Official Hockey Thread

markgugs said:
One of the Flyers fans on another board I hang on said the same thing about him. They expect him to be the starter by next season I think.

I think that's pretty accurate - mostly due to Esche's contract and good standing with the team. One thing that is certain though, Nittymaki's going to get plenty of action soon as the Flyers have an insane stretch of games coming up - if Nittymaki gets hot and Esche falters, you have to give the hot goalie the nod, so the situation can always change in an instant.

Esche does have valuable playoff experience - but then again Nittymaki led the Flyers' minor league team to the championship last year. I'm definitely big time excited either way about the team's chances as a whole this year.

I'm actually really glad that the Rangers are doing so well also. Time to rekindle that awesome rivalry. The Flyers/Rangers games in the late 80's/early 90's were awesome and extremely intense. A lot of that was taken away by the emergence of the New Jersey Devils (for BOTH teams, not just the Flyers). I'd much rather watch the up and down freestyle play of today's game, than the boring, defensive oriented game that the Devils practically invented and patented over the last decade. :)

Definitely, I was just talking about that with a friend of mine (one of the guys I used to share Rangers season tickets with). It's so awesome to have the rivalries back and meaning something!

What's funny about the whole goaltending thing as well is that the Rangers ALSO have ANOTHER young kid, down at Hartford. Al Montoya, he's supposed to be the real deal, so maybe they'll be able to move forward with 2 young studs, or move one to shore up their team in some other place.

FYI, Rangers @ Philadelphia, Sat. Feb. 4, 5:00 PM. Get tickets. :cool:

markgugs said:
What's funny about the whole goaltending thing as well is that the Rangers ALSO have ANOTHER young kid, down at Hartford. Al Montoya, he's supposed to be the real deal, so maybe they'll be able to move forward with 2 young studs, or move one to shore up their team in some other place.

Nice, sounds like their future between the pipes is set - although I'd always be wary of not having a veteran netminder on hand for some stability if things get rough. Just like young pitchers with great talent, a few rough patches for goalies early on in their careers can be devasting to the confidence factor. A sure-handed veteran can always help smooth those situations over early in a rising star's career.

markgugs said:
FYI, Rangers @ Philadelphia, Sat. Feb. 4, 5:00 PM. Get tickets. :cool:

I'm definitely up for it if you are. I can probably score some great seats if I work at it.

Dude, if you can get tickets, I'm *definitely* up for it. Especially a Sat. afternoon. Then we can go out and get blind, stumbling drunk on the South Side. I'll make sure to wear my Rangers jersey, if only to guarantee the night won't be a boring one. HA HA.

markgugs said:
Dude, if you can get tickets, I'm *definitely* up for it. Especially a Sat. afternoon. Then we can go out and get blind, stumbling drunk on the South Side.

Bank on it - I'll get 'em and let you know when I find the right deal.

markgugs said:
I'll make sure to wear my Rangers jersey, if only to guarantee the night won't be a boring one. HA HA.

I can GUARANTEE that as well if you wear it, LOL. Bring your thickest skin with you that night.

Just got back from the local Junior A teams hockey game. We beat our rival (and neighbour) the nanaimo clippers 7 - 4. They're like the top team in the league (only because they're a bunch of fucking goons and play so fucking dirty).

Was a solid game.

i was at the blues 11th straight last night. i kinda felt sorry for them. they reminded me of when i would watch dayton bombers games (their ECHL affiliate). yet, the guy they called up from peoria, curtis sanford, made some very very nice saves. too bad they didnt have the offense........or defense to help him out. oh well, they gotta win eventually. maybe against the jackets or hawks. hahahaha

also, what was the deal with carolina's utter destruction last night?

markgugs said:
Take note NHL, the Blueshirts are back.
blech. i LOATHE the rangers. partly because i used to be a big isles fan and partly for the way they used to have 50 trillion dollars to play around with. i know it's not like that anymore, but i have residual hatred.

dorian gray said:
blech. i LOATHE the rangers. partly because i used to be a big isles fan and partly for the way they used to have 50 trillion dollars to play around with. i know it's not like that anymore, but i have residual hatred.

Hate 'em all you want, just recanize that they're playing world class hockey right now.

i cant understand why pittsburgh is sucking so badly. their roster is ridiculously talented. they *are* making something of a comeback - relative to their terrible start, but they still have more OTLs than wins.

i guess it's just a testament to how good hockey is. any team can beat any other team any given night. it's a matter of how badly they want it. theres a lot of press saying how lazy the pens are. i believe it. i've been to many a game where players just skate around, hoping the puck doesnt come to them. it's wierd.
whatever. hockey rules. no other sport has as much constant action.

@markgugs: theres a writeup about the rangers on NHL.com today.

Hockey: One of the few games that lets me beat the fuck out of some guy I don't know from a whole in the wall and all I do is go sit in a box for 5 mins.

Also:

Hockey: One of the few games that lets me slam into some fucker in my way and send him flying and all i have to worry about is maybe a 2 minute break or perhaps a fight leading to a 5 minute break.