In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

That article is obviously corporate-marketing horseshit. Better to stick with the first full tracklist review.

Anyways, I myself have always liked Anders' cleans (pre-ASOP)

Over the last decade I've kind of wished he'd go back to that "talking" during the verses like Colony, Clayman and Reroute. It worked well for him when coupled with what as someone called it a "growling" effect.

Fast forwarding to now, I don't know why they can't at the very least just stick with songs that are AT LEAST metalcoreish. Heavy enough, catchy and with good hard riffs/melodic choruses. I wouldn't mind if they never went back to the complexities of Colony or Clayman as long as they could stick with song structures like Cloud Connected, Trigger or even In Search for I (unlike the complicated Rusted Nail). You know? Songs that are just built simple.

At least it'd still be heavy metal.

Hey guys, that's been a while since I last came here. Thanks to Krofius for posting the track-by-track here.
As I've posted a bit everywhere, Sony asked us to take it down for the week and to wait for the band to post its own one. They made no threat toward our website and were very kind in their message. But seeing that review getting the spotlight instead, we were kind of upset. Anyway we'll wait a couple of days more to see what's going on in In Flames camp.

In the meantime, if you have any question about Siren Charms, I'll be glad to answer you.

keep dreaming. those days are long gone. they're a corporate cash machine now. they don't have to try.

I feel like this doesn't make sense in the context that he was saying they should go back to ASOP when they wrote simplier yet heavier songs. If they were a corporate cash machine now then they would do exactly that. For the most part, every song on that album has the same structure. They wouldn't be mixing up all the songs with varying structures if they were just a cash cow.

i just mean that since they've earned their cash they don't have to try. they can experiment and be "creative" and all that jazz, but no real energy or thought or hard work is going into the music. the blood, sweat and tears of the jester race/whoracle/colony days have long been replaced by designer clothes, martinis and ego. sorry, but it's true.

the blood, sweat and tears of the jester race/whoracle/colony days have long been replaced by designer clothes, martinis and ego. sorry, but it's true.

Yeah lots of blood sweat and tears and tekken and beers back in the days. Ego?

Anyways... Hi gays! I like the new songs, Rusted nail is good, Through oblivion is better. I'm looking forward to another melodic death NU-metal masterpiece by N'Flamez!

Is the rest of the album as awful as what's been released so far?

On the first listening, the album seemed really awful, all songs were like Neo/Rock ballads and Anders' constant whining was getting boring only after two tracks.
That might be surprising but the two singles are the songs that are the more reminiscent of In Flames so far.
There's this track "Dead Eyes" you'll probably find awful because of its chorus. And there's also "When the World Explodes" with its lyric female singing that just sounds weird and out of place.

However after about ten listenings I can tell you I appreciate most of the album but I don't really listen to it as an "In Flames album", it is clearly too different for me. That's more some chill-out Rock album with easy-listening and catchy tunes.
I've already made some ranking of the tracks:
- the ones I don't like because they're boring and basic:
Everything's Gone (bad Neo/Metalcore)
Siren Charms (plein dull)

- the mediocre ones with only some catchy hooks:
Through Oblivion
With Eyes Wide Open
Rusted Nail

- the more dynamic and better written ones:
In Plain View
Monsters In The Ballroom
Filtered Truth
The Chase

- the ones that keep getting better and better:
When The World Explodes
Paralyzed
Dead Eyes
Become The Sky

Are there any decent riffs, melodies or solos?
About the solos I think you can forget them. Björn always uses pedals and it's annoying as hell. As I've written on the track-by-track, the one from "Filtered Truth" is the more decent one (not counting the bonus tracks which are definitely superior).

Riffs are mostly basic modern riffs like we've already heard on Sounds Of A Playground Fading, nothing to really be amazed at. Some are efficient and groovy though.

As for the melodies it depends on what you like. Lead guitars are mostly in the background in the mix and synths are very present. That creates catchy melodies at times and that's it. My favorite ones are the riff from "Become The Sky" which really gets in your head, and all the arrangements on "When The World Explodes" which are perhaps eerie but also daunting.

Don't expect any groundbreaking songwriting.

Thanks bro. That's about the same impression I got from Rusted Nail and Through Oblivion.

I really don't understand what happened to Bjorn... Washed out riffs and repetitive solos over-saturated with wah pedal (Kirk Hammett all over again).

Also, I can understand they are getting older and growling isn't that cool anymore, but Anders just can't sing. He has one of THE most annoying voices in music business. And that is after going through serious amounts of studio magic.

Live (Wacken 2012) it's a fucking catastrophe. If his name was Peter "Unknown dude" Peters, I honestly think 99% of the crowd would laugh at "drunk dude trying to sing on stage". Why try something you can not do over and over again? No amount of keyboards, pedals, backing tracks, effects and other stuff will ever remedy that.

And that's just the problem. IF music is now based on choruses and choruses alone. Choruses are based on Anders singing. Anders can't sing. Everything else is there just because songs are supposed to have something around choruses. In 8 or 9/10 cases there are no memorable riffs, no memorable melodies (God, remember those sweet, sweet harmonized leads of old), solos are atrocious, song structures are dumbed down beyond belief.

And even in those rare cases when they do have some valuable piece of music to show off, it is buried down beneath layers and layers of keys, effects and loud drums (btw, drumming on newer albums is quite good by IF standards).

