Opeth Ripp Off Tool?!

some songs on Orchid and Morningrise were written well before 1991 (see booklet). however, I don't understand how you can compare Opeth to Tool, they're totally different

Siberia said:
I'd imagine that if I'd never heard Opeth before and someone threw in Damnation (which would start with Windowpane), I would definitely see similarities to APC.
then i would assume that you only listen to the radio.

Siberia said:
Think about it: really soft guitar intro, slightly choppy drum work, very atmospheric and soothing vocals that could easily be compared to Maynard's on APC.
you just described hundreds of bands that existed before maynard ever sang a note.

jester00 said:
pretty fricken hiliarious thread.
another case of people just not having an idea of enough bands to compare other bands to.
yes.

HellboundeD said:
So iam at school and i show my friends Opeth's Newer CD Damnation So they heard a bit of the CD and they had the fucking nerve to call Opeth a rip off of Tool And a Perfect Circle....I Dont know but i was pissed i smack them up side the heads for being Dumbass and leave....Tool and A Perfect Circle are nothing to Opeth
You need to buy your so called "friends" some new ears, cause I don't hear much similarities between the two bands, other than both having guitar and drum sounds. It doesn't really signify anything.

I never realized how immature a lot of Opeth fans are. I mean "so called friends"?! It's not like the dudes slightly ignorant opinion on music makes him an asshole. Jeez.

Anyway, I think your friend was probably comparing damnation to thirteenth step, which is stupid because there's no possible way that album could have influenced damnation. Damnation was recorded in 2002, and thirteenth step didn't come out till 2003. The only other A perfect circle album-mer de noms, sounds nothing like damnation. I can't think of any Tool albums that sound similar enough to it to have been an influence either.

Oh, and just to give my two cents on the whole "who's better" aspect, I think Opeth are a bit more unique as far as composition and arrangement goes. Tool are great and all, but I think a lot of it is more hype then pure musicianship. Not trying to bash on them, but I've never really been able to see why so many people think they're the best band out there. To their credit, it is a mostly rewarding experience, but on the other hand Tool lyrics just plain SUCK compared to most Opeth lyrics.

maynard.jpg
http://www.win.ne.jp/~kaolly/rock/maynard.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing Opeth and Tool tour together. It could happen seeing as how Tool like to tour with bands that sound way different than them (like Meshuggah).

I think the influx of message board bitching that would result from this tour however would cause a hole to open in outer space that would eventually suck planet earth into.

i dont see that happening anytime soon. tool shows are sold out hours after ticket release to the crowds of kids waiting in line - i dont think adding opeth to the bill would be sufficient enough for me to sit in the back of the stadium in a seat worth 70 dollars around a gay orgy of star wars fans/protestant christians/drunken college frat guys.

I've listened to every Tool and Opeth album a hundreds of times.

Both bands have a distinctive sound and they are very different. The only Opeth albums that sound similar are the two most recently, probably due to a Lopez/drum influence, but Opeth doesn't sound like a rip-off in any way shape or form. If any of you think otherwise then you need to listen to either more tool or more opeth...

As for APC... I don't even think that APC sounds like Tool too much, with the exception of Maynard James Keenan.