Learning Swedish?

i fear i've understood the joke in a wrong way...

i tought that får could mean also "can" like "får jag tala med dig?" "can i speak wit you?"
so could it be that får får is also like "can (I) get/obtain" ??????

Really, there are two ways to interpret this joke: and it will not be funny once it has been explained, as with all jokes:

Får is a sheep. Får is also the verb "to receive". So either it could be a kid asking "Can I? Can I? Can I?" or it could be a kid asking a question "Do sheep have sheep?" to which his father replies "No, sheep have lambs." See. Not funny. Though I did laugh the first time I saw it. It's the kind of joke my dad would tell, sadly.. :lol:

In reference to your question: that can be hard. The article is used when you're speaking about a specific thing. I still have issues with this as well, because Swedes talk about generalities with and without articles and it's hard for me to know when. Often times you talk about, for example, THE global capitalism or THE feminism, things that you would never talk about that way in English. Får is also a strange word because it doesn't have a plural form, or well, it does, but it's the same as the singular. Also, it doesn't have an article because you're talking about sheep in general. The kid isn't asking about a specific sheep, and therefore it doesn't need an article.

:lol::lol::lol: that's so funny! Hahahahahaha!

I thought the articles were quite easy, don't confuse me :err: . The 'sheep' issue is the same as in English, yet interestingly enough, not in German (s) Schafe, (i) Schafen.

See. Not funny. Though I did laugh the first time I saw it. It's the kind of joke my dad would tell, sadly.. :lol:

Well, I love play on words. I'm not a lyrical genious nor a gay fish, though :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: that's so funny! Hahahahahaha!

I thought the articles were quite easy, don't confuse me :err: . The 'sheep' issue is the same as in English, yet interestingly enough, not in German (s) Schafe, (i) Schafen.

Sorry, but it's Schaf — Schafe.
The neutral noun class with a zero morph (= "no ending" for the linguistic ignorant ;)) in nominative plural disappeared in German but is still there in the Scandinavian languages. There are plenty of examples: ett får — två får, ett land — två land, etc.
In Middle High German it was still like daz lant — diu lant, daz wort — diu wort. But those words went over to other noun classes, namely those who generate the nominative plural with "-er" (+ umlaut) or "-e". So it's das Schaf — die Schafe and das Land — die Länder nowadays. Funny enough das Wort has both plural forms but with different meanings: die Wörter just means "words". But die Worte means words in a context. ;)

Well, I love play on words. I'm not a lyrical genious nor a gay fish, though :lol:

The neutral noun class with a zero morph (= "no ending" for the linguistic ignorant ;)) in nominative plural disappeared in German but is still there in the Scandinavian languages. There are plenty of examples: ett får — två får, ett land — två land, etc.
In Middle High German it was still like daz lant — diu lant, daz wort — diu wort. But those words went over to other noun classes, namely those who generate the nominative plural with "-er" (+ umlaut) or "-e". So it's das Schaf — die Schafe and das Land — die Länder nowadays. Funny enough das Wort has both plural forms but with different meanings: die Wörter just means "words". But die Worte means words in a context. ;)

I like them, too. And the får får får joke has stuck with me unfortunately.. :p

Here's something that my gf just played for me that was really quite funny.

Först träffade jag Marie-Louise och jösses vad jag blev kär.
Vi tänkte väl förlova oss, men min pappa sa tyvärr.
Håll fingrarna ifrån den damen min son och sky henne som pest.
För du och hon har samma far och då blir det incest.

Sen träffade jag Linnea och vi prasslade en tid.
Sen kunde det inte hjälpas att Linnea blev gravid.
När hennes mor fick se min far så stämde hon upp ett tjut.
Linnea var min syster och sen fick vi göra slut.

Anita och Carina, Britt-Louise och Siv.
Ja, hundra andra damer fick jag stryka ur mitt liv.
För pappa kände deras mor och sade till direkt.
Den kan du inte gifta dig med för ni är faktiskt släkt.

