Metal versus Hip Hop

People like to denigrate and demonize metal simply because they don't understand it because it challenges people and challenges and pushes the musical spectrum. I enjoy black metal because it pushes the musical envelope so to speak and it takes someone really smart to understand and appreciate metal. The first time I listened to black and death metal I fucking hated it. It takes an open, inquisitive mind.

Joel

Okay, I have to disagree. Black metal in general is based on very simple song structures and thus you do not need to be smart to understand it. Open minded, yes, intelligent, no.

This is thing often annoys me, metal fans think, that to like metal and to be involved with the scene means that you must be intelligent, nope, not in the real world.

Forms of jazz, progressive music etc. have very complex song structures that are way more challenging to the listener than metal. Since like I mentioned before, metal is often based on very simple song structures and "compositions".(progressive death metal etc. on the other hand :lol:)

I am a huge black metal fan so I am not dissing the genre in any way! Emperor's Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk is one of my all-time favourite albums, Dark Throne's Transylvanian Hunger, Dissection's Storm of the Light's Bane, Mayhem's De Mysteriis dom Sathanas etc... I grew up listening to that stuff and I still love it so I have nothing against the music.

BUT, my point is, that us metal fans should drop the elitist "I am intelligent because I listen to metal"-act. Like I mentioned earlier, I know too many redneck metal fans who totally buy into the whole "metal is music for smart people"-thing, and some of those guys are far from being intelligent.

:headbang: THATS WHATS UP. THAT ALBUM IS MY FAVORITE EVER. JUST CUZ ITS RAW AS FUCK. I MEAN, I LOVE ALL THE ALBUMS CAVALERA HAS MADE.
I GOT A SHIRT "PROUD TO COMMIT COMMERCIAL SUICIDE". I WEAR THAT SHIT EVERYWHERE.:worship:zombie::kickass:

GOOD MUSIC NEVER DIES.

rap sucks, unfortunatly being the only metalhead in my school is very difficult. i cant enter a classroom without someone having thier phones playing some annoying "bitch,hoe, slut, weed" shit and if i blast some well...anything metal from my phone, headphones etc. its the same reply always- "TURN THAT SHIT OFF, ITS JUST NOISE AND SCREEMING AND BURPING" ......BLA BLA

Rap music doesn't suck.And idk what you guys listen to but turn off your radios because most rap not all of it i listen to treats woman good.And anyways there not referring to woman in general there referring to actual hoes and bitches.Everyone has there own opinon but I think rappers like Dead Prez,The Coup,Nas,2pac,Jay-Z,Eminem,Immortal Technique,Jedi Mind Tricks,Tech Nine,NWA,and many more have great sometimes poetic lyrics so fuck you if you dont like it.

to say you dont want to hear their music or just judge their shit off like that immediatly, maybe thats why they act like that towards you man...
but, i dont give a fuck if somebody listens to lame shit, thats their choice. but if they are a shitty band that i have to sit through live, i get a bit upset. but, thats one thing you have to deal with if your actually into music at all so.

at my school i would hear the same trend music bullshit when i enter a classroom, with no bitching id turn on my head phones, if i got interrupted or someone said turn it down. silence from my mouth would shut them the fuck up.

i try to be as unnazi like as possible when it comes to music and telling other people what to rock cuz i rock what i do and dont give a fuck if somebody likes or not and its not my place 2 tell anybody what to do.

how-to-use-capital-letters.jpg

i hate rap i just hate the way it sounds, i dont flame it, because it never gets in my way at all... i never see it except on tv but its mainstream so what can you do...

There is some good underground rap out there; but you got to dig deep for it!

Here is some rap I listen too:

-Ill Bill - The Hour Of Reprisal ("War Is My Destiny" feat. Max Cavalera)
-Jedi Mind Tricks
-La Coka Nostra
-Swollen Members - Armed To The Teeth
-Mad Child - Mad Child EP (can get it on itunes)
-Circle of Tyrants - (Necrotura feat. Igor Cavalera of Sepultura, Alex Skolnick of Testament & Matt Harvey of Exhumed)
-Immortal Technique

I like some of the old school hip-hop. The old Cypress Hill, Public Enemy, Wu-Tang-Clan, Ice-T, Gravedigazz. It has attitude and it has groove, can be pretty "heavy" in its own ways at times.
But those ain't got anything in common with the so called mainstream hip-hop. It's all pure shit.
As far as women are treated in this...I really don't know and I don't care too. I miss the point in the question.

Not that Rap or Hip-Hop isnt a valid music genre but I absolutly despise it. Thats just my opinion. But really culturally it isnt that different from other genres. There are those undergound folks who dedicate thier lives to thier music and will die for it whilst others just go through it like a trend and the posers that follow them (little Kids wearing bandanas and gang colours after playing San Andreas). And like every other genre hip- Hop has its fair share of sell outs; look at Icecube who went from a gangbanging rapper from NWA to doing childrens films.

I like metal more. However, I also enjoy hip hop. I think we can agree for the most part that metal is generally more technical as a genre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Little late, am I? Also hi it’s great finding a metal forum. In my humble opinion, metal is better. Metal and rock are heavily dependent on instruments, a form of art that takes lots of work and time to complete. Like the guitar, you have to push through literal pain to learn it, but it’s so worth it. Rap, however, requires less talent. You just have to be able to keep a Rhythm, not much else. Granted, it’s more than likely that some rap requires talent, so I suppose that statement is somewhat overly generalized. But back to the point. If music has less effort required, then less can be said for its quality. Of course, the communities for both could generally use some improvement. Like a lot. And furthermore, I’ve been a metalhead so long, I can’t look at the surface world, the stereotype, of metal. However, I’ve never gotten into rap, so I can only see the surface. And it’s pretty ugly. Like artists singing about getting banged or having a lot of drugs…but I’m sure beneath the surface there’s lots of beauty somewhere in rap. Of course I’m way biased because I’m a metalhead, and I know nothing about rap. Nevertheless, I do feel metal is better when push comes to shove. :heh: