Opeth....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy the arguments too, they're just more fun without blatant, bullshit censorship. Too many rules = no fun = lose!

@Nick: Too much thought? Psh, 30 seconds of boredom and a bit of pent up ire at seeing this guy close down perfectly decent threads left and right.

Spectacular Views said:

I agree with this, however some of the most musically knowledged people I know are mostly into metal. The average metal fan is pretty much a dullard when it comes to music.

I think what we all know Authentic_Metalhead meant that metal fans THINK they're smarter than the average music fan.

edit: is it just me or is Authentic_Metalhead a really shitty username? Like, shittier than Demilich even. Almost shittier than IAmEternal even but not quite.

is it supposed to be ironic? i can't decide if that sucks more or less

Authentic Metalhead said:
Listen to yourselves, you sound like a bunch of senile old cunts! You make it sound like Opeth is some dull, monotonous buzzing. I, for one, find it infinitely more interesting than any of this "slam death" or "brutal death" bullshit.

I don't mind repetition in a riff when it has the energy and originality to bear repeating a few times, and in quick succession.

Opeth love to draw out riffs that don't sound that unique and when repeated x 4 times stick out like a sore thumb.

Mind you I don't hate them or think they're shit. Most of my criticisms are against GR, which I think is the start of their decline.

As for metalheads being smarter than the average music fan....

I think of it as being more dedicated than the average music fan.

Reactions: Mort Divine
Demilich said:
I think what we all know Authentic_Metalhead meant that metal fans THINK they're smarter than the average music fan.

Well, if this forum is any indication, then at least some of their are better at articulating their opinions.

My username actually does carry irony in it, for the title is completely opposite of what I represent. First of all, the term "metalhead" is attributed to people who frequent metal concerts, have little appreciation for music outside of the metal circle and drink excessively, none of which describe me. Secondly, I have only been listening to metal for little over a year, so I could hardly be considered an "authentic" one.

Maybe I should just change my fucking display name. :rolleyes:

Authentic Metalhead said:
Well, if this forum is any indication, then at least some of their are better at articulating their opinions.

My username actually does carry irony in it, for the title is completely opposite of what I represent. First of all, the term "metalhead" is attributed to people who frequent metal concerts, have little appreciation for music outside of the metal circle and drink excessively, none of which describe me. Secondly, I have only been listening to metal for little over a year, so I could hardly be considered an "authentic" one.

Maybe I should just change my fucking display name. :rolleyes:

1) This forum really isn't a very good indication. Blabbermouth is.

2) Yes, please change your name.

@Necuatul and AM: Looking at any tiny fragment of the metal community (particularly online) is NOT going to give you anything close to a reasonable representation of the average metalhead.

@AM: About the name thing, that was kind of stupid of me, sorry. I still don't like the name, but wtf, I can keep that to myself. Keep on rokkin :kickass:

The average person is retarded, so I don't think that it's too big of a stretch to say that the average metalhead isn't particularly bright either. Metalheads tend to shine a very positive light on themselves when it seems much more common for intelligent people in the 'community' to be the outlier and not the norm. Their justification usually lies in the fact that they listen to obscure music, when in reality I'm sure there are plenty of brilliant mathematicians and scientists who have no problem simply listening to the radio.

Reactions: Demilich and Matt
Necuratul said:
The average person is retarded, so I don't think that it's too big of a stretch to say that the average metalhead isn't particularly bright either. Metalheads tend to shine a very positive light on themselves when it seems much more common for intelligent people in the 'community' to be the outlier and not the norm. Their justification usually lies in the fact that they listen to obscure music, when in reality I'm sure there are plenty of brilliant mathematicians and scientists who have no problem simply listening to the radio.

Rep +1.

I just noticed that my anti-VVVVV post got me my first negative rep ever! I'm kinda proud, though I'd like to know who it was! Come on Zephyrus, I'm not gonna be mad at you I promise :lol:

I got my first negative rep since it's been reinstalled for this post with the comment "re: idiot." Oddly enough, I got this TODAY, and I posted that on the 8th.

Reactions: Hatebreeder
Demilich said:
@Nick: Too much thought? Psh, 30 seconds of boredom and a bit of pent up ire at seeing this guy close down perfectly decent threads left and right.

By which I probably meant, as long as the 3 stickies exist, I don't much care what goes on in the rest of this forum. Furthermore, I didn't think you even came here, so it surprised me you cared so much. That's it, really.

Demilich said:
I just noticed that my anti-VVVVV post got me my first negative rep ever! I'm kinda proud, though I'd like to know who it was! Come on Zephyrus, I'm not gonna be mad at you I promise :lol:

I don't give out negative reps, except to Spectacular Views.

Reactions: Demilich
Status
Not open for further replies.