MJR's opinion about nu-metal

progmetalpilgrim said:
Unfortunately I'm of pretty much the same opinion as you guys in regards to Metal, but I do enjoy some of the Prog-fusion stuff with the likes of Virgil Donati and Brett Garsed, as well as a new project with Grant Collins on drums...

well ok, i'll rephrase.. i like 'greats' of Aussie fusioners.. thats about it. Know whats even worse than Aussie metal tho, Aussie 'HipHop' and the so-called 'Alternative' people that like it.. ugh..

^ yeah thats my general reaction too..

@ Rich - I only ever heard like half of a song of yours from years ago..

and the Veronicas :lol: - have you poor americans been bombarded with them yet?

okay Charis

Click on the link....on the right hand side (next to the name MEGAUPLOAD it asks you to enter the 3 letter code (it gives you the 3 letters). Then you click on download...and wait 45 seconds...click download again and then music happens.

its easy

Unfortunately I'm of pretty much the same opinion as you guys in regards to Metal, but I do enjoy some of the Prog-fusion stuff with the likes of Virgil Donati and Brett Garsed, as well as a new project with Grant Collins on drums...

But in Metal, basically nothing... :erk:

However I hope to rectify that in the future... :headbang:

I forgot to include the great Tommy Emmanuel as an Australian who is awesome, he's not very metal, but he's still amazing... :worship:

Charis.

discover Voyager and Virgin Black, for starters :)

as for 'nu metal' I think that is a oversimplified generalization by MJ. sorry to say it but it is.

nu metal is simple crappy music, if you like it than fine...but most musicians or metal lovers do no because its all emo music since...EMO and Nu Metal are the same...Linkin Park has some decent songs, that sound good yes...But yet not one of them can play an instrument or sing... System of a down, mudvayne...Ugh all crap, atreyu THUMBS DOWN! this thread should of never reserected

nu metal is simple crappy music, if you like it than fine...but most musicians or metal lovers do no because its all emo music since...EMO and Nu Metal are the same...Linkin Park has some decent songs, that sound good yes...But yet not one of them can play an instrument or sing... System of a down, mudvayne...Ugh all crap, atreyu THUMBS DOWN! this thread should of never reserected

errr listen to fall out boy, then listen to Cog, im pretty sure youll find no similarities.

the big thing i hate about 'nu-metal' is the vocal style - the half rap half sing thing.. bleck! i also cant stand punk and emo music coz their vocal styles make me want to slit my wrists.

p.s. @ kenny R. - checking out samples of virgin black now, not too bad..they have an appeal..

I know James in JB HIFI... He wears a Dream Theater shirt sometimes, and has glasses and dark hair...

I used to go in and buy new cd's every week, but I haven't been in about a month, which is good, cos I'm trying to save the money for uni, and then a new guitar...

i was thinking while reading your comments about the "natural"ism of music...

IMO Music shouldn't (in most cases)be natural at all... and now i will explain (cuz otherwise people will start calling me an asshat and a moron without any real reason, just because I didn't provide enlightenment ;))

music is as we know an art form. just as painter creates a landscape with his brush strokes, a musician creates a soundscape with his instrument.

Now consider this: If I paint a beautiful and detailed picture of a mountain scene, if all it is is just a replication of a naturally existing scene, then you may as well just go to the mountains for a greater effect. To bring something to the creation that renders a greater personal response, the artist must change the image to envoke what it is he is trying to instil in the viewer. this can be as simple as enhancing a few colors, to adding objects, or to wildly distoring the scene until it is only barely recognizable. but the point is, the unatural alterations is what tells you what the artists is trying to say.

of course sometimes though all we want is a picture to remind us of the mountains, its just that its much easier to just paint a picture of the mountains, rather than inspire creativity to express yourself in some greater meaning.

same holds true for music. One can just create some simple riffs that just say things like "aggressive", "party!", "love", "hate" or a million other "scenes" and thus, music that simply states these things can be appropriate, however its easy to do and, and now unlike painting, its easier to make a killing with these simple creations, and thus the market gets flooded.

That being said, you can take unatural and unexpected turns in your music to add true detail and meaning to your composition.

The problem with this is (I atleast believe) that most people are not inclined to spend any real time investing in music. All the want is a quick fix, they just want to feel the straight up one-word-describes-it emotional charge they get from a standard pop song.

Proggle-heads and other "deeper" music affectionados, on the other hand, who would rather invest time in actually listening to the song and perhaps understanding what its about, would just say "I've seen this before, move on"

its just like some people say "nice car" not knowing what the engine is, how comfy the interior is, how good it is on gas etc. they just liked the way it looked on the exterior.

so furthermore, if you put up a million pictures of mountain scenes on the wall, the pop music types will look and say "yes its clearly a mountain, beautiful!" or "it barely even resembles a mountain, horrible" while a affectionado type will say "yup, its a mountain... i can look out the window and see that..." or "its a mountain, but clearly theres more to the story, lets investigate!"

I've said a lot, so I'll just say that what it comes down to is that some people are content just to experience the world around them from a distance, while others (most of us on this forum would fall into this group) would rather be able to gain something insightful from it all.

Now as for those saying ALL NU-METAL IS CRAP!!!...

If we go back to the wall of mountains... lets just for arguments sake call them all "nu-Metal Mountains". You may look at the first few, and see that yes they are infact mountains, but you quickly get bored and stop investing any seriosu time in looking for anything perticularly investment worthy as you move along the wall, and eventually you walk away and find something else to do... but further down the wall, here and there, they may be a few real gems, but since they are on the wall, you have associated them with the other, "just same old seen it before Nu-Metal Mountains"..

Its really a pretty basic principle in human psycology... and its not at all unlike the way a white person witnesses a few black people committing crimes and then decides that all black people are inherantly criminal in nature.

so while you may usual dislike nu-metal, there certainly are a few out there that can express themselves to your level of satisfaction, so atleast don't knock it til you've really heard it, and just consider yourself blessed to have a mind capable of deeper thinking.

Reactions: progmetaldan
Racist. :p

I definately agree with the first half, and the second half may be true as well, but it doesn't change the fact that I don't like Nu-metal and think it is all crap... If it has enough to grab my attention and hold my attention and make me enjoy it, then it probably doesn't really fit into the Nu-metal genre...

I know James in JB HIFI... He wears a Dream Theater shirt sometimes, and has glasses and dark hair...

I used to go in and buy new cd's every week, but I haven't been in about a month, which is good, cos I'm trying to save the money for uni, and then a new guitar...
yepyep, thats him. i walk in the door and he all but throws cd's at me, lol!! i'm not happy with him at the moment coz he's going to melbourne to see blind guardian... oh well... his oldies have a shop down the road from yours... i think its called "hang up" or something like that, its on the other side of da costa arcade from where you are.