Porcupine Tree - The Incident (2009)

Aviv: I think that Pain is an incredible title on the first album, thanks to my voice. On new Epidemic and Miss You sound well thanks to my voice. Steven: Ouais that sounds well… Aviv: But it is because of its ego. Steven: Absolutely not. Aviv: He wants all the appropriations you see (laughter). Steven: The reason for which he does not sing more in this album is that I did not let it make (laughter). One could really speak all during the night about it. Aviv: One often fights because of that. However I find that the pieces where to divide you all the 2 the song are very successful, like Epidemic for example… Steven: Yes it is true. Similar for End Off The World.

You go can be to dig more in this way for the next one? Steven: (hesitant) Hum, ouais why not (laughter). Do not give me ideas (laughter). With the final one, which functions, functions. I do not see reason to let Aviv sing more. Ca functions like that and that has nothing to do with my ego. Aviv: Not, of course that has nothing to do with your ego! (Laughter). Steven: Really, that does not have anything to see… Aviv: Is the most intense part of End Of The World the third verse? (note: part where Aviv sings) Steven: Yes ok, but your example is unfair! Do people buy Blackfield for me or you? Aviv: For you let us see. I say it all the time to you. Steven: Well (laughter). Good master key with another thing please (laughter). Aviv: Not, continues to speak about that (laughter).

You will make a European round in February. Be again played a few old pieces of Porcupine Tree as you made the last time with Waiting for example? Aviv: I want to play Feel So Low. Steven: We will undoubtedly make Feel So Low but this title practically became a song of Blackfield because Porcupine Tree stopped playing it is very a long time… Can be, but Porcupine Tree played this title more recently than any title of Signify for example. Steven: Not. I assure you, you played it during the second European round of In Absentia at the end of 2003. Whereas you played never again of titles resulting from Signify since the first European round from In Absentia in spring 2003… Steven: Ok, you are right. But that made almost 4 years and Porcupine Tree will not rejouera probably any more this song. What occurs it is that Aviv likes this title so much that with Blackfield it became something of different. You will see that in February. Whereas with Porcupine Tree it is a very soft title which never takes off, with Blackfield it became a kind of anthem, an enormous trick where we develop many sounds. You will come to the concert I suppose?

Yes. Steven: Then you will see what I speak because we will play this title. We never played Paris with Blackfield before. So to some extent… Steven: Not. Aviv: If. We played all the 2 unit once. Yes, a very small set of 2 or 3 songs in first part of Porcupine Tree to Leather working in 2003. Steven: Ah ok I see! And you Aviv you had also made a set solo before us. Aviv: Not this time Ci (laughter). Steven: Ok. If not share Feel So Low we will not play of other titles of Porcupine Tree. The first time we were obliged because we did not have sufficient songs to play live. For this round we have 20 songs of Blackfield in which to pick. Moreover Porcupine Tree will play Paris later one month, therefore good… Since Balckfield exists, Porcupine Tree becomes again more intense, more progressive and more ambitious. Is this because you can now completely express your pop aspect in Blackfield and that you do not need any more in Porcupine Tree?

Steven: Yes completely. Blackfield released Porcupine Tree of this aspect. Porcupine Tree can thus be more experimental, plus metal, more complex and do today what it does of better in my opinion: long and experimental songs. Blackfield is today the expression of my compositions short and pop In any case it there of forever have much in Porcupine Tree, just one or two in each album, but today the group can concentrate more on the experimentation. The last time that you came with Porcupine Tree, you interpreted a whole set dedicated to the next album. The third new piece was enormous and very length… Steven: It is even longer on the album. Aviv: (note: being ironical because not liking progressive the) Brilliant one (laughter). Chris Maitland does not make any more party of the group. Is there a particular reason?

Steven: In fact it is more practical thus. Aviv lives in Israel and me in London. At one time we decided where we wanted to base the group. In Israel or in London. You cannot constantly make travel by the plane with 2 or 3 people. By basing the group in Israel, there is only me which needs to take the plane and it is better thus because the outward journeys and returns are expensive. By keeping Chris, it was necessary to make travel each time 2 people instead of one. Make calculation. It is right because of that. But I always get along very well with Chris and I adore to work with him when I have opportunity of it. Can you present the remainder of the line up live of Blackfield to my readers? Aviv: We have Tomer Z with the battery. Seffy Efrati with low and the largest idiot of planet to keyboards (note: Daniel Solomon)… Steven: (laughter) why do you say that? Aviv: Because it is the truth (laughter). Steven: I am afraid well of it alas (laughter). Aviv: To be honest, Blackfield it is right me and Steve. But our beater is incredible. It is a chance to have it. His/her brother played with Genesis and Chris Cornell, but he also it is very good.

