Learning Swedish?

See, I knew it!!! I made a similar post in another forum and some Italian idiots got offended and said a load of crap to me. The moderator is racist anyhow.

I think, again, that the problem is the accent, I think it's quite strong. Also, non-verbal communication influences a lot because Italians move their hands a lot (just like us Latinos), but Brits (especially they) or US citizens don't do it as much.

And it's "taught," not "teached" :).

Also, did you read the quote on the beginning of this page I made to one of your posts? You might find it interesting :) .

Cheers! :kickass:

taught yes, you're right.....here's the proof ahahaha!!!!
yes i've read your post some time ago but i've always forgotten to answer back :oops: thanks for bringing it back again to my attention...

first of all it's not true that i cannot stand people of the south, i would like to be precise...i just talked about backwardness and not racism or hate.

i think there are a lot of factors which have generated this kind of backwardness....first historical events, before and after the union of italy, which was originally fragmented into little indipendent states under different governs or stranger's dominions, but i'm not the right person for speaking about this subject (i've always hated history :yuk:) which generated a fracture between the economy of the north and the south...still now a lot of people of the south emigrates in the north to find some job, because in the south there are less industries, less work, less opportunieties....
for some aspects is manfia's fault, which controls the economy and all the activities where money are involved (also public works and contract works, i don't know if you heard about the problem we had with trash last year, the south had all his tips full because mafia controlled them and accepted trash from the industrialized north in change of money and cities like Napoli where submerged from trash which cannot be stored anywhere) but for some other aspects not.
i think mentality is one of the main factors that still divides the north and the south. they have different values, families are stronger even in the wrong sense (protecting the family against the outer world, being a clan, hiding crimes, and so on, we call it "omerta", "i don't see i don't hear i don't speak" is the right slogan), women are seen in a different way, they are more religious, they believe more in honor and revenge, and they have generally closer minds.
nowadays the situation is getting better, the new generations are escaping from this closed atmosphere, but still this kind of mentally is radicated in some people, it dipends on where they have grown, the sociocultural contest, if they grew up in a city or in the contryside, education, social position and so on....
this is just for giving you an example: some years ago i went to budapest with some friends of mine. i was 19 and i had just finished school, so i had this trip to hungary. we were 5 girls travelling alone. on the train we met 3 guys of our same age from Sicilia, the isle, who where going to budapest too. we started to talk with them and i got quite shocked because they couldn't speak a word of english, they never left italy before and most of all never went outside their isle....this sounded like a madness to me!
then they asked us if we were travelling alone and we said "of course yes" and one of them replied "if my sister dares to do a such thing i will beat her"
for him it was a shame that 5 young girls travelled alone along europe without any male presence. :zombie: :puke:

just wanted to add few things.
i don't live in the south and neighter in the north.
i live in Tuscany (toscana) which is in the centre of Italy so i personally don't belong to any of this realities, indutrialized north and rural sud.
also people of the north has many flaws, as we do of course.
they are quite snobbish and also much rigid than us....
we in the middle are maybe a combination of the two realities.
if you go in realt nord, like in Trentino, people speak of themselves as they are Austrian.....i say what? you're italian!
they don't feel italian, they don't speak german with an italian accent, they speak italian with a german accent, and that's quite unbelievable!

and still now the belonging to the old indipendent states before the Union is somewhere felt. some stupid people of the north would like to separate from the rest of italy ( we of toscany will be included in the newborn state following their plan....oh thanx, what a concession ahahah), we have a party called Lega (league) how really wanted to have a secession in the past. now they unfortunatly reached the government cause they are part of the majority (what a shame!!!) and they have soften a little bit their program asking for only an economic secession and indipendence for each region. as you can imagine this could also work for the north, but the south cannot walk with his own legs.

and unfortunatly some old ideas from the facist time have survived, i personally knew some people who lives in the north which still blathers about the arian race, and how to free italy from Rom and in general black people's immigration and so on....i personally don't care about politics, i'm totally alien to this matter, but i've open eyes and a open mind and such things disgust me!

sorry for being so long!

