MJR's opinion about nu-metal

nu metal is fine with me as long as its interesting, if its just chug chug chug, chug chug chug, with lyrics about bitches and hoes, count me out
if its chromatic riffs in 13/8 count me in! burning bridges

This thread is kind of funny.. I think good music is good music. Nowadays, I don´t really care what "kind of metal" I listen to, as long as there are good melodies, intelligent lyrics, in whole a song that moves me in some way. It´s not meant to sound cheesy, but saying music is better just because the musicians are great virtuosos is beyond me... That just being closed minded IMHO.

It's not just cos they're virtuosos, its because fine displays of musicianship sound better than anything else, and they're far more interesting to listen to...

nu metal is fine with me as long as its interesting, if its just chug chug chug, chug chug chug, with lyrics about bitches and hoes, count me out
if its chromatic riffs in 13/8 count me in! burning bridges

Chromatic riffs in 13/8 isn't very nu-metal thing to do...

It's not just cos they're virtuosos, its because fine displays of musicianship sound better than anything else, and they're far more interesting to listen to...

Chromatic riffs in 13/8 isn't very nu-metal thing to do...

no its tech as fuck, thats why i love them, they are a nu metal band with people who can actually play

As much as I've tried to get my head around that statement, it just doesn't seem to make any sense??? :p

lol im not sure what cog count as, but they are another awesome ozzy band who ive heard called nu metal, they arent that tech but they are dead prog, prog enough that calling them nu metal is a definite insult

I would insult them by calling them thus... :heh: The trouble with a lot of Aussie bands is that they are the greatest musical oxymoron: Progressive-Nu-metal. It's just stupid. Sunk Loto, Cog, The Butterfly Effect... They all have slightly progressive elements to them, but just way too much gheyness for me to enjoy them as a progressive band... Because progressive is a very general term, and basically only describes a band as one which does whatever it wants musically, I would describe all those bands as Hard-rock/ Nu-metal.

I would insult them by calling them thus... :heh: The trouble with a lot of Aussie bands is that they are the greatest musical oxymoron: Progressive-Nu-metal. It's just stupid. Sunk Loto, Cog, The Butterfly Effect... They all have slightly progressive elements to them, but just way too much gheyness for me to enjoy them as a progressive band... Because progressive is a very general term, and basically only describes a band as one which does whatever it wants musically, I would describe all those bands as Hard-rock/ Nu-metal.

this is pure prog tbh

moshiach by cog

PMP- Normally i agree that you should have logic and points to back up an oppinion. Nu Metal is the exception since it's been rehashed so many times that there's nothing to add. It's just teh ghey.

Daysend is horrible. There are a few good aussie bands, though most of those who are good end up moving away from aussieland (Destroyer 666)

My opinion on this topic is that, numetal is crap because 99% of all those bands out there have just tried to jump on the cash wagon. I'm not implying a band or musician shouldn't be able to live off their/his work but that's something different than pure greed. Furthermore, when a genre's sound is so specific and based on the same patterns and melodies recycled over and over, mostly drawing "inspiration" from these bands:
1.pantera,
2.fear factory,
3.rage against the machine
there's gonna be repetition at some point and it's gonna sound like shit. Especially when you lack basic knowledge of your instrument and you're a fag.

I'm also sickly bored of those people who think that you don't really need to know how to play your instrument in order to write "nice songs". Wtf is a "nice song"? Go listen to your pop shit illiterate fools.

this may be closed of me to say, but i havent yet heard any aussie bands that ive liked..

Same. Good to hear someone else of the same opinion. Although I admit I used to like Superheist back in my nu-days, but I'd rather forget that. Sometimes it seems that people like the bands here purely because they're Australian, but then again I'm a picky bitch.

this may be closed of me to say, but i havent yet heard any aussie bands that ive liked..

Same. Good to hear someone else of the same opinion. Although I admit I used to like Superheist back in my nu-days, but I'd rather forget that. Sometimes it seems that people like the bands here purely because they're Australian, but then again I'm a picky bitch.

Unfortunately I'm of pretty much the same opinion as you guys in regards to Metal, but I do enjoy some of the Prog-fusion stuff with the likes of Virgil Donati and Brett Garsed, as well as a new project with Grant Collins on drums...

But in Metal, basically nothing... :erk:

However I hope to rectify that in the future... :headbang: