Opeth and religion

What is your religious worldview?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
opeth8 said:
I'm down with JC.

I'm down with Jesus, or Adad of Assyria, Adonis, Apollo, Heracles ("Hercules") and Zeus of Greece, Alcides of Thebes, Attis of Phrygia, Baal of Phoenicia, Bali of Afghanistan, Beddru of Japan, Buddha of India, Crite of Chaldea, Deva Tat of Siam, Hesus of the Druids, Mikael of Opeth, Horus, Osiris, and Serapis of Egypt, Indra of Tibet/India, Jao of Nepal, Krishna of India, Mikado of the Sintoos, Mithra of Persia, Odin of the Scandinavians, Prometheus of Caucasus/Greece, Quetzalcoatl of Mexico, Salivahana of Bermuda
Tammuz of Syria, Thor of the Gauls, Wittoba of the Bilingonese, Xamolxis of Thrace, Zarathustra/Zoroaster of Persia, Zoar of the Bonzes... whatever he was called...

They are all pretty similar afterall... :lol:

daz436 said:
I'm baptised catholic but I voted athiest and here is why:

I didnt read the title of the poll properly

:(

well, being baptised and actually practicing that religion are two different things....which is why alot of people (religious or not) dont get their children baptised right away nowadays...they allow them to decide later on in life...so that the baptism isnt pointless so to speak.

but of course, this topic has turned into the crap that religion topics ALWAYS turn into.

affinityband said:
Im actually quite interested on this subject anyway, care to enlighten?

I didn't read his post so I don't know what the rubbish was, but that the universe is expanding is not a theory, it is a fact. If you really are interested in this kind of stuff I thoroughly recommend reading "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. It is a great book in which he explains pretty much all the fundamentals of how the universe works as we know it today and also all the theories about the stuff we do not yet know for sure (and for religious people, he does not in any way deny the existance of a God and even specifically addresses this issue at the very beginning of the book). And it's not explained with complex equations or anything, he has a really fun writing style and the book is filled with useful images and analogies to help the reader understand the sometimes mindboggling stuff.

If I recall correctly (I haven't read it in a few years) he compared the expansion of the universe to a balloon. If you draw two dots on a balloon, and you blow it up further the distance between those dots will get bigger. That is what's happening in the universe which scientists have measured by comparing the relative distances between certain points in space (like the positions of certain stars or galaxies). That is how it is known (and not a theory) that the universe is still expanding. Whether that means it is actually "infinite" is a whole different matter (and I don't remember offhand what Hawking says about that).

this could be a more interesting thread if it were on the deicide forum, i guess... we could quote a shitload of stuff from benton after all :lol: there isn't a whole lot of religious themes in opeth, so i guess people from rather different religious backgrounds can listen to opeth. still, i was not expecting such a large christian turnout on the poll.

Necromantic-Hiko said:
which is why alot of people (religious or not) dont get their children baptised right away nowadays...they allow them to decide later on in life...so that the baptism isnt pointless so to speak.
Anabaptism ftw. Keepin it Mennonite up in here.

i'm agnostic. i don't think that we (humans) will ever have a concrete answer to the "ultimate question." pondering on existence is always fun though.

but, if someone said, "joe, i know the answer to the ultimate question. if you don't guess right, i'm going to shoot you," I would respond with, "ummm, existence is god."

the universe is quite a crazy contraption. its pretty fucking big, and infinite. according to what we know of physics, it has never not been.

CAIRATH said:
I didn't read his post so I don't know what the rubbish was, but that the universe is expanding is not a theory, it is a fact. If you really are interested in this kind of stuff I thoroughly recommend reading "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. It is a great book in which he explains pretty much all the fundamentals of how the universe works as we know it today and also all the theories about the stuff we do not yet know for sure (and for religious people, he does not in any way deny the existance of a God and even specifically addresses this issue at the very beginning of the book). And it's not explained with complex equations or anything, he has a really fun writing style and the book is filled with useful images and analogies to help the reader understand the sometimes mindboggling stuff.

If I recall correctly (I haven't read it in a few years) he compared the expansion of the universe to a balloon. If you draw two dots on a balloon, and you blow it up further the distance between those dots will get bigger. That is what's happening in the universe which scientists have measured by comparing the relative distances between certain points in space (like the positions of certain stars or galaxies). That is how it is known (and not a theory) that the universe is still expanding. Whether that means it is actually "infinite" is a whole different matter (and I don't remember offhand what Hawking says about that).

oh yah, if hes so smart...why is he dead? explain that!

affinityband said:
Im actually quite interested on this subject anyway, care to enlighten?
I'm not gonna deal with any god related consequences(god isn't the subject of study of science anyway and this thread is retarded enough as it is)
The universe is expanding. However, this is misunderstood as being like the expansion related to pressure difference(like, the pressure inside the singularity before the big bang was bigger than the pressure outside, thus exploding), when it's actually an expansion of the time-space continuum itself. I remember seeing an analogy somewhere that if you get two points in the surface of a rubber baloon and blow it, they'll get further and further, so to an ant walking on it, it would seem like the 'space' was expanding. Think in 3d and voilá. There's a lot of mathematical refinement involved, but one can basically think that all other points in the universe are moving away according to a function of the distance - the farther away a galaxy or star is from us, the faster it moves, and there is a distance(called hubble's distance if I recall correctly) where this speed exceeds the speed of light. However, that doesn't mean that everyone inside this boundary is confined nor implies that the universe is infinite or finite or whatever. According to calculations based on redshift(no it's not doppler effect) there have been detected stars with recession speeds several times larger than the speed of light.

EDIT: CAIRATH beat me to it - btw, read 'the universe in a nutshell' too
affinityband said:
COB forum was probably a better place lol
Well I never saw a religion thread there.

BloodyScalpel said:
btw, read 'the universe in a nutshell' too

Absolutely. Possibly the best coffee table book ever created. I recommended A Brief History of Time since that one is more written as an A-Z explanation whereas Universe In A Nutshell is more a "look stuff up" kind of book. But they are both excellent reads. I am not a physicist or astronomer of any kind (I study computer science) but I have always had a fascination for that kind of stuff and being able to read a well-written and understandable book about complex matter like that is just really fun. Even if sometimes it is so difficult to grasp (especially when he gets to string theory and 4+ dimensions, my head just implodes).

Status
Not open for further replies.