I think northern italy people who criticize southern italy should stop to come down to our seasides town on summer and then be so hypocrite to dub us "retrogati" double-talking is just a braind-dead behaviour, and also Turin/Milan married girls should stop asking for a screw by southerns who work there (mainly doctors, teachers, managers and not some kind of base-level jobs) just because of the "latino" ideal or because their husband cannot live up to their expetations, and be sure, the nasty situation in some southern areas is not mafia's fault, but mainly politicians (just see the last case of corruption of Naples local government, how can the situation improve when the first ones who should resolve it are themselves involved in it?!?) I wonder how can still today people swing the banner of Mafia when people is getting KILLED for their denounce (last week one disappeared after denuncing it), please be coherent and informed!
P.S. Everyday I'm proud to speak a dialect that was spoken for some hundred years, why should I speak a "correct" (and then who decides it's correct? the ruling culture of middle age, come on!) that is a bastard language which doesn't belong to my roots such as this "Lei" which is a giving head to foreign conqueror, rather than the most suitable "voi" which is in perfect "harmony" with my background!
That's my two cents not absolute view, sorry for the tone but quite sick and tired of reading the same old stuff

I think northern italy people who criticize southern italy should stop to come down to our seasides town on summer and then be so hypocrite to dub us "retrogati" double-talking is just a braind-dead behaviour, and also Turin/Milan married girls should stop asking for a screw by southerns who work there (mainly doctors, teachers, managers and not some kind of base-level jobs) just because of the "latino" ideal or because their husband cannot live up to their expetations, and be sure, the nasty situation in some southern areas is not mafia's fault, but mainly politicians (just see the last case of corruption of Naples local government, how can the situation improve when the first ones who should resolve it are themselves involved in it?!?) I wonder how can still today people swing the banner of Mafia when people is getting KILLED for their denounce (last week one disappeared after denuncing it), please be coherent and informed!
P.S. Everyday I'm proud to speak a dialect that was spoken for some hundred years, why should I speak a "correct" (and then who decides it's correct? the ruling culture of middle age, come on!) that is a bastard language which doesn't belong to my roots such as this "Lei" which is a giving head to foreign conqueror, rather than the most suitable "voi" which is in perfect "harmony" with my background!
That's my two cents not absolute view, sorry for the tone but quite sick and tired of reading the same old stuff

i tried not to offend anyone, obiouvsly i wasn't able :ill:
i've not clear if you were speaking directly to me, but i can tell that i'm never gone souther than Rome, i've the sea in my city :p, those things they've been told to me by some people of the south that i met at work, i work in an hotel and they came to my city to find some job, and spent some nights at my hotel. a young woman, a teacher, stayed there for about 3 months and we became friends, she was really escaping the city she lived before, now she works in Milan. how can you pretend the rest of people to have a good opinion of the south when a lot of people who lives there has a bad opinion of their own place of living? i don't think is a good pubblicity! why don't you get angry with such people who emigrates in the north and deny their roots and contributes to spread a bad image of the south?

i think is stupid to hide us behind a finger, if i speak of undevelopment i don't want to offend anyone, i think is just a matter of fact. i don't mean that the south is "the third world", but that it's a little bit arretrated in comparison with the north (and i don't include tuscany in the north, pay attention, we are arretrated too for many reasons)
i don't get offended if someone from another european contry says we are arretrated, speaking of the whole italy, because WE ARE....it's not a flame, is reality!

edit: and no i don't prefer the latino male, i'm tired of black skinned, black haired and eyed guys.
i prefer nordic beauty :p
and i'm enough talkative and choas-creator by my own, i don't need another person like me hahahah

looking back to my post I think I made clear I was talking about northern Italy (I also quoted Milan/Turin) and not centre as we both know Tuscany belongs, so I don't see the point you feel touched by my considerations, I think it was more direct to defiance's ridicolous considerations (a torinese girlfriend who cannot stand southern people while in Torino more than 80% of people is of suothern italian origin so I think she could be a "terrona" herself :Smug: not counting that in Torinos' main hospital more than 70% of personell is from southern italy/foreign countries, according to her demented idea if hurted she should die), the only point I could refer to you was about the underdevelopment but that's ok, as I cleared stated that's State's fault not ours, but again Defiance talked about Mafia and in my ears resound the same old crap, he's out of the situation so cannot talk about it, while me being with my two feet inside am more reliable, again one should be informed before giving breathe to one's mouth and look like the moron of the world.
back to the people from south escaped to northern areas you mentioned, I suppose the main problem was job and (maybe) crime, and not the other awesome things that northern italy lacks, but be sure that unemployment and crime (if not alread) will hit not only northern italy but the whole world (listening also to the expectation of world commercial council), and by the way the fact that you met southern people talking bad of their native places doesn't authomatically makes it an universal truth neither I can blame them as it's their opinions, it's not a Socrate's syllogism, I met so much people talking crap of americans and north america but I still love people and cities from the country, it's a nonsense speech in my opinion, to make up my mind I'd visit the country and then I'd give my opinion not reporting others' speeches, this is my pretention which I see quite fair (the other way around is called prejudice, so I can pretend)
Always underlining my two cents

@ Lefay: Thanks, very interesting discussion!

I remember an Italian on another forum mentioning how your president was basically a mafia guy or has a lot of contacts with the mafia. Care to enlighten us/me on this?

Back on topic, I think it's great that some dialects of Italy are now recognised as official languages. I think the most recent one was Venett (or was it Venetto?) right? I was going to start this sentence as a criticism to the Italian government because they only want standard Italian, but then I thought it'd be quite hypocritical on my part, since there is one main language here (Spanish), but also quite a few dialects. At least Mekatelyu should be recognised as an official language.

And what do you mean by "arretrated"? That word doesn't exist in English :p, what was the word in Italian that you were thinking?

EDIT:

Oh and thing about you girls travelling to Budapest and meeting those guys was quite interesting.

looking back to my post I think I made clear I was talking about northern Italy (I also quoted Milan/Turin) and not centre as we both know Tuscany belongs, so I don't see the point you feel touched by my considerations, I think it was more direct to defiance's ridicolous considerations (a torinese girlfriend who cannot stand southern people while in Torino more than 80% of people is of suothern italian origin so I think she could be a "terrona" herself :Smug: not counting that in Torinos' main hospital more than 70% of personell is from southern italy/foreign countries, according to her demented idea if hurted she should die), the only point I could refer to you was about the underdevelopment but that's ok, as I cleared stated that's State's fault not ours, but again Defiance talked about Mafia and in my ears resound the same old crap, he's out of the situation so cannot talk about it, while me being with my two feet inside am more reliable, again one should be informed before giving breathe to one's mouth and look like the moron of the world.
back to the people from south escaped to northern areas you mentioned, I suppose the main problem was job and (maybe) crime, and not the other awesome things that northern italy lacks, but be sure that unemployment and crime (if not alread) will hit not only northern italy but the whole world (listening also to the expectation of world commercial council), and by the way the fact that you met southern people talking bad of their native places doesn't authomatically makes it an universal truth neither I can blame them as it's their opinions, it's not a Socrate's syllogism, I met so much people talking crap of americans and north america but I still love people and cities from the country, it's a nonsense speech in my opinion, to make up my mind I'd visit the country and then I'd give my opinion not reporting others' speeches, this is my pretention which I see quite fair (the other way around is called prejudice, so I can pretend)

Well no one is being disrespectful here, so you shouldn't be. Anyhow, I wrote that my girl's family was from Milano (mostly) and Torino, she's never been to Italy herself (still, she's more Italian than Costa Rican). I understand why you are getting angry, but don't be, we're talking peacefully here. Instead of being so rude, enlighten us/me on how the south really is.

It's funny because Roma was the closest thing to Third-world I saw in all of Europe. Again, no offence, but besides old Roman empire paraphernalia, (Coliseum, etc.), Roma was not a nice city to be in. But I enjoyed my time there anyhow :) .

Rome is nice I hear. I don't know about the sights or if the streets are clean, but just soo much to do!
I don't know this is what I hear,but I would love to go there myself to be there and look at it.
Play around a bit, drink some good wine from LARGE wine-cups. :)

There use to be this Italian girl in my area once. She taught me some of it. I forget what this means and even if I am spelling it correctly, which I doubt I am. But it is "van fan kudo". I am pretty sure that is not how you spell it, but it is how it sounds. I don't know what it means, but she'd always say it to me so maybe "how are you?" or something like that. I don't know. That is all Italian that I know. It's nice saying - sounds pretty!