Would Aviv which album advise you with somebody who would like to discover your career solo? Aviv: Honestly, I will advise Blackfield 2. The new album. Yes but I wanted to speak about your career solo… Aviv: I know but this second album of Blackfield is very Aviv Geffen. The last song End Of The World is one of my larger tubes in Israel. And for the fans of Blackfield who would like to have more Aviv Geffen to put themselves under the tooth? Aviv: Then they should get compilation Full Moon. It is an double album. But I do not see the interest to listen to Hebrew music for a Western fan. Blackfield is my chance to be able to touch people of other countries that mine. Can be that Steven has suggestions on your career… Steven: I think that there is on each album of Aviv of the songs which the fans of Blackfield would like but I think that there are also some songs which they would not like at all. Blow it is hard to recommend one of its albums in particular. I will be able to make a good compilation on the other hand. Honestly my favorite songs are those which one chooses to translate into English in Blackfield. I will thus say Cloudy Now, Scars and 1000 People which I adore. As an album I will say Memento Mori.

Aviv: Yes it is a good album. Steven, Mike Akerfeldt said to me last December that you finally will be able to work unit in January/February on your project… Steven: (constrained) Ouais. I will not be able to do it. Aviv: Who that? Steven: Mike d' Opeth. I am supposed to make a group with him but I will have to make it wait (laughter). I hoped to be able to go at his place this month Ci and to write with him, but I do not think that will be possible. Ca will arrive but I do not know when. I said to him last month which I will be free in January to write with him. But I make some must always finish the album of Porcupine Tree, then I must begin the repetitions with Blackfield. I do not have any more social life. No the additional project in this moment (laughter). He had spoken to me there is a small moment already possibility to see Robert Fripp implied in the project, but it emitted many reserves since nothing is confirmed. You think that Fripp will take part in this project?

Steven: Yes I think. Ca will be a fiesta of guitar hero (laughter). Robert plays besides on new Porcupine Tree. For the project with Mike, nothing is confirmed and all can arrive. But I will imply without any Robert doubt. I will like to see it exploiting this project. Can one speak a little bit about new Porcupine Tree “Fear Of has Blank Planet” which will leave at the end of April and which will comprise 6 songs? Steven: Yes of course, if Aviv does not see there disadvantages. Aviv: No problems. I will seek me a expresso! Steven: At the time of the last round of Porcupine Tree, we played 6 new songs. 5 of them will be reproduced on the album. There is a song which we did not exploit the round which will replace one of the 6 that we played live. The songs did not really change since the round. We just transfered a title which we replace by another. We recorded something of very faithful so that you heard the last time at Paris. We have guests in more who are Robert Fripp (King Crimson) and Alex Lifeson (Rush) and there are also some arrangements of cords in more but besides they will be versions rather similar so that you heard.

Let us speak again of this third new title which you had interpreted. I have really the impression that it will be traditional album, the showpiece and I do not think of having been the only one to have this impression… Steven: Indeed. During all the round one spoke to me about this title. Everyone sees it like the monster of the new album. It lasts 18 minutes on the album. I cannot unfortunately give you the name of the song. The recording company does not want that I announce it. They want to announce them even the list of the songs of the album. But it will be easy to locate the song on the album because it is very long. All the songs are long, but that there is even more.

I never knew these things, my respect for aviv grew, awesome dude :)
I'm very interested in hearing his solo stuff, anyone mind guiding?
My Gift Of Silence is better than anything Steven wrote for Porcupine Tree lately,
I really wish he would waste more of his energy in blackfield, create the same magic he did with stupid dream, lightbulb sun and IA

^ I thought it was only 2 discs because one had the bigass track split up?

From what I understand the first cd has one 55 minute song and the second cd has 4 more songs. I don't know if the 55 minute song is split up or not. I read subtitles for the different parts of the long song, but I don't think it will be split into individual tracks on the first cd.