In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

Their fanbase grew a lot with their newer stuff. You can't deny that it got to do why they changed their sound. Had a talk with Björn last year and discussed music with him where he mentioned Death being one of his biggest influence. Daniel said he got his influence from different Detah Metal bands (didn't mention any specific) and then we had Anders... "Atheist used to be such a big influence to me but nowdays I'm actually more for Skrillex and some songs from the radio." REALLY?! I'm not surprised with what they've turned into. Growing fanbase -> Power and money. Which equals madness. I've lost my hope for them.
Yes ofc you can't deny that they have grown a lot, their music has gotten more melodic and less death metal, that is not an opinion is it a fact. I was just disputing that they sold out on purpose and wrote the music just to sell more albums.

But one thing you are forgetting, those bands were their inspirations in the early 90's. Björn was inspired by DM yes, but he's also said countless of times that he grew up with the 80's metal scene such as Dio & Rainbow (He says that in the classic 1996 bootleg interview).

The band Daniel referred to as his inspiration to start Sacrilege and start drumming seriously in the early 90's is Deicide. But then again as you are forgetting this was their favorite bands when the were 18-25years old maybe. Most people expand or evolve their music tastes. They all had death metal ROOTS but not only. Except for Atheist, Anders favorite band back then was Alice in Chains. He also is a huge fan of Nine inch Nails and specifically Trent Reznor. Anders along with Peter is probably the ones who listens to the ''lightest'' music nowadays, but of course they still enjoy metal. But Anders has his own label and he listens to a lot of regular indie rock and other stuff. About Skrillex I do recall him saying that he had some Skrillex in his iPod in an interview 2years ago or something. Personally I hate dubstep-ish music. I doubt In Flames will implement any dubstep elements in their music though, so I am not worried.

Not everyone listens to DM in their youth and continues listening to the same stuff for 20years. Some people do though, but obviously not the members of In Flames. I know all of the members of In Flames listens to regular radio music, maybe their iPods isn't filled with only radio music but they aren't full-edged metalheads who only listens to metal.

It's like Opeth (I don't really like them though), Mikael Åkerfeldt made a prog-rock album last time and it was like another band, not even an essence of any sort of death metal, not even a riff. Many people hated that obviously, fans of the more older, Death Metal stuff. But he's bored of Death Metal and you gotta respect that, he should write whatever he wants to (which he does).

I have the same approach to IF. But some people like you simply can't get into the newer stuff and that just has to do with different music tastes. I don't understand the ''oldschool people'' who literally have been following IF for the last soon to be 6 albums (12years~) hoping and constantly whining that IF should go back to the roots. Give up already lol. Those people still have 5 albums + Subterannean which is like half of an album to listen to, that is plenty of good material.

Yes ofc you can't deny that they have grown a lot, their music has gotten more melodic and less death metal, that is not an opinion is it a fact. I was just disputing that they sold out on purpose and wrote the music just to sell more albums.

But one thing you are forgetting, those bands were their inspirations in the early 90's. Björn was inspired by DM yes, but he's also said countless of times that he grew up with the 80's metal scene such as Dio & Rainbow (He says that in the classic 1996 bootleg interview).

The band Daniel referred to as his inspiration to start Sacrilege and start drumming seriously in the early 90's is Deicide. But then again as you are forgetting this was their favorite bands when the were 18-25years old maybe. Most people expand or evolve their music tastes. They all had death metal ROOTS but not only. Except for Atheist, Anders favorite band back then was Alice in Chains. He also is a huge fan of Nine inch Nails and specifically Trent Reznor. Anders along with Peter is probably the ones who listens to the ''lightest'' music nowadays, but of course they still enjoy metal. But Anders has his own label and he listens to a lot of regular indie rock and other stuff. About Skrillex I do recall him saying that he had some Skrillex in his iPod in an interview 2years ago or something. Personally I hate dubstep-ish music. I doubt In Flames will implement any dubstep elements in their music though, so I am not worried.

Not everyone listens to DM in their youth and continues listening to the same stuff for 20years. Some people do though, but obviously not the members of In Flames. I know all of the members of In Flames listens to regular radio music, maybe their iPods isn't filled with only radio music but they aren't full-edged metalheads who only listens to metal.

It's like Opeth (I don't really like them though), Mikael Åkerfeldt made a prog-rock album last time and it was like another band, not even an essence of any sort of death metal, not even a riff. Many people hated that obviously, fans of the more older, Death Metal stuff. But he's bored of Death Metal and you gotta respect that, he should write whatever he wants to (which he does).

I have the same approach to IF. But some people like you simply can't get into the newer stuff and that just has to do with different music tastes. I don't understand the ''oldschool people'' who literally have been following IF for the last soon to be 6 albums (12years~) hoping and constantly whining that IF should go back to the roots. Give up already lol. Those people still have 5 albums + Subterannean which is like half of an album to listen to, that is plenty of good material.

I'm not forgetting it, my music taste have been wider through the years and I can enjoy for example country. I'm one of those to hope that they will find back to their earlier roots. Not particularly just for the upcoming album/albums (depending on how long they continue) but because of (and here comes the most annoying thing about them imo) they do not even play their earlier stuff live. Sure "The Hive" and "Embody the Invincible" but hey that's not enough to cheer about... At least I think that they could respect (?) us fans who are into Subterranean - Clayman. Seriously I just want to hear Artifacts of the Black Rain or Behind Space again live, is that too much to ask for?... I know that they've gone from Melodic Death Metal to Melodic Metal so I shouldn't have big hopes for the upcoming album but if they at least could throw in their earlier material in the line up too then I would gain more respect for them again. As with Behemoth when I saw them live here in Gothenburg and Stockholm I were so excited that they played songs from Zus Kia Cultus, Thelema 6 and Satanica along with their newest stuff.

I'm not forgetting it, my music taste have been wider through the years and I can enjoy for example country. I'm one of those to hope that they will find back to their earlier roots. Not particularly just for the upcoming album/albums (depending on how long they continue) but because of (and here comes the most annoying thing about them imo) they do not even play their earlier stuff live. Sure "The Hive" and "Embody the Invincible" but hey that's not enough to cheer about... At least I think that they could respect (?) us fans who are into Subterranean - Clayman. Seriously I just want to hear Artifacts of the Black Rain or Behind Space again live, is that too much to ask for?... I know that they've gone from Melodic Death Metal to Melodic Metal so I shouldn't have big hopes for the upcoming album but if they at least could throw in their earlier material in the line up too then I would gain more respect for them again. As with Behemoth when I saw them live here in Gothenburg and Stockholm I were so excited that they played songs from Zus Kia Cultus, Thelema 6 and Satanica along with their newest stuff.

Yeah I know about the setlists...But they've stated about 100 times that it's because the crowd doesn't react or move to the songs as much, so even though they say they want to play more old stuff, it's understandable they don't because who wants to play if 10% of the crowd is moving only and the other ones are just standing there. If you remember during the Gigantour in 2008, they did a setlist with about half songs being ''old in flames'' and they said on some concerts if you don't start moving it might be the last time we play these songs, and obviously many people didn't move.

At least now they've played The Hive a lot the last few years so it's almost a staple song now. They played Behind space a few years back in 2009/2010 as well I think. And Artifacts of the Black Rain was played 2 years ago also. Though, they haven't played anything from Lunar Strain or Subterranean since 99/2000 (except for Behind Space) so that hasn't really anything to do with the ''new'' fans more that they probably don't like to play them live.

It is kind of a catch 22, because there's a very minority who almost only wants to hear the old songs, and then there's the other 85% who don't even know the songs. That's just because of the difference in the music if u compare TJR to Alias from ASOP for example. At least they always throw in one song.

And then also there is the part where the older songs isn't really live material (in their opinion) because on TJR there's 4-5 guitar layers at times and that's obviously impossible to replicate with two guitarists, and the newer albums they say the write the song with the purpose of them sound good live, not to sound good only in the studio.

And there's no use hoping because 1. They don't want to do the same album again 2. They wouldn't be able to write something that would be a return to the roots and sound good at the same time

And Anders wouldn't even be able to do the screams & growls that he did on TJR and Whoracle because he said he just screamed without any technique at all, and you can clearly hear that on the 1996 bootleg, that's probably the worst vocals I've ever heard from Anders. I do wish he would growl more though, he has a nasty death growl that he uses 10x more times live than on the albums.

Yeah I know about the setlists...But they've stated about 100 times that it's because the crowd doesn't react or move to the songs as much, so even though they say they want to play more old stuff, it's understandable they don't because who wants to play if 10% of the crowd is moving only and the other ones are just standing there. If you remember during the Gigantour in 2008, they did a setlist with about half songs being ''old in flames'' and they said on some concerts if you don't start moving it might be the last time we play these songs, and obviously many people didn't move.

At least now they've played The Hive a lot the last few years so it's almost a staple song now. They played Behind space a few years back in 2009/2010 as well I think. And Artifacts of the Black Rain was played 2 years ago also. Though, they haven't played anything from Lunar Strain or Subterranean since 99/2000 (except for Behind Space) so that hasn't really anything to do with the ''new'' fans more that they probably don't like to play them live.

