opeth the only death metal band some of you listen too?

(Meshuggah/SYL isn't death metal)

I listen to some Death (only TSOP actually) and that's about it. I mean, bands like Necrophagist sure make quality music, but then most of the time I don't feel like listening to that (maybe im too old, though)

My favorite death metal bands.

Morbid Angel
Immolation
Entombed
Grave
Nocturnus
Deceased
Carcass(Necroticism,heartwork)
Incantation
Dismember
Autopsy
Carnage
Unleashed(old)
Death
Gorguts
Brutality(first two)
Monstrosity
Edge of Sanity
Bloodbath
Unanimated
Massacra
Atrocity(old)
Pestilence
Adramelech(first album)
Demigod
Amorphis(old)
Malevolent Creation
Cannibal Corpse
Sentenced(old)
Sinister(first couple)
Possessed
Demilich
Bolt Thrower
Disincarnate
Loudblast(old)
Atheist
Cryptopsy
Suffocation
Benediction
Oppressor

This thread's a little confusing to me. I'm seeing Opeth lumped in with bands like Cryptopsy, Nile, Cannibal Corpse, Necrophagist, etc... Opeth are not like these bands in any way, aside from Mikael's death vocals. If growling vocals = death metal, then basically every metal band out there should be considered to be death metal. I would consider bands like Hypocrisy, Dark Tranquillity and Nightrage to be a lot closer to death metal than I would ever consider Opeth to be. The only band that I listen to that I would consider to be "death metal" would be Immolation. And I'll occasionally listen to Nile's Annihilation of the Wicked.

Just recently got into the "Legendary", 'Hypocrisy'. 'Virus' is awesome now I just gotta work backwards...

Sickman said:
This thread's a little confusing to me. I'm seeing Opeth lumped in with bands like Cryptopsy, Nile, Cannibal Corpse, Necrophagist, etc... Opeth are not like these bands in any way, aside from Mikael's death vocals. If growling vocals = death metal, then basically every metal band out there should be considered to be death metal. I would consider bands like Hypocrisy, Dark Tranquillity and Nightrage to be a lot closer to death metal than I would ever consider Opeth to be. The only band that I listen to that I would consider to be "death metal" would be Immolation. And I'll occasionally listen to Nile's Annihilation of the Wicked.
Well, it's only because Opeth doesn't really fit into any genre, but they are generally categorized as death metal. Also, I don't think basically every metal band should be considered DM if they have growling vocals because most metal bands DON'T have growling vocals.

Opeth seem to have the best bits of BM, DM, Prog and just straight metal and a billion other traits from other genres too, but they are always mentioned as Prog Death Metal, so we just seem to call them that.

Swallow The Sun I just got into and are really amazing! I wasn't expecting much but I really enjoyed their newest album, I think. The one with a women on the front and a song called The Giant I think...

Anyway, a lot of BM bands get classed as DM when they start using better production or something... but its all the same really, good music. I don't care if its classed as DM, BM, Pop, Rap, as long as it sounds as cool as the bands that have been mentioned I am happy.

Well, not sure what makes something DM...I'm not even sure how to label some of these bands. Not sure I need to. Anyone have ideas?

Borknagar
Vintersorg
Hollenthon
Evemaster
Biomechanical
Carcass (grind?)
In Flames (melo-death?)
Arch Enemy (")
Noctiferia
Shadows Fall
The Haunted
At the Gates

I guess the last three aren't necessarily DM, but I like 'em. Of course, I do like Morbid Angel. But as far as your basic DM, I guess I'm not really into it. A lot of it strikes me as being fairly...one-dimensional, I guess. Maybe I haven't found the right stuff...I have Nile's first and wasn't terribly impressed. I thought it was kind of boring, actually. But it did make my dog go crazy and scratch my wife's face. She remembers Nile to this day for that. I guess that counts for something.:erk:

The Haunted are (or started off as) a Thrash band, but nowadays they sound a little more boring and like all metal does nowadays. Their first 2 albums are in my top 50 albums probably, but definatly not DM.

Hello. New here.

