Opthe newbie advice

You can't get in to My Arms Your Hearse?

I can understand Morningrise and Orchid (in fact I only just realised exactly how awful the production on Morningrise is yesterday), but My Arms?

What's it missing, to you?

affinityband said:
lol just check out a really early Ulver album or something. Morningrise and Orchid sound blessed compared to that.
Yeah, I've got Nattens Madrigal, it's much worse than either one of them.
But I was just saying out of all opeth albums, Mornigrise and Orcid have really bad production.

Powers said:
You can't get in to My Arms Your Hearse?

I can understand Morningrise and Orchid (in fact I only just realised exactly how awful the production on Morningrise is yesterday), but My Arms?

What's it missing, to you?

Well i cant put my finger on it exactly, i really like april etherial but after that it really goes down hill for me. Amen corner and demon of the fall are ok, but are nothing to write home about. Alot of people on here seem to really love When, ive tried so many times to understand why but i never seem to be able to get it. Its a mix between average production and songs that just do nothing for me. Still life, blackwater park and ghost reveries are my personal favourites :kickass:

reidie said:
Well i cant put my finger on it exactly, i really like april etherial but after that it really goes down hill for me. Amen corner and demon of the fall are ok, but are nothing to write home about. Alot of people on here seem to really love When, ive tried so many times to understand why but i never seem to be able to get it. Its a mix between average production and songs that just do nothing for me. Still life, blackwater park and ghost reveries are my personal favourites :kickass:

out of all opeth albums mayh took me the longest to fully appreciate. but its definately one of their finest acheivements.

reidie said:
you.
are.
missing.
out.

i would go still life or GR next, but hell they are all good like many have said chances are youll end up getting them all anyway

reidie said:

Hey Reidie...I ususally agree with you. You gave me some great Dream Theater advice a few months back. I can't imagine how far beyond Blackwater Park they could have gone. I'd guess that earlier releases aren't as mature.

I bought Damnation, and I think it's really dull, boring and monotonous. I was REALLY disappointed. It just lays there and never goes anywhere...melodicaly, compositionaly...snore!!! The slow, clean, melodic passages in their heavier stuff is great, but it doesn't hold up to an entire album. And enough with that vocal sounding like it's through a radio effect...man, does that get old!:mad:

schenkadere said:
Hey Reidie...I ususally agree with you. You gave me some great Dream Theater advice a few months back. I can't imagine how far beyond Blackwater Park they could have gone. I'd guess that earlier releases aren't as mature.

I bought Damnation, and I think it's really dull, boring and monotonous. I was REALLY disappointed. It just lays there and never goes anywhere...melodicaly, compositionaly...snore!!! The slow, clean, melodic passages in their heavier stuff is great, but it doesn't hold up to an entire album. And enough with that vocal sounding like it's through a radio effect...man, does that get old!:mad:
You know what. I figured it out, you need to hear My Arms Your Hearse, right now. That should clear up any doubts you have. And yes Damnation is SUPPOSED to be a more mellow Opeth which wasn't meant to appeal to everybody iirc.

metal_wrath said:
You know what. I figured it out, you need to hear My Arms Your Hearse, right now. That should clear up any doubts you have. And yes Damnation is SUPPOSED to be a more mellow Opeth which wasn't meant to appeal to everybody iirc.

I've been a musician for 26 years...I have played and studied many types of music...mellow or heavy as shit, good music appeals to me no matter what the genre...sorry, but Damnation just isn't so hot. I was looking forward to the mellow and melodic, that's why I spent 19 fucking dollars on this boring and mundane release.

I'll sample your suggestion...thanks.

schenkadere said:

Seriously mate check out Still life :headbang: