Least Favourite Opeth Track

-nectar
-credence
-dirge for november
-masters apprentices

btw, the grand conjuration pwns all of you ungrateful spics

Benighted1 said:
So if everyone suddenly started liking Opeth and they were played all over the radio, you would think they were shit just because it was now a cliche to like them?

Idiot!!
Okay, it's time to shut the hell up now. At first I thought you were cool and all asking me why instead of telling me I'm stupid for it, and then you said this crap. Damn you, damn you, damn you to hell.

You fail miserably.

Just kidding. Kind of.

The only Opeth songs I have an actual dislike of are The Grand Conjuration and Reverie/Harlequin Forest. While I rank SPD or Dirge for November lower on my list, they're still very good songs, just not the best. But TGC especially just bothers me, it's repetitive, dumb-sounding, and the music video is horrid. I still do have much respect for Mikael and the band, but I just don't like that song.

Beneath The Mire,Grand Conjuration(not horrible songs or anything). The Grand Conjuration is to repetitive and drawn out. Beneath The Mire sounds Incomplete. Probably opeths most simple approach to a heavier opeth song. Some cool solos but rythmnly not great.

Ghost Reveries for the most part is solid to me though.

The Grand Conjuration -- Drawn out and repetative.
Weakness -- as most others said, boring.
Eternal Soul Torture -- doesn't flow very well and the riffs are riffs used throughout the rest of Morningrise.

In My time of need (steve wilson should never have touched Damnation)

Death whispered a lullaby (see above)

Harlequin Forest ( I think 'Reverie' ,all one minute of it is better than the whole of Harlequin Forest)

Serenity Painted Death bores me at times

Karma doesn't live up to the gauntlet laid down by the previous 5 or 6 tracks

The Grand Conjuration - I can imagine it would make a great live track but just has no flow on the album

The first half of Master's Apprentices is weak. Again Steve Wilson used his gay brit-pop voice and almost wrecked the song during that middle section.

This has been a very interesting read.

Actually, it can get tricky for me when it comes to Opeth. I can listen to a cd in its entirety over and over again and overlook certain songs. For me, there are usually songs that I definitely favour, so I don't pay attention to others. I did this with Ghost Reveries. I completely overlooked Reverie/Harlequin Forest at first, as well as Isolation Years and Hours of Wealth, but when the time is right (for whatever reason), they come to me and my opinion of them changes.

For me I guess I'll have to say Eternal Soul Torture. I have it on my copy of Morningrise. That cd should always remain with To Bid You Farewell as the closer.

Well, I will start with there are no Opeth songs that bother me the whole way through. I tend to find at least three minutes of music in every song that I can rock to ever-so-hard. But there are my picks:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Wreath's vocals make a sad panda (you can say they are "brutal", I say they are weak)

The Night and the Silent Water has always felt a bit boring to me. I can totally read into Mike's sadness in the lyrics..but the music has yet to capture me...maybe someday, though

A few parts on Orchid, get a bit boring, but no full song.

As I said, I do not hate or even really dislike any Opeth track...but those two are the lowest on my list.

end_of_an_era said:
Karma doesn't live up to the gauntlet laid down by the previous 5 or 6 tracks.

hhmmm.... maybe. I still can't put my finger on what I dislike about the song. But even listening to it out of context I still don't enjoy it as much... theres just something weird about it that I don't get. Its perfectly Opeth, probably good riffs and stuff if you like noting these kinds of things, vocals are good, I can't really think of anything bad about this song... except I don't enjoy it as much as every other song Opeth have made... o_O

I guess I'll never know why. :erk:

Necromantic-Hiko said:
Wreath is the only song i couldn't get into.

that and like someone else said 'into the frost of winter' but that doesnt count :lol:

I swear I am the only one that likes Wreath. I love this song. There isn't a better way to start a day that to blast Wreath and Deliverance on the Way to Work. Some of Mikael's best growling.

The guy that hated Advent??? Are you fucking kidding me? One of their best songs. Powerful on the distorted and acoustic parts. The brekin in riff at 9:20. THe bass at 9:35. Sorry dude, lock yourself in a room and listen to that for a day on repeat.

Also all you people hating on the Grand Conjuration. I don't get it. Great song. It's a little different from stuff they've done in the past. I never expected to hear that opening riff from Opeth and I thought it was unusual. By the time the riff made it back around in the song, I was like damn I love this shit. I think we have too many people in here who simply don't like it becuase this is the song 'new' Opeth fans are being drawn in by. I equate it to all the old-school Metallica fans that hate people who only listen to the Black Album and later. The point is something draws you in,. and if you're a true fan you pick up the rest of the catalog later. So quit you're bitching....

Anyway, my random list of ones that I tend to skip when listening to my cds (so I don't hate them, just not love them):

Half of Damnation. It's my least fave album. I really like Window Pane, In My Time of Need, Closure. After that, eh....

Delivernace I don't care for A Fair Judgement and For Absent Friends.

On Ghost Reveries the final track Isolation Years is such a downer for me. I could do without Hours of Wealth. I'll throw this iin with the rest of my 'eh' Damnation pile.

On Still life I don't care for Benighted. For a long time I always skipped Face of Melinda. It finally grew on me. Especially after seeing it live. This was my final album purchase (you seriously can't find the damn thing, finally did it online) and I didn't care for the style at first. I know realize what I was missing. The Moor, Moonlapse Vertigo are among their best songs.

I didn't care for most of Morningrise until about a month ago when I forced myself to listen to it multiple times. I use to think BRI was simply too long and should have been 3 separate songs, but now we're on speaking terms, and I'm a ok with her. I'm not a huge fan of To Bid You Farewell, but I listen.

Orchid, I don't usually skip any. It's prob ~5th or so on my rankings of their albums but it's such a unique sounding album. What a masterful way to debut yourself into the music world.

As for Blackwater Park. Masterpiece, no skipping here.
MAYH is almost there. I don't care for Credence, but I usually let it play out since I enjoy Karma and the Celtic Frost cover that is on my issue of the cd. I wish they would play both these albums in their entirety live.

Anyway that's me. Tonight in Chicago motherfuckers!!!!

jhetfield99 said:
Also all you people hating on the Grand Conjuration. I don't get it. Great song. It's a little different from stuff they've done in the past. I never expected to hear that opening riff from Opeth and I thought it was unusual. By the time the riff made it back around in the song, I was like damn I love this shit. I think we have too many people in here who simply don't like it becuase this is the song 'new' Opeth fans are being drawn in by. I equate it to all the old-school Metallica fans that hate people who only listen to the Black Album and later. The point is something draws you in,. and if you're a true fan you pick up the rest of the catalog later. So quit you're bitching....

I don't like it because I think its shit. End of.