Förstår du nu medborgare att jag blev ganska sne.
Varenda dam i våran by var jag besläktad med.
Mitt sexualliv krånglade till aska blev min glöd.
Så jag gick till min mamma jag och klagade min nöd.

Då sa mamma så här:
Min käre son sa mamma då uti all enkelhet.
Din pappa är en jävla bock som alla människor vet.
Och alla dessa damer är han säkert upphov till.
Men han är inte far till dig så gift dig med vem du vill.

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry, but it's Schaf — Schafe.

That's what I get for doing a c/v and not checking what I'm copying and pasting. Ha! (What's worse is that I knew that, oh bollocks.)

Brilliant insight on Middle Highe German! Are there any books you can recommend on that? I love historical/diachronic linguistics, so I'd really appreciate it :) .

I like them, too. And the får får får joke has stuck with me unfortunately.. :p

Here's something that my gf just played for me that was really quite funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_JJaay6i_c

Då sa mamma så här:

Haha I actually understood a lot :lol: .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_JJaay6i_c

Då sa mamma så här:

Haha, sånt är livet! :lol:

That's what I get for doing a c/v and not checking what I'm copying and pasting. Ha! (What's worse is that I knew that, oh bollocks.)

Where did you c/p it from? I also don't understand the abbreviation "(i)" o_O

Brilliant insight on Middle Highe German! Are there any books you can recommend on that? I love historical/diachronic linguistics, so I'd really appreciate it :)

I don't really know any. I have a script from a lecture and a dictionary (Lexer: Mittelhochdeutsches Taschenwörterbuch). It's the most common.

I'll take a look if the script has got any references...
Oh, in the preface she refers to Paul, Wiehl, Grosse: Mittelhochdeutsche Grammatik.

Where did you c/p it from? I also don't understand the abbreviation "(i)" o_O

I don't really know any. I have a script from a lecture and a dictionary (Lexer: Mittelhochdeutsches Taschenwörterbuch). It's the most common.

I'll take a look if the script has got any references...
Oh, in the preface she refers to Paul, Wiehl, Grosse: Mittelhochdeutsche Grammatik.

Tjenare!

I took it from dict.cc , it's a great site,definitely the best On-line German dictionary. It was probably my fault, but I'm not sure. Ficcken Schafe :p .

So you is that lecture digital or printed? Could you send it to me please?

Hey I was supposed to send you a file or something like that? I did send it, right? :erk:

Nox Arcana - Blackthorn Asylum. Just checking to know if I can use it to ambient Trail Of Cthulhu.

@Defiance: Compai it's like our 'Compadre', more on the 'friend'-'dude' sense than the 'co-parent' original meaning. It's also said 'Cumpa, but mainly by delinquents and 'thugs'.

'Como estái' (originally 'como estáis') it's totally unrelated. It means 'how are you'. Here, most people don't pronounce the last 's' on most words, specially on verbs. Also when they talk about someone they usually add 'the' before the name, no matter if they use a nickname or the real name (which it's ridiculous IMO), like : El Juanito está muerto/The john is dead!

Haha I'm sorry, perhaps I wasn't too clear on what I was asking. My question was concerning the /I/ sound at the end of 'compai' and '¿cómo estai?' I just found it interesting that there's an /I/ sound in the end. Here in C.R. we say compa or 'mae'. So you say compadre?

Thanks for the info on Chilean Spanish, very interesting :) . Here people do say 'El Juan' or 'La María', but it'll usually be people from the countryside. People from the city make fun of the ones who speak like that; I'm from the city and it does sound funny, but I in no way mock them.

They do that in lots of places. Instead of como estas, I like to say "que hay, cabron."

Haha that does sound quite Mexican. It's obvious that you'd use a lot of anglicisms, but I wouldn't mind if you write a few. CRn Spanish is also plagued by anglicisms, more than in other countries in Central America IMO. I guess every language has its dose of anglicisms, but the guys from the R.A.E. do love to complain about that :p .

