Opeth Ripp Off Tool?!

HellboundeD said:
So iam at school and i show my friends Opeth's Newer CD Damnation So they heard a bit of the CD and they had the fucking nerve to call Opeth a rip off of Tool And a Perfect Circle....I Dont know but i was pissed i smack them up side the heads for being Dumbass and leave....Tool and A Perfect Circle are nothing to Opeth
That's the most terrible thing I've heard in my life. I seriously think your life is over now.

What a lovely first impression I've gotten from this board. :Smug:

I'd imagine that if I'd never heard Opeth before and someone threw in Damnation (which would start with Windowpane), I would definitely see similarities to APC. Think about it: really soft guitar intro, slightly choppy drum work, very atmospheric and soothing vocals that could easily be compared to Maynard's on APC.

Now, saying that Opeth RIPPED OFF Tool would be completely false, and is quite an ignorant statement.

opeth is my fave band ever and i would also put tool and apc in my top ten. i dont see much of a resemblance really.

and apc isnt that soft either. they are a rock band for fuck's sake. lol of course they arent heavy as fuck but im pretty sure apc is much heavier than the damnation album. i dont get it at all.

after watching tool twice and opeth twice
altho opeth are METAL! and Tool are more rock i would put TOOL infront of opeth due to their artistic integrity and brilliance
while opeth is GREAT MUSIC
tool has great music with subliminal meanings behind it which i dig
TOOL shows have satisfied me aurally and visually while opeth lacks a bit on the visual side
prob due to having a smaller medium to get their music across compared to tool...
my 2cents

Illuminatixvx said:
Tool’s first CD came out in 1993...

Wrong. Tool's Opiate was released in 1992 (check the copyright). Undertow was released in 1993 and it was this album that got them their first national exposure with the song, Sober.

For your friends to state that Tool and/or A Perfect Circle sound anything like Opeth is just complete ignorance of the facts. It brings up the question if they listen to any of these bands. If anything, Opeth has more in common with early Black Sabbath than Tool or APC.

pretty fricken hiliarious thread.

another case of people just not having an idea of enough bands to compare other bands to.

Tool has been around longer than Opeth. At least as far as CDs go...

Opiate - 1992

Orchid - 1994

Score one for the newbie, and one for Tool.
Mike said tonight they have been around for close to 30 years also 7 cd's fucks me what the really early ones are.. but tool being around for long then opeth.... HAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAH CHOCK ON YOUR DADS PIN DICK.

Twice Forgotten said:
Mike said tonight they have been around for close to 30 years

Man, Mike is just around 30 years old.. the rest of the members are UNDER 30! Opeth has been around since 1990 if you don't count when it was just David Isberg and a bunch of losers :p

That's 14 years! And Tool has been around for what? Like... 12, at least? I don't know how long they were around before Opiate was released.

This isn't much difference, not worth all your bitching over it. Two years difference doesn't make Opeth any fucking better. It's their music that does that :D

Man, of course! Opeth are totally equal to tool! See.. they both have eh.. guitars.. and...... eh.... drums ?..... eh... cool... and some guy's singing.. you see ? totally equal!

mot- said:
Man, of course! Opeth are totally equal to tool! See.. they both have eh.. guitars.. and...... eh.... drums ?..... eh... cool... and some guy's singing.. you see ? totally equal!
hahahah

really funny

Eon Blue said:
Tool has been around longer than Opeth. At least as far as CDs go...

Opiate - 1992

Orchid - 1994

Score one for the newbie, and one for Tool.

Uhh opeth was playing for years before orchid came out. :Smug:

Fucking retardation runs rampant in the high school halls of america. I love tool (well the last 2, Undertow fn blows) And APC 13th step is pretty awesome. But they can't even compare to opeth. Their not worthy to re-string mikael's guitar let alone be consider as the influence for Opeth. Mikael has said he listens to alot of bands. Doesn't necessarily mean he's using them as influences. In one interview he stated that he doesn't listen to any music during the recording process, so it wouldn't have an affect on his music. Opeth= Zeus :worship:
Tool= Hercules (Just half immortal)