Name some albums/bands you can't stand but get endless praise.

Henrik Main said:
Ehrm, yeah. When thinking about it, it wasn't entirely appropriate to put them and Necrophobic in my list - they don't really get "endless praise" in metal circles in general, but they're always being praised by every single so-called "metal elitist" in the world, almost. They're decent, but not the OMG BEST BAND EVER band that some people claim they are.

Dissection would be more appropriate

crimsonfloyd said:
Im sick of Beheirt worship, though everyone seems to think they create an "overwhemlingly dark atmosphere" to me it raises images of Cookie Monster getting stuck in a washer machine.

ever heard Electric doom synthesis?

Crimson Velvet said:
Black Sabbath, Venom and Judas Priest in particullar. Everything they've done, someone else have done better, only later.

Not saying your wrong or anything but what bands are better? I would love to hear them because those are 3 AMAZING bands imo.

Black Sabbath did it best.

and as far as grindcore goes, the sheer nature of the genre prevents anything decent from being released from it. To produce a 'good grindcore' album, you'd have to defy the rules to which the genre adheres, translated simply as; not being shit.

misfit said:
and as far as grindcore goes, the sheer nature of the genre prevents anything decent from being released from it. To produce a 'good grindcore' album, you'd have to defy the rules to which the genre adheres, translated simply as; not being shit.

Guardian of Darkness said:
I don't like the Ulver I've heard very much but I haven't heard any of their 'BM' albums fully, so I don't think I should comment.

Get Bergtatt, you know you want to.

On Nattens Madrigal, Ulver succeeded to capture the essence of BM. No wonder they moved on to other styles after NM; any additional BM release would have been obsolete.

Just about any Blind Guardian album (hate the bombasticness and Hansi's voice)

Voivod's Dimension Hatross (disjointed and I hate the vocals)
Opeth's Deliverance (sleep metal, the true-metal version of Tool in my book, and that is not a compliment)
Meshuggah's Chaosphere and Nothing (repetitive, incoherent and boring)
Spiral Architect's A Sceptic Universe (Dream Theater have NOTHING on this band when it comes to wankery - at least DT can write catchy music, these guys cannot)

Cythraul said:
I really like how inarticulate dolts lack the ability to evaluate a band's worth on any other scale than the fun-factor.

@ inarticulate, doltish metalheads.

I'll use no more to describe you other than "condescending asshole." Many, MANY people, including myself, have that little, tiny special ability to evaluate music on both overal enjoyment AND musical/compositional prowess. Of course, to a thundercunt like you, that probably translates to someone like me being illiterate due to the lack of an SRP-esque jargon overload!

Get out.

I am bored to death by the Celtic Winter by Graveland.
Thousand Swords is better, but also very boring.
I do not understand why it should be seen as blackened folk music. - Folk music normally is very accesible and has something like a chorus or a melody that is easyly remembered. Graveland on the other hand is, even if it is good and i just cannot see it, not easy to get into at all.

*sigh*

Fuck this thread and all threds like it. Probably because I like just about everything.

However...

Jean-Pierre said:
thundercunt

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

For the record, I thought Cythraul hated sRP and his clones.

I think both Necrophobic and Sacramentum's debut albums are brilliant, I really do.

Sacramentum takes a while to get into because at first it seems warmer than a great deal of black metal (though in another sense, even more icy). Exploration uncovers a dramatic, epic, ancient narrative that's really involving. It's one that you'll get nothing from by focusing solely on the main melodies, you need to let wash over you in the way that stuff like "Pure Holocaust" and the latest Deathspell Omega might (though I consider it better than either), to really grasp its subtleties.

I don't understand why people say that TNS is overrated though, not only is it crushing but it's wholly accessible. It's one that I'd expect even the most aesthetics-inclined DMers on this board to enjoy (save the odd BRUTAL-MEANS-BETTER HAIL TO THE GORE fag).