opeth the only death metal band some of you listen too?

I've got a lot of respect for CC especially after watching the DVD with their newest album, I guess its newest. They are working on the next one now I believe?

PhlegethonVeins said:
You can go by what they sound like.

Hardcore/metalcore.

Also known as shit.

Whoa how could you hate them???:OMG:

They kick ass!

O well matter of opinion

Mainly old stuff like; Death, Morbid Angel, At The Gates, Obituary, Cynic, Entombed, Edge Of Sanity.

But also, NILE and necrophagist and of course Bloodbath.

I have yet to bother listening to cyptopsy and hypocrisy.....i dont have the time in the day to strat checking out new stuff all the time (not saying that they are new, just new to me).

As for BM, i can't get on with all the screeching....I prefer the roar of DM.

I think those stable of bands take a lot of grief especially on this forum after the Sounds Of The Underground thingy, but to be honest I haven't listened to any of those bands, so I can't really judge them just on their names!

vampyrouss said:
I think those stable of bands take a lot of grief especially on this forum after the Sounds Of The Underground thingy, but to be honest I haven't listened to any of those bands, so I can't really judge them just on their names!

Wait why do they take alot of grief after sounds of the underground...

I didnt really like the bands they were with apart from...

Chimaira
Opeth

O i just read a review on sounds of the underground... Not ready for ozzfest tour... a bunch of those bands were on ozzfest ha...

vampyrouss said:
I've got a lot of respect for CC especially after watching the DVD with their newest album, I guess its newest. They are working on the next one now I believe?

According to their website, yes.

Me too, I love DM, but BM and Doom/Drone is something else!
I love it all, but I can relate to the atmosphere of BM and Doom more than DM, which is probably the thing Opeth have taken from the BM scene, the atmosphere.

As much as I love Cannibal Corpse they don't really have atmosphere, and I don't think they want it so its great to headbang too but I prefer the deeper more thoughtful nature of Opeth and BM bands. And of course BM can be brutal and harsh on your ears, and Drone almost bored my friend to tears, but I can never get enough of that deep and atmospheric music.

Seeing 5ive live was one of the best musical experiences of my life. A Mayhem fan in a sleeveless t shirt and a Slipknot kid in a hoody stood side by side swaying... And no violence ensued. If thats not miracle music I don't know what is!

I'm very huge on old school...I pretty much own every great CD from that era...that I like anyway. resurrection, suffocation, dismember, gorguts, malevolent creation, pestilence, death, nocturnus, atrocity, morbid angel, deicide, brutality, disincarnate, monstrosity, benediction..the list goes on!...I also like some newer bands like psycroptic, decapitated, lost soul, wormed, blood red throne, beheaded etc....glad most of the people here are listing real death metal and not the maiden influenced melodic stuff...there's nothing wrong with that music either (besides bands rehashing each other) but we're talking real death metal here.

Maybe this is a stupid question. If so, I apologize for my ignorance. :erk:

But it seems like there is some confusion as to just what constitutes DM. Any experts out there care to lay down the characteristics of DM as opposed to all other subgenres of metal? We've all listed bands, and many people are correcting one another. So what are the DM requirements?

Death metal is usually identified by extreme brutality, intensity and speed. "Blast beats" are frequently used to add to the intensity of the music. The vocals - death grunts, (guttural roars) or "growls", as they are often called, are rough and often incomprehensible.

From Wikipedia.

For a whole thing on it see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_metal

Thanks Vampyrouss! I'll check it out. I feel like people really throw that term around pretty loosely.