Porcupine Tree - The Incident (2009)

I love Lightbulb sun and blackfield lyrics, i know they are nothing but cheesy love songs, but they bring up feelings for me, in absentia and stupid dream do that too...they are conciously written that way, he is not trying to be someone to quote, he's just putting his feelings to paper, and if you don't like it you obviously don't feel emotions of the same things he does...i know i love his lyrics, i can identify myself in them.

Complicated metaphorical jigsaw lyrics give nothing to me personally, but i'm not saying you shouldn't like lyrics like that either, because i have some distance to myself, i don't tell people what to like and what not to...There are no facts in art, and there is no way you SHOULD do to create something good, that book would have sold billions otherwise.

I liked FOABP musically quite a bit. I liked the spacey stuff mixed with metal and some of Fripp's work.

Lyrically, I actually agree with most of what Wilson had to say - I just wasn't a big fan of how he felt that he had to repeat himself so much.

So yes, I would agree that he is not a great lyricist, but he is decent. Evenless (LONG VERSION) is one of his finest moments.

Looking forward to this!

didnt mind what he was saying, just sounded like a bitch the way he said it. there was nothing even remotely clever or artistic about the way he presented the theme, it was just 'modern kids take pills and are lazy fuckheads.' there was no real depth.

didnt mind what he was saying, just sounded like a bitch the way he said it. there was nothing even remotely clever or artistic about the way he presented the theme, it was just 'modern kids take pills and are lazy fuckheads.' there was no real depth.

Maybe because it was written from the perspective of a 10 yr old.

and thats something you shouldnt do since lines like "my mother is a bitch my father gave up ever trying to talk to me" are retarded. I mean there's some good lyrics on stupid dream/lightbulb sun/in absentia because there were only shit lines scattered here and there - but deadwing and foabp have absolutely terrible lyrics (save for arriving somewhere...), as do the first 4 albums. he should just give up writing lyrics ttytt.

Blackfield said:
of course you can't understand the meaning of the lyrics cauz you're a f# stupid kid.if you don't like just don't listen...
lol dude I know when I was 10, I was not thinking anywhere near as dumb thoughts as those lyrics convey.

Maybe because it was written from the perspective of a 10 yr old.

it's funny how it's so clearly written, without any metaphores what so ever, people still don't get this clear fact...yes it's written from the perspective of a typical teen these days, it's not poorly written, it's what the world is about for youngsters these days, it seems ridiculous for an obvious reason: IT IS RIDICULOUS and scary at the same time. A teen following the Mtv culture so to say, it's a majority in the media, it's what will affect the kids that haven't already been affected by it.

Are you saying they're supposed to be bad, because the youth is stupid? That's like saying that the lyrics to My Arms... should be just "boo", because thats what ghosts do.

Supposed to be bad how? Those quotes you make of it are reflectations of their way of thinking, like "i hate mom and dad" that sounds stupid to you, but it's how they think, if you read again also pointed out that i don't think the lyrics are poorly written.

the whole point of writing lyrics is to get your point across in the most pleasant way hearing wise. it doesnt matter if 'i hate mum and dad' is the theme he is trying to illustrate, he hasnt got the talent to put it in a form that is succint and audibly pleasing. thats why they are bad lyrics.

the whole point of writing lyrics is to get your point across in the most pleasant way hearing wise. it doesnt matter if 'i hate mum and dad' is the theme he is trying to illustrate, he hasnt got the talent to put it in a form that is succint and audibly pleasing. thats why they are bad lyrics.

But then again, are you to deside that?
Would you say your thoughts are more valid than mine?

i don't mind PT lyrics, on one hand i enjoy some song lyrics eg. my ashes, most of the stuff from stupid dream etc.
but steven wilson does have a few songs where there are some really forced lyrics...rhyming for the sake of rhyming, but i don't really care either way, i still appreciate what he's trying to say and the lyrics seem to convey the point in a non-pretentious way, which is good.

problem with steven wilson is hea essentially a self-proclaimed musical genius. I find most of his music bland, boring and cheesy, his prententia levels are thru the roof.

edit: its not that everything he comes up with blows or anything. he comes up with some ok stuff. but is definitely not worthy of the praise he receives

I doubt that he thinks about himself as a musical genious, he is a very down to earth guy once you have a chat with him, it's people like me who have given him that title :) Listen through In Absentia once and try to say that again, i do respect your opinion... but when i listen through in absentia, to the layers, the production...everything about it just blows me away everytime.