Svarthjärtad;7955885 said:
There use to be this Italian girl in my area once. She taught me some of it. I forget what this means and even if I am spelling it correctly, which I doubt I am. But it is "van fan kudo". I am pretty sure that is not how you spell it, but it is how it sounds. I don't know what it means, but she'd always say it to me so maybe "how are you?" or something like that. I don't know. That is all Italian that I know. It's nice saying - sounds pretty!

it's late in the night, tomorrow i will answer to the other posts, now, nearly 4 a.m., i don't think i'm able to say something intelligent and understandable :lol:

but.....

svart you almost killed me ahahahahahahah
what does it means???' how are you?
i don't think so :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
first it written "vaffanculo" which is the abbreviation of "vai a fare in culo" and litteraly means "go and do (something) in the ass"
in english the most similar translation should be fuck you or fuck off....

now before you get offended i have to explain you that swear words are very used here, i mean, also between friends or people who knows each other....
they nearly lost their real meaning if used between friends... you know, if someone hits you with his car you scream to him "vaffanculo, fottiti, figlio di puttana" and so on
but if you say it to friend becomes a joke, nothing really important or offensive...for example if someone is tickling you, you can shout to him " vaffanculo fermati!" -> fuck you, stop it!

Ahh, that is exactly what it was! Sorry for the wrong spelling.
That bitch!... I thought she was my friend and cool. I'm not going to send her a Christmas card next year! *pouts with anger like child* :p
In that case, I'm happy she moved back to Italy.

:D:D:D:D:D
I'm glad I made you laugh to hard. Hehe. I guess this is funny now.

I'm getting rude because it sounds to me like a been-there seen-that, and after a thousand times you hear it loosing respect is an euphemism, just like a Mexican emigrated to US called wetbacks not knowing that behind there could be a whole story that an OCers would never understand. The situation in the south is really complex and could not be explained here (scholars are discussing since '800! about it, in italy is called "la questione meridionale") but again the infos given by someone who lives outside the situation are really unreliable because they talk thru the media infos that are reflections of one's press will to let you know what they want/can. it's different when you see and live it everyday. Sorry to come back on the matter but if your girlfriend has never been in Italy how can she say she cannot stand southerns! I mean I cannot stand a person if I meet/talk with him, this makes me think another time of a weird behaviour (I think you get the point without being offended)
About Rome, it's not a city it's just like a state, so I think some probs with traffic or rudeness of people can be understandable moreover balanced by vistas that no other city can display in Europe and in the world :kickass:

as i said in the previous post i didn't know if you were referring directly to me, sometimes tuscany is considered to belong mostly to the northern part of italy than to the southest. roma is the exact centre of italy and you know we are over roma. if i felt touched is that because i don't feel or want to be considered from the north. i'm quite happy and proud to live in the region i live, for mentality, for how people are, and many other reasons....and i feel quite distant from the rigidity of the north and also from political ideas.

you're right, i've never been in the south and i try as possibile to not give judgements, but knowing a lot of people from the south gives you an idea of how the the situation could be (of course to live there is another question).
if people of the south has a bad idea of from when they come it doesn't make an universal thruth, you're right, but makes you understand that there's something wrong there, when a lot of people emigrates, and when not 1 not 2 but tens of people speak in that way, when the most part of people you know from the south has a such opinion.
surely it must be also a beutiful place, speaking of nature, cities, amenities, culture and also people are nice, very direct, friendly and funny!
my boyfriend is from Sardegna, really he is born in Toscana but his family is from the isle, and let me tell you that Sardi are a very beatiful race, if we can call them so, and maybe yes because they're really separated from the rest of italy for culture and language. there's a big community of people from Sardegna here in Toscana, i know a lot of people who has found job here and feels very happy about living here, maybe we have a quite similar approach to things and similar point of views, the city of Pisa is really invaded from Sardi, there's a little pub where we often go which is the point of meeting for all the community, it's very funny to spend some time with them, very hospitable, and you always get drunk without paying a cent :lol::lol::lol:

@ Lefay: Thanks, very interesting discussion!

I remember an Italian on another forum mentioning how your president was basically a mafia guy or has a lot of contacts with the mafia. Care to enlighten us/me on this?

