Opeth....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrum

Psion
Aug 14, 2006
Boston, MA
What the hell is so great about them? I just got their latest two cds, which completes the Opeth discography, and i just dont see it. The vocals suck, and everything else is sort of average. The acoustic segments, as well as the acoustic album, are not too bad, the guitarist knows what hes doing. But they are still not too special.

i dont get it.

The vocals suck? You have weird taste. Unless you don't like the mixture of clean vocals or the overall progressivness of the music.

Montu Sekhmet said:
The vocals suck? You have weird taste. Unless you don't like the mixture of clean vocals or the overall progressivness of the music.

welp there it is, the generic opeth fan "i guess you just don't get it" response in the very first reply!

Mikael and the musicians that back him are great. Whenever I listen to my opeth cds are still really into it. I remember it was cool at one point on this forum to hate opeth. I did not get the criticism nor ever went for it.

There is nothing special about them, MAYH is good on occasion, and I used to like Orchid but I've started to get very bored with it.

It still is trendy to hate Opeth. The infusion of noobs has made this less apparent than before.

One problem is that they haven't put out great material since 2001. It's easy for people who haven't heard anything but Deliverance or Ghost Reveries to say Opeth sucks. People should listen to Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse, and Blackwater Park before passing judgment on Opeth.

former opeth fanboy checking in

i own all their albums up thru damnation and i dont really like them that much any more

Spectacular Views said:
former opeth fanboy checking in

i own all their albums up thru damnation and i dont really like them that much any more

That's because you are 'different' now.

(lol at people who think they were different 3 years ago or will be different 3 years from now). You will never change.

The Greys said:
That's because you are 'different' now.

(lol at people who think they were different 3 years ago or will be different 3 years from now). You will never change.

:confused: it's not like this is related to the fact that i dont listen to metal as much any more (i'm listening to more metal lately than i have in months btw), i dismissed them way before that happened

it's absolutely possible that the average die hard metalhead on this forum doesn't "get" Opeth. why wouldn't it be? they don't know/understand where they're coming from musically and can be incredibly closeminded about non-metal elements in their music, as I once was

it's also possible someone just might not like them for whatever reason. the point is it doesn't really matter

anyway. great band all around

I never listen to Opeth anymore but I'd still consider myself a fan and the first three are really good (and some songs on BWP). There is nothing sensational about them that is hard to understand though.

My only exposure to Opeth was seeing them on the Gigantour stop in San Diego last month. They played three 9 or 10 minute songs and that was it. They weren't terrible, but I'm not rushing out to buy their stuff either. Somebody down front even hurled a water bottle at the vocalist's melon and luckily for him he saw it coming at the last moment and ducked out of the way.

I'll have to borrow one of their CDs sometime and check them out some more.

I really like Opeth. Blackwater Park and Still Life are just beautiful albums that I couldn't hate no matter how much I tried. Mikael Åkerfeldt is also, in my opinion, one of the best vocalists in the metal scene.

Mikael is a talented vocalist. I must admit, I used to be an Opeth fanboy years ago. I don't really like them that much anymore. I find their music to be cloying and some of their songwriting to be haphazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.