Porcupine Tree - The Incident (2009)

I have no idea about who writes what then, hah. Those I mostly spin are probably "Glow", "1.000 People" and "Epidemic". I think their live DVD is actually cooler to watch than the PT one. The "Thank You" cover is really cool.

In Blackfield 2 i think they worked on all songs together, and in the first one they wrote their own songs. You got the dvd? damn I wanna see it! I haven't had money to buy it yet :( I've seen a few songs in youtube though, seems awesome, and I love the thank you cover too, it somehow suites blackfield better than allanis morrisette hehe

Ah, okay. Yeah, I have it. It's got some very emotional performing there for sure. The "Thank You" thing is so weird. Could never listen to the song 'cause of her ultra grating vocals and suddenly SW comes and turns it into a downer fest. Genius.

yeah, they split it like 50-50...and a lot of my favourites are written by aviv, he is very talanted as well...he is very insecure with his voice live though, but he still has a good ground voice.

If you look at the credits on the album, you'll see that Wilson only wrote 2-3 songs on each album.
And I think it's the other way round - I think Wilson doesn't like Aviv's singing too much because of his accent. I think I read that in the newspaper in an interview with them. Aviv is pretty big here with his solo work, and has been for a while, so I don't think it's a problem with self esteem. I think I read that in the newspaper in an interview with them.

I never said he has problems with his self esteem, i said that his voice crackels live, it's fragile...but then again it gives him a personal touch to it, wilson never said he didn't like avivs singing did he? There's an interview with wilson where he says that on the first album they wrote their own songs to the album, and in the second album they wrote everything together, so it was built up more solidly.
Although in wikipedia it says:
All tracks by Steven Wilson/Aviv Geffen except:
Blackfield and Lullaby - by Steven Wilson
Pain, Hole In Me and Where Is My Love - by Aviv Geffen
Not sure this is reliable...but it seems right when you think about it.

If you look at the credits on the album, you'll see that Wilson only wrote 2-3 songs on each album.
And I think it's the other way round - I think Wilson doesn't like Aviv's singing too much because of his accent. I think I read that in the newspaper in an interview with them. Aviv is pretty big here with his solo work, and has been for a while, so I don't think it's a problem with self esteem. I think I read that in the newspaper in an interview with them.

Wait...so did you find that in like..a newspaper or something? maybe in an interview with them?

I doubt that he thinks about himself as a musical genious, he is a very down to earth guy once you have a chat with him, it's people like me who have given him that title :) Listen through In Absentia once and try to say that again, i do respect your opinion... but when i listen through in absentia, to the layers, the production...everything about it just blows me away everytime.
In every interview I've seen, he seems like a nice chap. That being said, and of course this is all speculative, is I think SW should just concentrate fully on PT. PT is his strength. And he's just a part of the band, a big part yes, but Barbieri is masterful at what he does. Harrison is one of the best drummers in all of music, and Edwin is a superb bass player. Take anyone of those cats out and it wouldn't be the same. I've heard Insurgentes and Schoolyard Ghosts both good albums. But, as with FOABP, both of those albums started out strong(first 3-5 songs) and the remaining songs tailed off and didn't hold my attention as well. I just believe at this point in his career, he needs to put his efforts completely into PT. And in the future he will develop into a premier solo artist. I don't care about all his perceived pretentions or attitude. Just create and record good music. I think PT has slipped a bit since DeadWing.

would rather see something like stupid dream tbh, rather than this pseudo-metal bullshit that he's been doing really since in absentia.

lol this thread is funny...it's all subjective...to each his own....personally I'm excited for the Incident and to see them live. If you're on the other side of the fence, I have to ask, why are you still posting here? Just to bash? Do something better with your time please.

lol this thread is funny...it's all subjective...to each his own....personally I'm excited for the Incident and to see them live. If you're on the other side of the fence, I have to ask, why are you still posting here? Just to bash? Do something better with your time please.
This is what is called opinion and speculation on this forum. I suggest you relax and take a Mydol. There are Prog musicians I have spoken to who feel PT has become "Unlistenable." Quite frankly, because of what Mr. Wolfwood said "pseudo-metal bullshit" these people can't take that inclusion into PT's music. I don't agree though. Saying PT is unlistenable because of the "metal" is just flat-out too harsh. But, to each his own.

Wait...so did you find that in like..a newspaper or something? maybe in an interview with them?

It was an interview in the newspaper.

Koi - I distinctly remember Wilson saying that Aviv loves the spotlight and attention, and therefore wants to sing on more songs, but Wilson doesn't like his accent.

From Blackfield II:

1,4,7 - Music and lyrics by Steven Wilson

3,5,8,9,10 - Music and lyrics by Aviv Geffen

2,6 - music by Aviv Geffen, lyrics by Aviv Geffen/Steve Wilson

would rather see something like stupid dream tbh, rather than this pseudo-metal bullshit that he's been doing really since in absentia.

I agree that the mellow side of them works better with pt, although in In Absetia it was all quality stuff, but in FoaBP there were small gaps of uncreativity, deadwing was still solid in my opinion, but the last one had it's weaknesses.

It was an interview in the newspaper.

Koi - I distinctly remember Wilson saying that Aviv loves the spotlight and attention, and therefore wants to sing on more songs, but Wilson doesn't like his accent.

From Blackfield II:

1,4,7 - Music and lyrics by Steven Wilson

3,5,8,9,10 - Music and lyrics by Aviv Geffen

2,6 - music by Aviv Geffen, lyrics by Aviv Geffen/Steve Wilson

Give me proof, i don't think steven would say that, unless being sarcastic :p
They worked on all songs together dude...i can post the interview, that's why steven moved to tell aviv half a year! :)

In every interview I've seen, he seems like a nice chap. That being said, and of course this is all speculative, is I think SW should just concentrate fully on PT. PT is his strength. And he's just a part of the band, a big part yes, but Barbieri is masterful at what he does. Harrison is one of the best drummers in all of music, and Edwin is a superb bass player. Take anyone of those cats out and it wouldn't be the same. I've heard Insurgentes and Schoolyard Ghosts both good albums. But, as with FOABP, both of those albums started out strong(first 3-5 songs) and the remaining songs tailed off and didn't hold my attention as well. I just believe at this point in his career, he needs to put his efforts completely into PT. And in the future he will develop into a premier solo artist. I don't care about all his perceived pretentions or attitude. Just create and record good music. I think PT has slipped a bit since DeadWing.

No-man was his first project, i'm sure there's it's share of nostalgy involved. Insurgentes was stuff that had piled up through the years and he couldn't find use for them, they didn't fit anywhere. Blackfield is my favourite of the projects, including porcupine tree... nowadays the more technical live songwriting is written for PT and the simple songwriting-songwriting is consentrated to blackfield...Blackfield is what PT was about couple records before IA.