Back on topic, I think it's great that some dialects of Italy are now recognised as official languages. I think the most recent one was Venett (or was it Venetto?) right? I was going to start this sentence as a criticism to the Italian government because they only want standard Italian, but then I thought it'd be quite hypocritical on my part, since there is one main language here (Spanish), but also quite a few dialects. At least Mekatelyu should be recognised as an official language.

And what do you mean by "arretrated"? That word doesn't exist in English :p, what was the word in Italian that you were thinking?

EDIT:

Oh and thing about you girls travelling to Budapest and meeting those guys was quite interesting.

mmm...very difficult to explain....i'll try!
we have 2 alignments, left and right.
our politics can be compared to a line, at the two endings of this line there are on the left side a party from the extreme left, near to comunism, and at the right side a party of extreme right, near to neofacism.
in the middle there are all the other parties which place themselves in diffentent points of this immaginary line, according to their political ideas, so we have moderated left, moderated right, centre-left, centre-right, centre-centre and so on.
in this myriad of parties is really hard to understand what they want, what they ask for, what they are fighting for.
what can i say to you is that i don't care anymore about politics, the first years i had the right to vote i voted, but i slowly understood that the same shit is everywhere. italy has gone bad in the last years when both parties of the right and of the left were at the govern.
i voted again at last elections just because i didn't want to have berlusconi back again at the goverment, together with those idiots of the league i was telling you some posts ago.
i think this is all i will tell you about this argument :yuk:

ps: people who knows me sometimes says to me i'm like a cartoon and probably they'are right...so...
ehm.....arretrated does'nt exist on the dictionary you're right ahahahaha..
i wanted to say underdeveloped and writing with speed i anglicised an italian word which is "arretrato" -> underdevoped :oops:

ps2: yes a nice trip. we where young and maybe not conscious of what we where really doing. budapest is magnificent, one of the most beautiful cities i've ever seen, but there are places where you should not go alone, especially on evening..... is a city full of contraddictions, rich and poor, beautifull and ugly, cultural and ignorant......
nearly no one was able to speak english, we had some big problems to get ourselves understood, girls are not seen in a good way, and also turists sometimes...
imagine that in front of our hotel, we were in the centre, there was an house of appointments where some guys worked, you know, we was at the windows and we saw three young guys on the opposite side of the street who were smoking and speaking completly naked on the balcony...and we o_O:oops::yow::err::D:rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

Svarthjärtad;7956117 said:
Ahh, that is exactly what it was! Sorry for the wrong spelling.
That bitch!... I thought she was my friend and cool. I'm not going to send her a Christmas card next year! *pouts with anger like child* :p
In that case, I'm happy she moved back to Italy.

:D:D:D:D:D
I'm glad I made you laugh to hard. Hehe. I guess this is funny now.

i guess my signiture comes in handy for cases like this
i'm talking about the part that's written in swedish "hellre en rövare i poolen än en polare i röven"
it sort of a word game and it means: rather a thief in the pool than a friend in the ass

as i said in the previous post i didn't know if you were referring directly to me, sometimes tuscany is considered to belong mostly to the northern part of italy than to the southest. roma is the exact centre of italy and you know we are over roma. if i felt touched is that because i don't feel or want to be considered from the north. i'm quite happy and proud to live in the region i live, for mentality, for how people are, and many other reasons....and i feel quite distant from the rigidity of the north and also from political ideas.

you're right, i've never been in the south and i try as possibile to not give judgements, but knowing a lot of people from the south gives you an idea of how the the situation could be (of course to live there is another question).
if people of the south has a bad idea of from when they come it doesn't make an universal thruth, you're right, but makes you understand that there's something wrong there, when a lot of people emigrates, and when not 1 not 2 but tens of people speak in that way, when the most part of people you know from the south has a such opinion.
surely it must be also a beutiful place, speaking of nature, cities, amenities, culture and also people are nice, very direct, friendly and funny!
my boyfriend is from Sardegna, really he is born in Toscana but his family is from the isle, and let me tell you that Sardi are a very beatiful race, if we can call them so, and maybe yes because they're really separated from the rest of italy for culture and language. there's a big community of people from Sardegna here in Toscana, i know a lot of people who has found job here and feels very happy about living here, maybe we have a quite similar approach to things and similar point of views, the city of Pisa is really invaded from Sardi, there's a little pub where we often go which is the point of meeting for all the community, it's very funny to spend some time with them, very hospitable, and you always get drunk without paying a cent :lol::lol::lol:

