Is In Flames still melodeath?

Is In Flames Melodeath?

• Yes

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • No

Votes: 32 58.2%

• Total voters
i think with this new cd they might try to get more melodic. But hearing twos songs its heard to tell so far vocals are worse but guitar riffs are become more melodic so yes.

Yes they are, if you took death metal or black metal music and put clean vocals over it, you'd certainly not call it death or black metal.

Not 100%. Listen to the instruments of new In Flames. Very melo-deathish. His vocals, however, aren't. That's what we call mixed genres.

Example: trance with a hint of progressive. In this case, melo-death with some metalcore.

I see what you mean, but I honestly judge the instruments before the vocals when determining a genre. Take Paths of Possession for example. Examine his vocals and you've got pure death metal, but look at the instruments and you've got some damn nice melodies. 'suppose it's how you look at it.

I voted no, Some of the earlier albums, particulary Whoracle, I would have said yes.

They are definitely melo"something" but I wouldnt classify it as death. The first thing I thought after I popped in Come Clarity in my stereo, was wow they are shooting for the sound Killswitch Engage had with Jesse Leach.

What makes it even tougher to classify IF is that they sound different on EVERY album (to me at least), I guess this can be good or not as good if you really liked one of their styles.

For those who dont visit the DT board, an interview of someone who might be considered an expert on the subject:
http://www.metalteamuk.net/interview-darktranquillity.htm
:
"
PW: The Gothenburg metal scene and as far as the groups that evolved from it around the same time as yourselves has changed in quite a lot of respect. In Flames, have taken a more commercial slant, The Haunted have frankly gone rather odd and newer bands such as Avatar; Engel and One Man Army And The Undead Quartet are springing up from in many cases the remains of fallen bands. How do you think things have changed lately?

MS: I guess what goes around comes around really. We still all really have the same mindset when it comes to the music, we can all still hang out and talk about what’s real and what’s interesting. Everyone has gone out and used their different influences in different ways. This is I think natural and not been forced in any way, but is a natural progression and is really cool. The Haunted, could have just been a progression of At The Gates, they chose a totally different plan, which I think is fantastic. In Flames have gone from like death metal to something else, it’s amazing, it works out well for them. That is what it’s all about, taking your influence, taking your background into something new and original.
"

Yes they are, if you took death metal or black metal music and put clean vocals over it, you'd certainly not call it death or black metal.

You are wrong.

Listen to Dew Scented. Is it death metal? No. Does it have death vocals? Yes.
If you insist on continuing this I'll have to come up with a long, boring list. So please accept that you are simply wrong.

You don't understand. At this point this is less about the band's actual genre and more about pride.

You are wrong.

Listen to Dew Scented. Is it death metal? No. Does it have death vocals? Yes.
If you insist on continuing this I'll have to come up with a long, boring list. So please accept that you are simply wrong.

I meant if you took Cannibal Corpse's music and put Coheed and Cambria's singing over it. You'd not call it death metal.

I voted yes based on The Mirror's Truth (the EP, not necessarily the song) and other leaked songs from aSoP. I was very impressed with what I heard. As for Come Clarity, STYE, and RtR, I would classify that as melodic alternative metal.

see, im not the only one dude. just give it up already. and plus, the proper thing to do would be to post this somewhere neutral, like the GMD forum and as if in flames still plays "proper" or "real" melodic death metal because clearly you, and a lot of other in flames fans consider this new material melodic death metal in your pathetic definition...