Opthe newbie advice

seriously mate, if Damnation didn't rock your world, be sure to stay away from the ghosts and pick Still Life instead.

reidie said:
Seriously mate check out Still life :headbang:

Still Life it is...I'll order it today. Reidie, you like this better than Blackwater Park?

Not only did Damnation not rock my world...I'm actually pissed that I payed good money for it. I sampled it, but I thought the songs would go somewhere from the 30 sec. samples, but man, did that fall flat!:mad:

schenkadere said:
Still Life it is...I'll order it today. Reidie, you like this better than Blackwater Park?

They both are their best two works imo, its too hard to say wich one i prefer, i could give you a different answer every couple of days. If you like Blackwater park you love still life :headbang:

reidie said:
They both are their best two works imo, its too hard to say wich one i prefer, i could give you a different answer every couple of days. If you like Blackwater park you love still life :headbang:

Cool...thanks...can't find it in the stores...gotta order it.

when can i take u from dis place > the ends of most other songs

It's difficult to "not like" Damanation, probably because it's nice and easy to listen to. No doubt it could be said it's boring, but there again it's not meant to be a typical Opeth album. You can't judge it by the same standards you judge any other album.

Powers said:
No doubt it could be said it's boring, but there again it's not meant to be a typical Opeth album. You can't judge it by the same standards you judge any other album.

I actually do enjoy the majority of damnation however that last sentence is bullshit. Why the fuck not? Its music, either you like it or you dont, just because it has opeths name on it doesnt mean you have to force yourself to like it...

Powers said:
It's difficult to "not like" Damanation, probably because it's nice and easy to listen to. No doubt it could be said it's boring, but there again it's not meant to be a typical Opeth album. You can't judge it by the same standards you judge any other album.

That's kind of retarded. Damnation is my favorite Opeth album. Hardly boring IMO. It's different, but still Opeth.

reidie said:
I actually do enjoy the majority of damnation however that last sentence is bullshit. Why the fuck not? Its music, either you like it or you dont, just because it has opeths name on it doesnt mean you have to force yourself to like it...

No I mean you can't judge it by the same standards you judge any other Opeth album. I'm aware of what you mean but, erm, well here's an analogy, films right. It'd be like judging Terminator by the same standards you judge Casablanca, yes they're still films, great films at that, but total different from each other, or Romeo and Juliet and Hunt for the Red October.

Are you seeing what I mean? Your porogative if you don't but I definetly see the finer differences.

Powers said:
No I mean you can't judge it by the same standards you judge any other Opeth album. I'm aware of what you mean but, erm, well here's an analogy, films right. It'd be like judging Terminator by the same standards you judge Casablanca, yes they're still films, great films at that, but total different from each other, or Romeo and Juliet and Hunt for the Red October.

Are you seeing what I mean? Your porogative if you don't but I definetly see the finer differences.

you wouldnt compare storylines between terminator and casablanca. its quite simple really....casablanca comes out on top in every possible light except "action sequences".

ferr3t said:
Defanatly either Deliverance or Damnation (just bso you get a sense or the real Opeth, the mellow and the heavy).
That's exactly how I got into them!
But I'd say that if you're after the nice mix go Blackwater Park.
It's a pity you couldn't digest damnation, I adore it personally. It's not for everyone that's for sure- my father loathes it "monotonous, dreary 'dinge' music" he said.
How old are you? Maybe it's a generational thing.