Learning Swedish?

:lol: @ Runk.

Draugen said:
23. Vintersorg Visions From The Spiral Generator Extremt komplex och progressiv metal som Opeth önskade att de kunde göra

Not to be a dick or anything: but this is an entirely different style of metal from what Opeth is doing. And if you want to talk about complex and progressive metal there are plenty of bands that make way more progressive, complex, technical music that ranges far beyond what Vintersorg is trying to accomplish. I'm both a big Vintersorg fan (obviously) and a big Opeth fan: I would never draw a comparison between the two because I think it's basically apples and oranges.

Defiance said:
Well I'm sure "arubaito" sounds awfully familiar to you, since it comes from German Arbeit. It is a Gairaigo, very interesting.

Well, it's not really a gairaigo, right? Because a Gairaigo is just a Japanese concept. It's just a German loan word. The process of taking the word and making it work in your language happens in every language.

Not to be a dick or anything: but this is an entirely different style of metal from what Opeth is doing. And if you want to talk about complex and progressive metal there are plenty of bands that make way more progressive, complex, technical music that ranges far beyond what Vintersorg is trying to accomplish. I'm both a big Vintersorg fan (obviously) and a big Opeth fan: I would never draw a comparison between the two because I think it's basically apples and oranges.

I hear you and I agree it's not really a fair comparison. It's just that I'm soooo sick and tired of all the Opeth-fanboys out there (and amongst my friends). I know that they are really a talented bunch of guys (Opeth, not my friends) and they know how to make complex and technical music. I guess I just wanted to point out that Vintersorg makes complex and technical music which is a joy to listen to - IMO just the opposite of what Opeth's doing. Also, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a comparison of apples and oranges - more like apples and pears. :p

So basicly, what I meant by that sentence was more that I, rather than Opeth, wished they made music that would please my ears. Unfourtunatley, they don't.

Oh and trust me, I know there's plenty of bands out there that are far more complex and technical than V (and Opeth as well). But that's usually not my cup of tea either...

I hear you and I agree it's not really a fair comparison. It's just that I'm soooo sick and tired of all the Opeth-fanboys out there (and amongst my friends). I know that they are really a talented bunch of guys (Opeth, not my friends) and they know how to make complex and technical music. I guess I just wanted to point out that Vintersorg makes complex and technical music which is a joy to listen to - IMO just the opposite of what Opeth's doing. Also, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a comparison of apples and oranges - more like apples and pears. :p

So basicly, what I meant by that sentence was more that I, rather than Opeth, wished they made music that would please my ears. Unfourtunatley, they don't.

Oh and trust me, I know there's plenty of bands out there that are far more complex and technical than V (and Opeth as well). But that's usually not my cup of tea either...

Ahh, alright. I've been a bit of an Opeth fanboy myself. They're great. Though, not terribly impressed with Watershed. Totally overrated record, IMO.

Ahh, alright. I've been a bit of an Opeth fanboy myself. They're great. Though, not terribly impressed with Watershed. Totally overrated record, IMO.
definitely! man i hated it sooo much, i didn't listen to it for a year, since last winter... Now i played it again a few weeks ago, it sounded ok to me this time, just a bit too poppy or something... and Mikael's clean vocals is so sugarsweet at times, it almost sounds gay :rolleyes:

back on topic: can anybody tell me (Agah maybe?) what forhufset means? Does it have something to do with Hufsa? i googled it with no luck :rolleyes:

definitely! man i hated it sooo much, i didn't listen to it for a year, since last winter... Now i played it again a few weeks ago, it sounded ok to me this time, just a bit too poppy or something... and Mikael's clean vocals is so sugarsweet at times, it almost sounds gay :rolleyes:

back on topic: can anybody tell me (Agah maybe?) what forhufset means? Does it have something to do with Hufsa? i googled it with no luck :rolleyes:

I don't know what the definition of the word is, but I've seen it being used to exaggerate the coldness of the weather, and to describe people who are cold.
"What a (forhufset) weather" "A (forhufset) man sat on the cold stairs"
I think the Norwegian name for Hufsa in the Moomin cartoon came from this word.

I don't know what the definition of the word is, but I've seen it being used to exaggerate the coldness of the weather, and to describe people who are cold.
"What a (forhufset) weather" "A (forhufset) man sat on the cold stairs"
I think the Norwegian name for Hufsa in the Moomin cartoon came from this word.
cool! :D thnx for the info Agah! So basically forhufset means something like "grim and frostbitten" :lol: how trve to have it printed on the back of the shirt then :lol::headbang:

Not Swedish, but I finished the Michel Thomas Mandarin Chinese Advanced course last week, doing Pimsleur's Mandarin Chinese course now, pretty beginner stuff as well but that's what I am.:) 5 lessons in it seems pretty good, I'm having a lot of fun.:) A couple more months of this, the Michel Thomas Mandarin Chinese Vocabulary course + some other stuff and hopefully I'll feel ready to start finding Mandarin speakers online to chat with.

From http://www.dailywritingtips.com/:

The Naked Truth About “Gym” and “Gymno”
Posted: 10 Jan 2010 05:00 PM PST
Our word gymnasium comes from a Greek noun meaning “place to be naked,” or “place to exercise.” The adjective was gymnos, “naked.” Greek athletes exercised in the nude.