I just call it all metal. I'm confused with all the sub-genres. What the hell is 'death metal' or 'black metal'? I guess it's all relative.

Anyways, other metal bands I listen to:
Meshuggah
Strapping Young Lad (I'm a fan of anything Devy is involved with)
Soilwork
Hypocrisy
In Flames

Well...one, maybe two of the bands you mentioned could be considered Death metal. Anyway, I forgot to mention them and I'm kind of surprised no one else has but Amon Amarth is an awesome melodic death metal band...just thought I would mention that.

Call me a pussy if you will but some stuff is just to heavy for me, the likes of Nile is as heavy as I'll go however, I've spent the last few days getting hold of as much stuff from the first three Death albums as possible.

personal favourites aside from the mighty Opeth are, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, The Haunted, Arch Enemy, Nile, Death, Venom (some stuff from "Black Metal" can be counted as Death Metal I feel) there's more but that's stuff I really like.

Generally speaking pure Death Metal does little for me, I prefer stuff to have a melody to it somthing you can really lose yourself in.

However pure original Death Metal is just so fucking brutal in the double bass drumming, A# tuned guitars and vocal delivery that it's difficult to ignore just how much it can affect you.

soundave said:
Well, not sure what makes something DM...I'm not even sure how to label some of these bands. Not sure I need to. Anyone have ideas?

Borknagar progressive/viking black metal
Vintersorg viking/folk black-ish metal
Hollenthon melodic death metal
Evemaster black/death metal
Biomechanical progressive metal
Carcass (grind?) grind, then melodic death,
In Flames (melo-death?) melodeath
Arch Enemy (") melodeath
Noctiferia symphonic black death
Shadows Fall melo-thrash/metalcore i guess
The Haunted melodeath
At the Gates death metal early, melodeath later

I guess the last three aren't necessarily DM, but I like 'em. Of course, I do like Morbid Angel. But as far as your basic DM, I guess I'm not really into it. A lot of it strikes me as being fairly...one-dimensional, I guess. Maybe I haven't found the right stuff...I have Nile's first and wasn't terribly impressed. I thought it was kind of boring, actually. But it did make my dog go crazy and scratch my wife's face. She remembers Nile to this day for that. I guess that counts for something.:erk:

I looked up the ones I didn't know. Nile gets better with each album. You should start with Annihilation of the Wicked and work backwards.

From The Haunted bio on their website: "With 12 songs, they staged an upheaval not only in the Swedish metal scene but also around the world by setting a new standard for truly innovative thrash metal. Touring the U.K. with Napalm Death, THE HAUNTED quickly established an enviable live reputation and soon outshined all their contemporaries."

MasterOLightning said:
Nile gets better with each album. You should start with Annihilation of the Wicked and work backwards.

"Annihilation of the Wicked" is a superb album like however, "Unas Slayer of the Gods" is my favourite songs by them.

Love your little bitmap Emperor logo by the way, made me chuckle.

Yeah, I do listen to a lot of Death Metal, but I steer clear of the more simplistic stuff and bands that sing about raping a virgin's cunt and garbage like that. Give me some intelligent music, please!

Athiest
Cynic
Death
Pestilence
Mithras
Morbid Angel
Aghora

That sort of thing.

Of course, I also listen to the likes of Nile, Cryptopsy, Carcass and so forth. But my main love lies with the more intelligent Death Metal mentioned above.

^^^ To each their own..and I think I forgot to mention Deicide earlier as well but to be honest I don't really listen to either very often. There are so many other Death metal bands that I would rather listen too and I enjoy Opeth more then either of those two bands...I like them both, they just aren't my favorites.

Personally I've always been into metal. As a kid I grew up on Maiden, Metallica & Slayer. In the 90's I really got into EuroMetal. Opeth is at the top of my list, because I think they're better than anyone else. Their music is amazing. Mikael is a genius IMO. I discovered them later on when Deliverance came out & since then I've been obsessed with their music. I've listened to many DeathMetal bands, but don't care for most of them. I like more BlackMetal bands than I do Death bands, but none as much as Opeth. Just my 2 cents