opeth the only death metal band some of you listen too?

I don't really consider Opeth death metal, so I don't think I could possibly say that they're the only death metal band I listen to.

I don't really like death metal. It just sounds so dull.

Wow. The tastes of the forum sure have changed a bit. It seems the only DM people like is progressive stuff (Death, Atheist, Cynic, Pestilence) or technical stuff (Nile, Necrophagist, Cryptopsy). I'm surprised so many people don't like DM at all.

MasterOLightning said:
Anal Cunt is not death metal. Cattle Decapitation is not death metal.

Orphaned Land is not death metal (assuming you're talking about their newer stuff.)

Their are many good DM bands. People should try to expand beyond the entry-level bands however.

Black metal is better than death metal anyway though.

Ok, Anal Cunt is far from death metal. But how the fuck can you say Cattle Decap isnt death metal? Honestly...

I like my death metal

I like oldschool entombed, dismember, grave, necrophagist, Aborted(though I still havent heard the new album and have heard bad things about it as far as death metal goes) Ribspreader, Edge of Sanity, Bloodbath, Cannibal Corpse, some of the melo death Carcass stuff though I enjoyed their gore grind days better, Crimson Massacre(both death and black influneces here coming through in nice raw tech vibe) Cryptopsy, Suffocation, Cattle Decapitation(yes...death metal), Death, Decapitated, Infernal Ressurection, Jigsore Terror(mix of influences here again but defiantly can fall into death metal) Kataklysm, Morbid Angel, Vehemence, Carnage, Demonicon...and im sure im forgeting about some but its 2 in the morning and im about to go to bed after burning this acid bath mix to go sleep too...

Oh, and I disagree on the black metal being better than death metal statement. I guess thats a matter of opinion. But yeah not many black bands I really like... early Agathodaimon, Marduk, Emperor, God Dethroned (they make overall cool music though their lyrics are horrid. also a mix of influences in their music I guess) Hecate Enthroned, Fairytale Abuse, Leviathan, early Ulver and then some bands that have obvious black metal influences but are not fully in the genre.

MasterOLightning said:
Wow. The tastes of the forum sure have changed a bit. It seems the only DM people like is progressive stuff (Death, Atheist, Cynic, Pestilence) or technical stuff (Nile, Necrophagist, Cryptopsy). I'm surprised so many people don't like DM at all.

I like the first few albums by Death, and not really the other stuff all that much. So for me they dont fall under progressive when I think of them. (though I know later stuff is more progressive, just isnt the 'Death' I listen too)

@PhlegethonVeins

Okay, Cattle Decap are borderline. I'd consider them goregrind, more than DM, but whatever.

You can't judge black metal until you've gone through Darkthrone, Burzum, Drudkh, Kvist, Blut Aus Nord, and some of the more essential bands. These bands are better than most of the ones you listed, except for Emperor, which is superior. I always thought Marduk was weak and childish, and what I've heard of God Dethroned was borderline death/black metal, but not bad. Early Ulver is pretty solid.

When people talk about Death, they usually mean the last three albums. I find Human to be the best one. The early stuff is still pretty good for what was out at the time.

Cannibal Corpse, Pig Destroyer, Deranged, Fleshgrind, The Berzerker, Dying Fetus, Vader, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Thorium, Nile, Dismember, Decapitated, Brutal Truth, Insomnium, Incantation, Arch Enemy, In Flames, Akercocke, Benediction, Cadaver, Gehenna, Horror Of Horrors, Fleshcrawl, Malediction etc.

Ok so people might argue about some being Grind (Berzerker etc) or BM (Akercocke, Gehenna) or proggish-DM (Insomnium) or sell-outs (Arch Enemy, In Flames) but pretty much all of them have been described as DM either by themselves or people I know at some point in their careers so who am I to argue?

Out of all of them Insomnium is probably closest to Opeth in their sound, and of course stuff like Morbid Angel who have obviously been an influence to Opeth.

The Berzerker.. that shit blew me away when i first heard them (i was 14) - presuming we're talking about the same band..

Don't listen to all that much DM really.. Death, Vader, Psycroptic, Embodied (2 good aussie bands \m/) can't be arsed thinking anymore so i shall leave it there.. but there's more.. Entombed (Left hand Path and Candlestine) fuck it..

The Australian Gabba-Death-Grindcore Berzerker. They have a new album out soon and they always impress me, and their live guitarist Matt is now in Akercocke.

I prefer black metal myself....Emperor and such. And a hell of a lot of pagan bands and such :) As for death metal, well Vader's probably my favourite. I'm not a huge huge fan, but I still enjoy to listen every once in a while.

vampyrouss said:
The Australian Gabba-Death-Grindcore Berzerker. They have a new album out soon and they always impress me, and their live guitarist Matt is now in Akercocke.

well then yes, we were talking about the same band. I never liked them. Can't stand that kind of grind crap.. but yeh. Entertaining live, nonetheless.

I don't listen to straight up death-metal. If Opeth is a death-metal band, then yeah, they are the only one I listen to. I do listen to other types of metal, like doom occasionally (Swallow The Sun is great) and progressive almost all of the time, but other than that, no. I much more of a prog-rock fan myself.

Opeth are the only death metal band I listen to......unless you consider Dark Tranquillity to be DM......but I dont.

My tastes are all over the board, but I am hating the metal genre more and more each day.

Bands I listen to a lot:
Pink Floyd
the Used (yeah, laugh it up.....but they are pretty damn good)
REM
Queen
Opeth
Dark Tranquillity

Not Death I know, but anyone else into Meshaggah? Not really like Opeth either, although they make albums that are kind of complex and take a while to get into. I'm also a pretty big Slayer fan, as I may have occasionally mentioned :)

MasterOLightning said:
@PhlegethonVeins

Okay, Cattle Decap are borderline. I'd consider them goregrind, more than DM, but whatever.

You can't judge black metal until you've gone through Darkthrone, Burzum, Drudkh, Kvist, Blut Aus Nord, and some of the more essential bands. These bands are better than most of the ones you listed, except for Emperor, which is superior. I always thought Marduk was weak and childish, and what I've heard of God Dethroned was borderline death/black metal, but not bad. Early Ulver is pretty solid.

When people talk about Death, they usually mean the last three albums. I find Human to be the best one. The early stuff is still pretty good for what was out at the time.

Yeah thats why I said God Dethroned had a mix of influences. But yeah I dont like Burzum, thought Darkthrone was ok but they didnt really 'catch' my ear. The others I havent listened too.

I feel the last 3 Marduk albums had many strong points. Im not big on 'being as blasphemous as possible' or 'nazi' shit but those albums all impressed me. And then there are random songs from their other albums that I feel are strong but I dont think their other albums stand in comparison at all.