Haha that does sound quite Mexican. It's obvious that you'd use a lot of anglicisms, but I wouldn't mind if you write a few. CRn Spanish is also plagued by anglicisms, more than in other countries in Central America IMO. I guess every language has its dose of anglicisms, but the guys from the R.A.E. do love to complain about that :p .

May I ask what an 'anglicism' is? Because I'm thinking Anglican as in the church, and I know that's not what you mean! :lol: Is it like a borrowed word from English?

Tjenare!

I took it from dict.cc , it's a great site,definitely the best On-line German dictionary. It was probably my fault, but I'm not sure. Ficcken Schafe :p .

So you is that lecture digital or printed? Could you send it to me please?

Hey I was supposed to send you a file or something like that? I did send it, right? :erk:

It's printed and I don't have a scanner...
But it's just a very limited script anyway. You should be able to get more detailed material just by googling "Mittelhochdeutsche Grammatik". Right on the first page I found for example this one: http://www.freidok.uni-freiburg.de/volltexte/2075/pdf/Erlaeuterungen_zur_mhd_Grammatik.pdf

I never got what you sent me :/

I guess...I'm learning Swedish now. Or something. Considering that I just got some free books from my college bookstore.

They used to have night courses in Swedish, but they stopped offering them. But, they still had the books. So, I got:

2 books from the Svenska Institutet.
1 CD set, from the same place.
1 Swedish-English dictionary.
1 English-Swedish dictionary.

I don't know how much I'll get out of the books themselves, but the CDs may be interesting, and the dictionaries are outstanding!

So, I had to haul them home along with my C# book, but it was worth it.

I guess...I'm learning Swedish now. Or something. Considering that I just got some free books from my college bookstore.

They used to have night courses in Swedish, but they stopped offering them. But, they still had the books. So, I got:

2 books from the Svenska Institutet.
1 CD set, from the same place.
1 Swedish-English dictionary.
1 English-Swedish dictionary.

I don't know how much I'll get out of the books themselves, but the CDs may be interesting, and the dictionaries are outstanding!

So, I had to haul them home along with my C# book, but it was worth it.

I don't know those first books. What are they called?

Which dictionaries are they? The ones from University of Minnesota are like the best ones produced in the US. There's an amazing dictionary called "Natur och Kulturs Stora Svenska Ordbok" which, I'm not sure how easy it is to get outside the country, but is basically a dictionary in easy Swedish with really great definitions and references. It's the dictionary they suggest to all students of the language.

These are the books:

Svenska Utifrån, Övningar del 1
Svenska Utifrån, CD 1
Svenska Utifrån, svensk+engelsk & svensk-tysk ordlista

Prisma's English-Swedish dictionary
Prisma's Swedish-English dictionary

Ooh, Svenska Utifrån is what they use in the Basutbildningen early stages. That's the college preparatory Swedish class you can take.. Nice. And those Prisma dictionaries are the ones I was talking about. Super great dictionaries.

Awesome!

I have no idea when I'll be able to dig into it all, but I'm not going to turn down over $100 worth of learning and reference materials in a language I've been wanting to learn anyways!

For years, I've been struggling with which language I should learn - Norwegian or Swedish. Both have interested me for years now. I think that now I have my answer :)

Awesome!

I have no idea when I'll be able to dig into it all, but I'm not going to turn down over $100 worth of learning and reference materials in a language I've been wanting to learn anyways!

For years, I've been struggling with which language I should learn - Norwegian or Swedish. Both have interested me for years now. I think that now I have my answer :)

Norway's economy is way better than Swedens. And frankly, they have way more responsible governance these days. Hint hint. :lol:

These are the books:

Svenska Utifrån, Övningar del 1
Svenska Utifrån, CD 1
Svenska Utifrån, svensk+engelsk & svensk-tysk ordlista

Prisma's English-Swedish dictionary
Prisma's Swedish-English dictionary

Cool, I'll try to check them out.

Yeah, but don't expect that any time soon. :lol: Plus, then they'll just join the EU and ask for their bailout! ;)

AH hahahahaha :lol:, made my day. I guess Norge would be more deserving of a bailout than Greece.