Learning Swedish?

i didn't follow the interview. i know there should be a translation somewhere on the Borky forum but i'd lost the link before i had time to watch it :(

that was exactly why i asked: i had a discussion with my friend about how to pronounce norwegian "ei" sound and whether it's more like østen or østain :D that was also one of the reasons why i didn't talk to Øystein after the gig in Leeuwarden in september :oops::oops:

i didn't follow the interview. i know there should be a translation somewhere on the Borky forum but i'd lost the link before i had time to watch it :(

that was exactly why i asked: i had a discussion with my friend about how to pronounce norwegian "ei" sound and whether it's more like østen or østain :D that was also one of the reasons why i didn't talk to Øystein after the gig in Leeuwarden in september :oops::oops:

Yeah, I translated it. It's here.

I don't think the pronounciation differs that much from Dutch actually.
yes that's what i thought too, but in this case it does seem to differ, in Dutch you'd pronounce it as øystain i suppose...

thnx Agah, i'll add it to the interviews list if you don't mind?

So Øystein was talking in Norwegian and Andreas in Swedish, right? Is it easy for a Norwegian to understand spoken Swedish (and the other way around)?

yes that's what i thought too, but in this case it does seem to differ, in Dutch you'd pronounce it as øystain i suppose...

thnx Agah, i'll add it to the interviews list if you don't mind?

So Øystein was talking in Norwegian and Andreas in Swedish, right? Is it easy for a Norwegian to understand spoken Swedish (and the other way around)?

Yeah, just add it. And yes, Swedes, Danes and Norwegians understand each other well. But many people have trouble understanding spoken danish because they speak really weird. It's normal to say that all Danes have a potato in their mouth when they speak.

thnx! i just found an interesting article about this subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Germanic_languages#Mutual_intelligibility

Scandinavians are widely expected to understand the other spoken Scandinavian languages. Some people may have some difficulties, particularly older people who speak a dialect, but most people can understand the standard languages, as they appear in radio and television, of the other Scandinavian countries. The lowest degree of intelligibility is between spoken Danish and Swedish. The relationships between the three languages Danish, Norwegian and Swedish may be summarized as per the following diagram; Norwegian is sometimes humorously explained as "Danish spoken with a Swedish pronunciation":
250px-NGmc_relations.png

The mutual intelligibility between the Continental Scandinavian languages is asymmetrical. Various studies have shown Norwegian-speakers to be the best in Scandinavia at understanding other languages within the language group. According to a study undertaken during 2002–2005 and funded by the Nordic Cultural Fund, Swedish-speakers in Stockholm and Danish-speakers in Copenhagen have the greatest difficulty in understanding other Nordic languages.

It's always funny when you watch the news or some drama production in Sweden when there's a Danish person involved. They speak to eachother like everything is fine, while no one who watches it would understand a thing without subtitles.
I also don't understand Øystein to 100%, however I do understand the interviewer, so it depends a lot on dialects too. But yeah, Danish differs significantly from Swedish and Norwegian when it comes to speech, the untrained ear could even mistake it for German.

It's always funny when you watch the news or some drama production in Sweden when there's a Danish person involved. They speak to eachother like everything is fine, while no one who watches it would understand a thing without subtitles.
I also don't understand Øystein to 100%, however I do understand the interviewer, so it depends a lot on dialects too. But yeah, Danish differs significantly from Swedish and Norwegian when it comes to speech, the untrained ear could even mistake it for German.

How is it with dialects in Sweden? I know the people in Skåne speak really different from the Swedish I'm used to, but are there a lot of different ones? Here in Norway we have so many different dialects, some of them sound like an entirely different language.

A good example of this being in the Danish TV show Ørnen which is shown here in Australia. I don't understand a thing for the most part, but then all of a sudden a Swedish character will appear and I understand a great deal. But yes, the two nationalities converse between themselves without any difficulty at all on that show.

I often describe Danish as a mix between Norwegian and German. I speak Swedish and German, I can understand some Norwegian and Dutch (mainly written), but spoken Danish is just completely unintelligible.

How is it with dialects in Sweden? I know the people in Skåne speak really different from the Swedish I'm used to, but are there a lot of different ones? Here in Norway we have so many different dialects, some of them sound like an entirely different language.

Yeah there are tons of different dialects in Swedish too. That's why it's so wrong to say that "Swedish and Norwegian are like dialects of the same language". If we take Skåne as an example, you can even take Skåne alone and break Skånska down in several dialects of their own:

And it's like that everywhere, so there's hundreds of different dialects.

And then you have stuff like Dalmål like they speak in Dalarna, probably the most Norwegian influenced dialect:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRwG3tMvX4&feature=related[/ame]

On Gotland they speak very weird, it's like they add or change a vocal for every word:

Here you have Norrländska, like Mr V, and me :), but of course there exist more than one types of it. Around 5:30 you can also hear an imitation of Sweden's funniest dialect, Östgötska.

I don't know how much of a difference you hear as a Norwegian. Post some different Norwegian dialects and lets see if I can hear any difference :)

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Hey excellent videos, thanks a lot! The Östgötska variation sounds really funny :p , they like to drag the sounds a lot apparently.

Nice, thanks a lot!

And I'm sure this has been posted here around three times, but maybe the new guys/gals haven't seen it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk[/ame]

It cracks me up every time :lol: . Help us, please help us! :lol:

I wonder if there are any studies on the Swedish immigrants from other countries in Sweden have, maybe I should look one up.

for me the most understandable is the dialect from gotland. yeah he speaks weird but really slow with much harder sounds, so i understand better what he says (not everything of course, but more words than in the others)
the second is Norrländska, while the third, it looks like he has swallowed a fish-bone :lol:

but if i've understood right the difference among dialects is just a difference in pronunciation and intonation? i mean, is the vocabulary almost the same in all sweden?

As I love all of you fellow Mr V forum members very much, and a lot of you are, like me, very passionate about languages. Due to this, I give you a pirate version of Rosetta Stone! The Ultimate Rosetta (second link), contains Swedish, the first doesn't. If you have problems with understanding the Spanish stuff let me know.

Mac (PC too, I believe. Only Intel Macs. Ver. 3.0):

http://ba-k.com/showthread.php?t=355097&highlight=rosetta

Ultimate (not sure if for PC or Mac, probably for both too. V.2.8. Contains Swedish, and a total of TWENTY-SEVEN languages):
http://ba-k.com/showthread.php?t=660710&highlight=Ultimate+Rosetta+Stone

I'm doing French lvl. 1, unit 1, and I can just say this: My life was empty before Rosetta Stone :lol: . Pretty amazing software, indeed. I know most of the stuff, but it's really an excellent review of the most basic stuff hehe, e.g. I had forgotten how the heck to write, well, write: 'écrivent' . I can't believe how much I've forgotten, stuff like 'elles' ist plural o_O hahaha . Oh well it's been 2 years since I went to Paris, and 7 (scheiße) since I had any formal lessons. I try to speak with my grandma, since she was a French teacher (and a bloody good one, I say), but she's way more advanced than I am hahahahaha :lol: .

Obviously, do not update the software. And when you use it try to be off-line the entire time.

Enjoy!!! :kickass:

Thanks, I corrected it, don't know what happened. Safari, for some reason, has a tendency to mess up the links that I post, e.g. from e-bay.

do i have to download all the files???
it will take one year :lol:
well i'm gonna do it :oops: