Official GMD Photo/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you never around to back me up when I make these arguments? :mad:

Sorry.

Pride in something you contribute nothing to is not pride, but enjoyment. Do you take pride in your favorite album? Or your favorite food? If you do either of these, you're retarded. However, you can be proud of your ability to play your favorite album or cook your favorite food, because these are things that you actually accomplished. You didn't "accomplish" being Italian, and you certainly didn't further the Italian ideal in any way, so you have no grounds for having pride in being Italian, just like the rest of the people in the world. There is no pride to be felt for the birthplace of one's ancestors.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. You just said it better.

Yeah ... no.

Your favorite album and favorite food =/= your heritage, they are two completely different things and on NO LEVEL should they be compared.

No. It is the same basic principle.

Not very big I don't think. Only a few artists get to go each year, it's extremely competitive and a big deal to get in...It's really more of a retreat/residency than a school.

Actually it reminds me a little bit of a cult at times. :ill:

That makes it even cooler. Just don't drink the Koolaid.

I'm just trying to make a point that comparing your favorite album or favorite food to your heritage in ANY situation, even to say you can't be proud of your heritage is stupid and doesn't work.

...all of which is fine, unless FNM does well at being an Italian, which we have yet to confirm or deny, in which case he could well be proud.

Sorry.

:erk:

How the fuck do you "do well at being an Italian?" Seriously, it's bullshit.

Yeah ... no.

Your favorite album and favorite food =/= your heritage, they are two completely different things and on NO LEVEL should they be compared.

They're not being compared, their ability to be performed is being compared. You're proud of performing your favorite music, you're proud of cooking your favorite food. You're not proud of listening and eating. Likewise, you're not proud of being, and merely coincidentally at that. The simple fact is that being a certain race is not something can possibly induce pride because there is nothing in it which inherently relates to pride. You can be proud of carrying on the traditions of your ancestors and things of that sort, but simply being of Germanic origin is completely separate from pride.

They're not being compared, their ability to be performed is being compared. You're proud of performing your favorite music, you're proud of cooking your favorite food. You're not proud of listening and eating. Likewise, you're not proud of being, and merely coincidentally at that. The simple fact is that being a certain race is not something can possibly induce pride because there is nothing in it which inherently relates to pride. You can be proud of carrying on the traditions of your ancestors and things of that sort, but simply being of Germanic origin is completely separate from pride.

Same with gay pride. Anyone who waves their sexuality in people's face when the people don't want to hear about it is fucking stupid.

Competition is a completely separate paradigm from casual dining. Come on, you're better than that. In three years you'll realize that a lot of the things that you used to believe in were really fucking stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.