The Greek gymnasium was for more than just working out. It was also a place for bathing and having scholarly discussions.

The founder of the “cynic” school of philosophy, Antisthenes, taught in a gymnasium in Athens. The name of his philosophical school is usually explained as a reference to the “biting” sarcasm practiced by its proponents. Cynic is from the Greek kynikos, “dog-like.” However, the name could have originated from the name of the gymnasium in which Antisthenes taught: Kynosarge, “Grey Dog.”

The prefix gymno- (gymn- in front of vowels) is frequently encountered in the study of botany and zoology.

gymnosperm: “naked seed” (evergreens like the pine, hemlock, and fir)

gymnorhinal: “having naked nostrils” (some birds have feathers on their nostrils; some don’t)

gymnogenous: “naked when hatched” (some birds are born with feathers; some aren’t)

The ancient Greeks gave the name gymnosophist to a sect of vegetarian Hindu philosophers who wore little or no clothing.

Some gymno- words refer to attitudes towards nudity.

gymnomania:
The obsession of the “peeping Tom”; male voyeurism.
2. A compulsion to be naked.
3. An abnormal interest in nakedness.
Note: A male voyeur is called a gymnogynomaniac.

gymnoscopic
A reference to a desire to see naked bodies.
gymnoscopy: Sexual pleasure derived from viewing the nakedness of the opposite sex.

gymnophily
1. Having a special fondness for being in the nude.
An abnormal interest in nakedness.

gymnophobia
1. A pathological fear of being naked.
A morbid dread of seeing a naked person or of an uncovered part of the body.

gymnophoria
The sense that someone is mentally undressing you, or that a person is viewing you naked even though you are clothed.

There’s are even gymno- words you can use when talking about the Bible.

gymnobiblism: The opinion that the bare text of the Bible, without note or comment, may be safely put before the unlearned as a sufficient guide to religious truth. gymnobiblical (adjective) pertaining to, or holding, this opinion gymnobiblist (noun), a believer in gymnobiblism.

Daily Writing Tips. The Naked Truth About “Gym” and “Gymno”. Internet Post. 2010. Web.

gymnophobia
1. A pathological fear of being naked.
A morbid dread of seeing a naked person or of an uncovered part of the body.

059d777a72ernude.jpg

Gymnasium=working out in the nude?
sounds so ancient greece or 1930's german gay body worship movies.
I have nothing against nudity...I just think it's not such a good idea to get hit in the balls with a dumbell without wearing a cup.
Always play it safe when it comes to your balls!!!

Gymnasium=working out in the nude?
sounds so ancient greece or 1930's german gay body worship movies.
I have nothing against nudity...I just think it's not such a good idea to get hit in the balls with a dumbell without wearing a cup.
Always play it safe when it comes to your balls!!!

Yeah I thought something similar :lol:.

Interesting article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8498534.stm

Omg, didn't know this. And in German and even Swedish (to come back to topic ;)) "gymnasium" is a kind of a highschool. Haha, wouldn't that be good stuff for some trashy hentai movie? :lol:

Well, I just watched "Populärmusik från Vittula". Quite a decent movie. But I suppose, the book is better, although I haven't read it (yet?).
Watched it with Swedish sound plus Swedish subtitles :lol:

Omg, didn't know this. And in German and even Swedish (to come back to topic ;)) "gymnasium" is a kind of a highschool. Haha, wouldn't that be good stuff for some trashy hentai movie? :lol:

Well, I just watched "Populärmusik från Vittula". Quite a decent movie. But I suppose, the book is better, although I haven't read it (yet?).
Watched it with Swedish sound plus Swedish subtitles :lol:

Populärmusik från Vittula is an interesting movie and I've heard the book is great (so says the gf). I watched that movie with subtitles, too. They use quite a bit of Finnish slang that I had no clue about.

I didn't like it very much. This scene was good though, that man always plays "the asshole" in movies for some reason.

By the way, I don't know if it has been mentioned already, but those who are learning the language should check out Fredrik Lindströms two sociolingustic series Svenska Dialektmysterier and Värsta Språket.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcCKIMWV1y8&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozrueZIc274&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved Värsta Språk. And the book version was really fascinating as well. I want to read more of his stuff.

Also, this show you posted is fascinating! Who knew that Skåningar were an oppressed minority! I just thought they had a weird accent. :lol:

Hmm I don't think so unfortunately. I should correct myself, it's probably not useful to learners, as you'd have to understand it to gain anything from it in the first place, heh. In this episode he's talking about the linguistic history of Skåne, explaining how it culturally differs quite significantly from the rest of Sweden, as it's more influenced by Denmark (it used to be East Denmark) and the continent as a whole. I don't know if you notice it, but the "back of the mouth - r" of Skånska is influenced by French, for example.

Hmm I don't think so unfortunately. I should correct myself, it's probably not useful to learners, as you'd have to understand it to gain anything from it in the first place, heh. In this episode he's talking about the linguistic history of Skåne, explaining how it culturally differs quite significantly from the rest of Sweden, as it's more influenced by Denmark (it used to be East Denmark) and the continent as a whole. I don't know if you notice it, but the "back of the mouth - r" of Skånska is influenced by French, for example.

Off topic question: Does "Runk" mean the same in Swedish as it does in Norwegian? :lol:

Fap fap.