MJR's opinion about nu-metal

Racist. :p

I definately agree with the first half, and the second half may be true as well, but it doesn't change the fact that I don't like Nu-metal and think it is all crap... If it has enough to grab my attention and hold my attention and make me enjoy it, then it probably doesn't really fit into the Nu-metal genre...

but arn't saying you don't like something and saying something is crap two different things entirely?

I mean, nu-metal may be best defined by its tonality, low tunings, and semi hip hop/rap lyrics and such things, and you may not like it, and i don't particularly find it appealing on that surface level either. but others certainly do, and underneath those layers their may be true substance that is quite artistic.

to say you think it is ALL crap is to say that you have heard it all, every last song, and found nothing of value in it at all. And sometimes expressive is also ugly and therefore enjoying something isn't necessarily a requirement for being "good", just good listening, and IMO music isn't JUST about listening.

And I'd also like to say I try to stay away from using the word "all" as much as possible. I wouldn't want someone judging me as just one of group X that always does Y just because of one of my inharent characteristics, so to pass unjustified judgement on others in this manor would not just be unjustified, but also hypocritical.

i dont see the argument here about nu-metal - so what if someone (or in the case of here, many of us) hate the stuff and think its crap - without having to hear every last song to make that opinion.. its a personal taste, get over it!

You don't have to worry about Monsters destroying your house or a crazy green monkey taking over the world?

I think blanket statements like "nu-metal is crap" are fine and are time savers...who wants to write out a mini essay covering every aspect of why they don't like a genre of music and all possible outside influences that may mould those judgements....we don't all have the time or inclination to read or write long posts like Raythetse's.....i think people (not all...but most) are smart enough to understand this.

i dont see the argument here about nu-metal - so what if someone (or in the case of here, many of us) hate the stuff and think its crap - without having to hear every last song to make that opinion.. its a personal taste, get over it!

um no! i'm not saying you SHOULD make it your quest to listen to every knew metal song just so you can have a truly warranted opinion, and for pilgrim to say he hate all the ones he's heard is fair game, i won't argue that, of course there is no arguing that.

what I'm simply saying is you really shouldn't say I HATE IT ALL when you probably haven't experienced even a reasonable fraction of it.

To think isn't to know, people used to think the earth was flat, and that was simply because they didn't want to find out for themselves. They assumed based on minimal information that the rest of the world adhered to what they perceived within their own visual range.

So I just prefer that people don't just straight up say "IT ALL SUCKS!" when they could make a statement that could be true, like pilgrims never heard any i didn't hate comment which I can believe as valid.

I think blanket statements like "nu-metal is crap" are fine and are time savers...who wants to write out a mini essay covering every aspect of why they don't like a genre of music and all possible outside influences that may mould those judgements....we don't all have the time or inclination to read or write long posts like Raythetse's.....i think people (not all...but most) are smart enough to understand this.

Agreed.

i didn't say you have to write an essay just because I often do hehe...

it doesn't really take much longer to say "I haven't heard and nu-metal I didn't hate" as it does to say "I hate all nu-metal"

Its just that I don't think its terribly um... mature? to deal in absolutes... no offense to anyone when I say that, but I just find my life gets along better if i don't jump to conclusions.

@ Rich - it was a good song i liked it.. the only thing i didnt love, nor hate for that matter, was just how the vox were done on that particular song.. hopefully other songs fabio belts it out a little more coz he has a good voice..

@ crapola - my friend who moved to melbourne (note my prog metal boy i met up here but who moved away on me) is always going on about how i should move down there too and how much i would love it.. that would be closer.. but thats also a hell of a big move :( so i probably wouldnt be making it any time soon.

@ ray - yeah but thats just nitpicking i think - arguing for the sake of arguing perhaps? like rich said, most people are smart enough to understand what someone means when they make a generalized statement like that.

it all boils down to this: some people like nu-metal, others hate it.. case closed!

@ ray - yeah but thats just nitpicking i think - arguing for the sake of arguing perhaps? like rich said, most people are smart enough to understand what someone means when they make a generalized statement like that.

but thats the problem... Most people are smart enough, not all. and thats why I mentioned racism in my "essay" post on the other page there. People DO suffer from generalizations when even one person takes it too literally.

Yes though, some people really hate the nu-metal style, and some love it I agree, but people will flame on even after that fact. And I'm not so much JUST referring to the nu-metal discussion in carrying this on, right now I'm more just talking about the generalization factor across a spectrum of issues.

SR wrote
@ Rich - it was a good song i liked it.. the only thing i didnt love, nor hate for that matter, was just how the vox were done on that particular song.. hopefully other songs fabio belts it out a little more coz he has a good voice..

Charis...u obviously miss the point of the song...its all about my heavenly b/g vocal harmonies and god like guitar solo....:)
As for Dave/Fabio...he doesn't belt it out Russell Allen style anywhere that i can think of.....i'll send you some links for the other 5 songs we have later on and you can judge for yourself.

but thats the problem... Most people are smart enough, not all. and thats why I mentioned racism in my "essay" post on the other page there. People DO suffer from generalizations when even one person takes it too literally.

Yes though, some people really hate the nu-metal style, and some love it I agree, but people will flame on even after that fact. And I'm not so much JUST referring to the nu-metal discussion in carrying this on, right now I'm more just talking about the generalization factor across a spectrum of issues.

If someone is dumb enough to come on here and take a generalization as the fucking truth, they're probably not going to last long here anyway. Generalizations save time in a topic like this that really garners no discussion. If details need to be given, they usually will be. No need to cater to the exception rather than the rule.