Still, it is an IF album. I will listen to it. I will try hard to like it. I will probably find a passable song here and there... And in a few days or weeks I will forget about it completely.

Live (Wacken 2012) it's a fucking catastrophe. If his name was Peter "Unknown dude" Peters, I honestly think 99% of the crowd would laugh at "drunk dude trying to sing on stage". Why try something you can not do over and over again? No amount of keyboards, pedals, backing tracks, effects and other stuff will ever remedy that.

Hey hey hey hey there... Wacken 2012 was pure sickness or worn downness (which Anders' voice is so much more prone to than most vocalists)

Cloud Connected live at Open Flair 2013 on Youtube his voice was pretty damn good : ]

Hey hey hey hey there... Wacken 2012 was pure sickness or worn downness (which Anders' voice is so much more prone to than most vocalists)

Cloud Connected live at Open Flair 2013 on Youtube his voice was pretty damn good : ]

It was okay-ish, but that was screaming, not clean singing.

When doing the chorus part, he screams/sings out of tune and improvises to cover for the missing "studio magic". And that was RTR song. Not nearly fucked up like the stuff they recorded after.

It was okay-ish, but that was screaming, not clean singing.

When doing the chorus part, he screams/sings out of tune and improvises to cover for the missing "studio magic". And that was RTR song. Not nearly fucked up like the stuff they recorded after.

Correct, whoops my bad

On the first listening, the album seemed really awful, all songs were like Neo/Rock ballads and Anders' constant whining was getting boring only after two tracks.
That might be surprising but the two singles are the songs that are the more reminiscent of In Flames so far.
There's this track "Dead Eyes" you'll probably find awful because of its chorus. And there's also "When the World Explodes" with its lyric female singing that just sounds weird and out of place.

However after about ten listenings I can tell you I appreciate most of the album but I don't really listen to it as an "In Flames album", it is clearly too different for me. That's more some chill-out Rock album with easy-listening and catchy tunes.
I've already made some ranking of the tracks:
- the ones I don't like because they're boring and basic:
Everything's Gone (bad Neo/Metalcore)
Siren Charms (plein dull)

- the mediocre ones with only some catchy hooks:
Through Oblivion
With Eyes Wide Open
Rusted Nail

- the more dynamic and better written ones:
In Plain View
Monsters In The Ballroom
Filtered Truth
The Chase

- the ones that keep getting better and better:
When The World Explodes
Paralyzed
Dead Eyes
Become The Sky

About the solos I think you can forget them. Björn always uses pedals and it's annoying as hell. As I've written on the track-by-track, the one from "Filtered Truth" is the more decent one (not counting the bonus tracks which are definitely superior).

Riffs are mostly basic modern riffs like we've already heard on Sounds Of A Playground Fading, nothing to really be amazed at. Some are efficient and groovy though.

As for the melodies it depends on what you like. Lead guitars are mostly in the background in the mix and synths are very present. That creates catchy melodies at times and that's it. My favorite ones are the riff from "Become The Sky" which really gets in your head, and all the arrangements on "When The World Explodes" which are perhaps eerie but also daunting.

Don't expect any groundbreaking songwriting.

I don't like the sound of this at all. Thanks for the detailed response though.

I agree completely with A88, Anders has, hands down, one of the worst singing voices I've heard from any remotely popular band. I genuinely have no idea how he gets away with putting so many cleans on an album and not getting criticised for it. He's never been able to sing and still can't. In Flames are fortunate they can write catchy melodies (vocally and otherwise) in their sleep, as this is the only reason Anders' vocals are passable in any of their better recent songs (Where the Dead Ships Dwell and Ropes, for example).

Got to listen to "Everything is Gone" on Sirius/XM here in the states.

Fuckin WAAAAYYYY better than Rusted Nail and Through Oblivion although to be fair, Through Oblivion is more of a chill song.

Screams were real heavy in this song, nice heavy lead riff and choruses vocally were nice and brutal. A bit heavier than the screams on ASOP and SOAPF

Cleans in the verses were pretty nu-metalish but clear sounding and reminded me of the style of singing Anders did on Reroute and STYE

Some faith has def been restored in the new record. It's not 15 years ago, but it's still metal.

In Anders' interview posted earlier, he said the company basically picked what singles we'd hear first. I really think they should've released "Everything is Gone" as one of the singles because that way at least people would see that they're still relatively heavy and not hammer them so bad online about it.

Got to listen to "Everything is Gone" on Sirius/XM here in the states.

Fuckin WAAAAYYYY better than Rusted Nail and Through Oblivion although to be fair, Through Oblivion is more of a chill song.

Screams were real heavy in this song, nice heavy lead riff and choruses vocally were nice and brutal. A bit heavier than the screams on ASOP and SOAPF

Cleans in the verses were pretty nu-metalish but clear sounding and reminded me of the style of singing Anders did on Reroute and STYE

Some faith has def been restored in the new record. It's not 15 years ago, but it's still metal.

In Anders' interview posted earlier, he said the company basically picked what singles we'd hear first. I really think they should've released "Everything is Gone" as one of the singles because that way at least people would see that they're still relatively heavy and not hammer them so bad online about it.

And did someone ripped this song?