opeth the only death metal band some of you listen too?

Hahaha. Anal Cunt. Jesus, I'm glad this was mentioned. I'de be to ashamed to mention them myself.

My friend gave me a burned CD full of their shit. I personally enjoy Art Fag, A Van Full of Retards, I Lit Your Baby on Fire, and their cover of American Woman :tickled:

Forest-of-October said:
Hahaha. Anal Cunt. Jesus, I'm glad this was mentioned. I'de be to ashamed to mention them myself.

My friend gave me a burned CD full of their shit. I personally enjoy Art Fag, A Van Full of Retards, I Lit Your Baby on Fire, and their cover of American Woman :tickled:

lol dude, I don't found it ashame:headbang:
I love them and they are all rulez!
I most enjoy"I just saw your mother sxxking santa claus"

:eek:
I guess Dimmu Borgir is more black metal than death metal, but I have listened to some of the more mentioned bands on here... Opeth is just a special sound that fits in a unique spot in the musical map. Recently my Ipod got wiped and I only put opeth back on there... So far no need to put anything else on it.

I don't know if I'd classify Opeth as death metal. But then again, I don't know if I'd want to classify Opeth at all...

Anyway, to answer your question. Mostly old school death metal. Some examples: Benediction, Bloodbath, Bolt Thrower, Comecon, Death, Deicide, Dismember, Edge of Sanity, Entombed, Grave, Hypocrisy, In Flames, Incubus, Massacre, Napalm Death, Obituary, Old Man's Child, Pestilence, Unanimated, Unleashed.

Stilgar said:
I don't know if I'd classify Opeth as death metal. But then again, I don't know if I'd want to classify Opeth at all...

Anyway, to answer your question. Mostly old school death metal. Some examples: Benediction, Bloodbath, Bolt Thrower, Comecon, Death, Deicide, Dismember, Edge of Sanity, Entombed, Grave, Hypocrisy, In Flames, Incubus, Massacre, Napalm Death, Obituary, Old Man's Child, Pestilence, Unanimated, Unleashed.
You know, I was just looking at the definition of MELODIC death metal on wikipedia, and it does seem to be pretty different from pure death metal, maybe to the point where it should just have a different name altogether. Anyway, the point is Opeth seems like a good representation of the melodic death metal sound, which they are usually labeled as.

FRUGiHOYi said:
You know, I was just looking at the definition of MELODIC death metal on wikipedia, and it does seem to be pretty different from pure death metal, maybe to the point where it should just have a different name altogether. Anyway, the point is Opeth seems like a good representation of the melodic death metal sound, which they are usually labeled as.
Well... I'm not saying that you're wrong... But Unanimated is often classified as melodic death metal. And they're quite different from Opeth. No clear vocals at all, but they do have wonderful guitar riffs in the middle of all the growling. ;)

Stilgar said:
Yeah. Benediction is nice. :) I only have The Grand Leveller, Dark Is The Season and Transcend The Rubicon. Have you heard any of their newer stuff? Any good?

I have Dreams You Dread and Grind Bastard. TtR is newer than those, so you may have a better feel for what they sound like now (or more recently). A guy I met at recording engineering school gave me a tape with their stuff. I loved it. Haven't listened to it in years though. I'll have to dig it out. Maybe get the CD's or download or something.

Leper_Affinity said:
LAMB OF GOD!

They are part of the "New Wave of American Heavy Metal," so therefore they can't be helped but be group with nu-metal, metalcore etc.

But seriously Opeth fans, they have some really awesome songs. They do have a metalcore image, but IMHO their musicianship is top notch.

If you are 'sickened' by the metalcore image that bands like Killswitch have, listen to the cd 'as the palaces burn.'

The vocals are more a high-pitched 'death' sound, not the deep growls that you can find with most death metal bands. That, i guess, would be enough to rule them out of the death metal genre.

But the riffs, and the drum arrangements and fills, they are so good. Purely addictive.

If you are expecting the mystic charm of Opeth, i'd look elsewhere. Because the 'pure american metal' badge would quickly chase you away.

No, their vocals are not death metal vocals. But most important...the music is far from death metal.

If you want to inform people about LoG...perhaps you should do it in a thread that isnt meant for death metal bands.

Lost_Orchid said:
Have you ever noticed that when someone is saying they hate sub-genres it is when a band they like is being bashed??? Just thought I would point that out and I do like Lamb of God but to say they are death metal is a pretty ignorant statement. They are simply metalcore. Good metalcore....but still metalcore.

If you look back i clearly stated i didn't know if they were death metal...... i said i didnt know what they were apart from Pure american metal.....

But the first part of your post is true...

Opeth is not the only, but it definitely has been the first death metal band I've listened to.
I bought Blackwater Park after falling in love with Mikael's voice in Ayreon - The Human Equation.

But I still prefer more technical and complex death bands such as the last Death (Symbolic, The Sound of Perseverance, what masterpieces!), Dark Tranquillity, or Vintersorg (The Focusing Blur is a kind of death-black-prog-viking-folk album).

Now I'm looking for Edge of Sanity.

I don't listen to too much death metal apart from Opeth...

old man's child, bloodbath, In flames....... not sure of other stuff and their "classification".

Check out a band called Dark Lunacy. They aren't very well known but they have got me hooked lately. They use a heap of orchestral instruments and are pretty different to most other metal bands I've checked out lately. If I could put a name on what they sound like it would be kind of like a heavier, more progressive My Dying Bride sound. Plenty of growling, double kicking, the odd female vocal and quality songwriting, this band rules.