opeth the only death metal band some of you listen too?

vampyrouss said:
Swallow The Sun I just got into and are really amazing! I wasn't expecting much but I really enjoyed their newest album, I think. The one with a women on the front and a song called The Giant I think...

They're one of my favorite bands right now. As much as I like their new album, The Ghosts of Loss, it doesn't quite match the greatness of The Morning Never Came. If you haven't heard this, you need to check it out. It's definitely right up there in my list of favorite doom metal albums. This album has one of the thickest, heaviest production jobs I've heard. And the vocals are awesome as well.

opeth is progressive death metal END OF STORY, how could you possibly listen to them and not think they are some derivative of DM

Opeth are progressive metal with death influences. They're not death metal, they just don't have really anything musically in common with death metal. Not saying it's a bad thing either way, I'm sure they could play real death metal if they wanted to, but Opeth are much better than "real" death metal.

Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Vital Remains (terribly underrated band), Aborted, Cannibal Corpse, etc.

I can't listen to Opeth if I'm in the mood for death metal. In fact, beyond the death vocals, I'd have a hard time calling them death metal anyway. Of course, that might be because they're the greatest band on earth, so y'know...

Sickman said:
They're one of my favorite bands right now. As much as I like their new album, The Ghosts of Loss, it doesn't quite match the greatness of The Morning Never Came. If you haven't heard this, you need to check it out. It's definitely right up there in my list of favorite doom metal albums. This album has one of the thickest, heaviest production jobs I've heard. And the vocals are awesome as well.

I want to hear that then! I read that they are on Century Media now because of something to do with Olympic Recordings getting sued, or at least threatened of legal action and stuff. I laughed so much because they definatly deserve to be on Century Media anyway!

Gorguts, Sceptic, Carcass, The Hate Project, Bloodbath and many others that are already mentioned.

Hey vampyrouss what part of Devon are you from? I lived in Honiton a few years back.

I listen to lots of metal ... actually it's through Opeth I discovered metal once (years ago), and it's through Opeth that I also discovered other music like prog from the 70's and other mellow stuff ...

other death metalbands I like: Nile, Morbid Angel, Aborted, In-Quest, Suffocation, ...
actually most death metal is stuff I'm only recently discovering, I was more into other stuff at first (black and doom especially)

Stimuli said:
To be honest... they are the only death band i listen too...

tried to get into the others... but it didnt work out... Bands like Nile have great moments in their music... but overall... in my humble opinion, its really quite forgettable music...

and I know bands shouldnt be judged by their names... but c'mon.... Anal Cunt??? Cattle Decapitation???

some death metal bands (not all) seem - to me at lest - to be as much about image as britney spears and 50 cent...

edit: let me point out that I have not heard many of the bands mentioned, and I am quite a novice when it comes to death metal... At the Gates and Cynic are crazy though....

No no you hit the nail on the head... for most bands it's about the Evil, the dark bullshit... for some bands it adds to the affect .. like Emperor they look nuts because they are nuts and it grabs you a bit harder pulls you in a bit closer to show you what it actually has to offer you... cradle of filth are a bunch of pussies ... their music and whatever else. To me if a band looks like they sound it gets through to me much better , some bands may have the look but not the music which comes out a little more pathetic, some bands may have the music but not the look which is awesome in my opinion. It's a matter of balance and brains.

If a band sucks they shouldn't get all full of blood and shit it's just a waste of good make-up which could be used by some attention starved 16 year old girl during her period... but if you were to attend some of these bands practices you would probably see that there isn't much difference between the two .. so share the corpse paint I guess.

But anyway... I believe .... actually fuck that, I know that with any style of music you will have about a 90-95% group who have no right to be playing music, then you have another 1-2% of people who have bands which a few of the members just leached onto the creativity of their mates (it's easy to take a guy off the street and make him a bassist.. sometimes) and then on top of that huge pile of shit you have Opeth, Tool, Radiohead, Emperor, etc..

Sometimes I get sick of good music... I get sick of getting blown away by musicians and i'll listen to sub-par music like Cradle of Flith just to remind myself of how happy I am to be me and not have wasted whatever talent I have on tasteless music.

On the other hand I will probably read this post in a few weeks and think " why did I write that, people aren't perfect I should have more concideration for people for it is the love of people which perfects life and memory"

Life is too good to be sitting at your computer .... go learn an instrument not to be able to play it ... to be able to play yourself.

Sorry for all this bullshit tlak

I don't know, people hate CoF because of their fans and fame. They don't hate their drummer Adrian who was in The Haunted and people would say he was a good drummer then, or Martin the (Ex-)keyboardist who is pretty much one of the best all round musicians I can think of except maybe Mike Patton, since I've never heard Martin sing... But anyway.

This is supposed to be about DM isn't it? What is with CoF and Emperor being brought up? (I love both those bands by the way, but they are in no way DM...)

What is Lamb of God??? could that be death metal....

I listen to Opeth but i dont think there death metal, ill occasionally listen to Deicide but not on a regular basis...

Leper_Affinity said:
Cannibal Corpse is horrible - shit vocals. But I really like Deicide - their self-titled album anyway. Dead by Dawn! Dead by Dawn! Dead by Dawn!

Haha thats funny. Seeing as Cannibal Corpse's current singer is actually a pretty damn talented growler. And deicide have to use massive layering because their growls are not strong enough to stand on their own.

vampyrouss said:
Don't think I have heard them before, but after a 5 second journey to google:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=lamb+of+god&meta=
Pure American metal.
If you can't go by what their official website says, what can you go by? :(

Ya true what can you go by....I knew they were pure american metal but i dunno i kinda didnt want to say that cuz that new wave of pure american metal (Lamb of God, god forbid etc) is knida not really a genre... Im just gonna say metal...

There my abbsolute favorite band... listen to them every thing kicks ass...