I'm glad you got my point, all is well that ends well :saint:

P.S. I suppose people who escaped their cities will never talk good of their native country else they wouldn't leave :lol: but luckly most of the people I'm in contact and lives elsewhere (Milan, Florence, Verona...) miss their home and if the job situation would be better they would never leave, so as you can see, one has to listen to both sides of the matter to have a slight clear idea

I'm getting rude because it sounds to me like a been-there seen-that, and after a thousand times you hear it loosing respect is an euphemism, just like a Mexican emigrated to US called wetbacks not knowing that behind there could be a whole story that an OCers would never understand. The situation in the south is really complex and could not be explained here (scholars are discussing since '800! about it, in italy is called "la questione meridionale") but again the infos given by someone who lives outside the situation are really unreliable because they talk thru the media infos that are reflections of one's press will to let you know what they want/can. it's different when you see and live it everyday. Sorry to come back on the matter but if your girlfriend has never been in Italy how can she say she cannot stand southerns! I mean I cannot stand a person if I meet/talk with him, this makes me think another time of a weird behaviour (I think you get the point without being offended)
About Rome, it's not a city it's just like a state, so I think some probs with traffic or rudeness of people can be understandable moreover balanced by vistas that no other city can display in Europe and in the world :kickass:

Again, instead of complaining so much, try to explain the situation. Also, when my girl talked to her classmates that were from the south, they were very friendly at first, but when they heard her family was/is from the north they went like "Uh....oh....well... ciao, we gotta go!" How are people supposed to react to that?

mmm...very difficult to explain....i'll try!
we have 2 alignments, left and right.
our politics can be compared to a line, at the two endings of this line there are on the left side a party from the extreme left, near to comunism, and at the right side a party of extreme right, near to neofacism.
in the middle there are all the other parties which place themselves in diffentent points of this immaginary line, according to their political ideas, so we have moderated left, moderated right, centre-left, centre-right, centre-centre and so on.
in this myriad of parties is really hard to understand what they want, what they ask for, what they are fighting for.
what can i say to you is that i don't care anymore about politics, the first years i had the right to vote i voted, but i slowly understood that the same shit is everywhere. italy has gone bad in the last years when both parties of the right and of the left were at the govern.
i voted again at last elections just because i didn't want to have berlusconi back again at the goverment, together with those idiots of the league i was telling you some posts ago.
i think this is all i will tell you about this argument :yuk:

ps: people who knows me sometimes says to me i'm like a cartoon and probably they'are right...so...
ehm.....arretrated does'nt exist on the dictionary you're right ahahahaha..
i wanted to say underdeveloped and writing with speed i anglicised an italian word which is "arretrato" -> underdevoped :oops:

ps2: yes a nice trip. we where young and maybe not conscious of what we where really doing. budapest is magnificent, one of the most beautiful cities i've ever seen, but there are places where you should not go alone, especially on evening..... is a city full of contraddictions, rich and poor, beautifull and ugly, cultural and ignorant......
nearly no one was able to speak english, we had some big problems to get ourselves understood, girls are not seen in a good way, and also turists sometimes...
imagine that in front of our hotel, we were in the centre, there was an house of appointments where some guys worked, you know, we was at the windows and we saw three young guys on the opposite side of the street who were smoking and speaking completly naked on the balcony...and we o_O:oops::yow::err::D:rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah politics here is the same crap, I don't think I'll vote on the coming elections. I've voted twice here (once in Canada), but no more. In general politicians are always corrupt, but for some reason Italian ones seem to be a bit worse compared to other Central-European countries.

Well I guess every big city is like that, there always places you shouldn't go. And it's "apartments," not "appointments." The first is "appartamento" and the second "nomina" :p . And it's "we were," not "we was" :) .

Well I guess every big city is like that, there always places you shouldn't go. And it's "apartments," not "appointments." The first is "appartamento" and the second "nomina" :p . And it's "we were," not "we was" :) .

again problems with translation :erk:
we use to call "case di appuntamenti" (house of appointments) those places (houses, apartments, rooms) where prostitution is practiced....in this case male prostitution.
don't know which is the right term in english :oops:

-searched on the dictionary, it says "brothel" or "house used by call girls"