It is kind of a catch 22, because there's a very minority who almost only wants to hear the old songs, and then there's the other 85% who don't even know the songs. That's just because of the difference in the music if u compare TJR to Alias from ASOP for example. At least they always throw in one song.

And then also there is the part where the older songs isn't really live material (in their opinion) because on TJR there's 4-5 guitar layers at times and that's obviously impossible to replicate with two guitarists, and the newer albums they say the write the song with the purpose of them sound good live, not to sound good only in the studio.

And there's no use hoping because 1. They don't want to do the same album again 2. They wouldn't be able to write something that would be a return to the roots and sound good at the same time

And Anders wouldn't even be able to do the screams & growls that he did on TJR and Whoracle because he said he just screamed without any technique at all, and you can clearly hear that on the 1996 bootleg, that's probably the worst vocals I've ever heard from Anders. I do wish he would growl more though, he has a nasty death growl that he uses 10x more times live than on the albums.

If that is the case then I can only say that the majority of In Flames fanbase sucks...

In Flames has announced the name of their new album

Siren Charms

It'll be released in September.

Did anyone see how their website was "hacked"? It was a pretty clever way to break the news.

In Flames has announced the name of their new album

Siren Charms

It'll be released in September.

Did anyone see how their website was "hacked"? It was a pretty clever way to break the news.
Yeah, fucking HELL that's long...Feels like I've been waiting for the album forever and it's 5 months away now -.-

Cool album title, it doesn't give me a typical ''In Flames album title'' feeling, sounds very different.

The song sample sounded very good even if it was short, that intro was beautiful.

Maybe since it's so far away they have some other special stuff released in the meantime, I saw on Peters instagram he's done some ''backstage'' stuff for in flames in the recent months, dont know what that entails though. Maybe they'll release a single early to feed the fans? Or maybe it's 2-3months away...

And lol at that website hack, definitely fooled me hard.

What album titles "sounded" like an In Flames album anyway?

The 5 second riff on their website reveal sounds pretty heavy...

Always excited to see the band still doing their thing.

The "hack" got me bad haha... but if you really read it you would see that no one really types shit like that hahaha no to mention the supposed hacker's username had the word "charming" in it.

And about them not playing older songs and the crowd not moving, that sucks. Everytime they play a show where I live the crowd is full of dudes literally screaming out loud: "COLONY!!!!" "CLAYMAN!!!!" "JESTER RACE!!!"

Anyone know if there's a way to edit the thread title? Would like to do it but couldn't find any edit option.

Siren charms, september... :guh:

Song samples sound quite generic and pop-ish.

Nice to see all the old faces that were around when SOAPF was coming up to release! Krofius, our inside man! And various other trolls/old-school-IF fans/defensive new fans

And already we have debates of Old IF VS New IF! Suprise suprise, same shit different year!

1. Siren Charms - sounds like a concept album. Kind of different for an In Flames title, but then again in retrospect A Sense of Purpose was a bit emo(tional) and Sounds of A Playground Fading was quite cryptic and evoked imagery. Probably not a concept album, just has that sort of ring to it. Sounds like a novel- Siren Charms by A. Friden

2. The little sound clip was great, loved the build up. The riff sounded very similar to the recent IF sound. Be interesting to see what impact, if any, Nichlas will have on the album

Nice.
https://twitter.com/InFlames_SWE/statuses/456430918106759169
And a teaser:
10151257_647528071962622_5406537703897489517_n.jpg

Looks like it could be a pretty different album cover this time around, can't wait for tomorrow.

The new album cover was sort of what I was imagining when I said that I thought the title sounded like a concept album.

I like the idea of some kind of theme revolving around the allure or song of a siren. I like albums that conjure up alot of imagery!

Damn the cover is awesome! And I love that they're using the old(er) In Flames font that they had between Reroute and Come Clarity.

The longer sample sounds good also, sounds like the production is somewhat similar to SOAPF but a bit crunchier, at least on first impression.

Damn the cover is awesome! And I love that they're using the old(er) In Flames font that they had between Reroute and Come Clarity.

Yeah hope so to, but the newer font was still included in the teaser at their website, but one can hope.

I like the cover and the longer clip. Sounds similar to SOAPF (should have a lot of solos and varing structures) and that's good with me. Also, I like the falcon or hawk that is kind of hidden around the face.

Also, why September? I know there was a delay or reason for cancelling their summer shows, but it seems like they have everything done with this album already.

EDIT: Oh, I get it. It's so they can say, "September is here again!"