Porcupine Tree - The Incident (2009)

yeah, im going to download it, hear it once, decide that it's shit, and then skip over it every time it accidentally plays just like the other newer PT albums

lol

btw, is welpfolks down or something? won't load for me

so pretty much this just sounds like more pretentious lyrics and shitty meshuggah worship, from the sample.

welp folks, what'd we say

so pretty much this just sounds like more pretentious lyrics and shitty meshuggah worship, from the sample.

welp folks, what'd we say
You seem to simply have an agenda against them, they hurt your feelings when they add some new influences to the mix? Wanna go have a good cry?

I thought the clip was quite positive, seems to keep some of the more metal influences of FOABP, but brings back some of the older sound, of course it's just a clip.

no, I dont have any agenda against them. "I was born in 67, the year of sgt pepper"? are you shitting me? this is worse than the lyrics for foabp, which were pretty abysmal

wilson needs to stop trying to be metal and go back to writing either

a) good songs in the vein of stupid dream/lightbulb sun/half of in absentia/arriving somewhere not here
or b) really long psychedelic rock songs

cos no matter what he does, his little meshuggah "influence adding" sounds trite and forced. the part at 6min into that clip is a straight meshuggah ripoff, right down to the djent of digital modeler tone.

Yea I have to admit I'm a little disappointed, but I haven't heard other previews of theirs, so who knows, maybe they just tossed in the worst, aka most metuhl, parts. Outside of the super melodic chorus and solo of Way Out of Here, I really just liked the little bits of psych in FOABP myself, and those seemed missing. I would have to hear the whole thing a few times and I'm sure there will be good parts, but yea this sounds like another FOABP.

no, I dont have any agenda against them. "I was born in 67, the year of sgt pepper"? are you shitting me? this is worse than the lyrics for foabp, which were pretty abysmal

wilson needs to stop trying to be metal and go back to writing either

a) good songs in the vein of stupid dream/lightbulb sun/half of in absentia/arriving somewhere not here
or b) really long psychedelic rock songs

cos no matter what he does, his little meshuggah "influence adding" sounds trite and forced. the part at 6min into that clip is a straight meshuggah ripoff, right down to the djent of digital modeler tone.

what's so wrong with a phrase like:
"I was born in 67, the year of sgt pepper"? I like it.
Some people will make a thing out of everysingle little thing,
next time you see wilson with sunglasses people will call him pretentious.

what's so wrong with a phrase like:
next time you see wilson with sunglasses people will call him pretentious.
steven.jpg

He's so pretentious! /sarcasm

:D

No but seriously, you should let him do what he want's to do and let people who like it, like it.
Why should he go back to doing something he's obviously not interested about doing again?

^Exactly. Overall the sample sounded less heavy then the last three records, even though the heavy parts that were there were heavier. Sounds like there is a lot of variation, and I enjoyed the electronic sounding parts. Listening to it again, the first heavy riff at about 15 seconds sounds a little like Opeth.

to elaborate upon my previous post because a lot of people seem to misunderstand and want to make me out as some kind of "HATA" or some bullshit:

I understand that wilson has never been the best lyricist ever. (we lost the skyline, we stepped right off the map...sometimes I feel like a fist...this is a hatesong for you...the sun is a lightbulb, a candle's a treat etc). but the lyrics on foabp, and deadwing to a degree, are just plain idiocy at it's finest. it's as if wilson couldn't find a different way to get across how a 10 year old kid feels, so he went all out child on us with gems like "xbox is a god to me", "leave no trace all my files erased burn my clothes burn my Prada trainers" and "only apathy from the pills in me, it's all in me it's all in you". I mean really, what does "its all in me its all in you" mean? And nice rhyming there with "trace" and "erased".

at least the older lyrics fit the music: he was writing psychedelic rock, trippy 15 minute songs - and the lyrics at least made sense in the grand scheme: acid-trip induced sputterings.

my biggest bone to pick is that wilson's "influences" are forced into his music. it's not as if porcupine tree was a metal band that started influencing prog/psych sections. it's quite the opposite, which is the problem to my ears. pretty much since he started working with opeth, he's been doing this pseudo-heavy shit which includes distorted drop D riffs and blatant meshuggah ripoff sections (even down to the djent sound which generally comes from digital modeling, something meshuggah uses [or used to use] to record.)

pt were a pretty decent prog/psych band, so why would I want to hear them turn into another half-assed metal band.

thanks, please come again.

to elaborate upon my previous post because a lot of people seem to misunderstand and want to make me out as some kind of "HATA" or some bullshit:

I understand that wilson has never been the best lyricist ever. (we lost the skyline, we stepped right off the map...sometimes I feel like a fist...this is a hatesong for you...the sun is a lightbulb, a candle's a treat etc). but the lyrics on foabp, and deadwing to a degree, are just plain idiocy at it's finest. it's as if wilson couldn't find a different way to get across how a 10 year old kid feels, so he went all out child on us with gems like "xbox is a god to me", "leave no trace all my files erased burn my clothes burn my Prada trainers" and "only apathy from the pills in me, it's all in me it's all in you". I mean really, what does "its all in me its all in you" mean? And nice rhyming there with "trace" and "erased".

at least the older lyrics fit the music: he was writing psychedelic rock, trippy 15 minute songs - and the lyrics at least made sense in the grand scheme: acid-trip induced sputterings.

my biggest bone to pick is that wilson's "influences" are forced into his music. it's not as if porcupine tree was a metal band that started influencing prog/psych sections. it's quite the opposite, which is the problem to my ears. pretty much since he started working with opeth, he's been doing this pseudo-heavy shit which includes distorted drop D riffs and blatant meshuggah ripoff sections (even down to the djent sound which generally comes from digital modeling, something meshuggah uses [or used to use] to record.)

pt were a pretty decent prog/psych band, so why would I want to hear them turn into another half-assed metal band.

So as I said, you seem to be pissed off that they changed, and now you have to use every opportunity to knock them down a peg, using made up BS as facts to why Steven is a tool, boo hoo.

I can't see how you can think wilsons lyrics are shallow nor pretentious, they are about reality and everything he says makes so much sense, but ofcourse people who don't experience these kinds of aspects in their lives they really can't share the same emotions about it... because what you're doing is basing facts upon you own aspect of things, on how you think things are...you're placing allegations of his writings from your own point of view without really thinking what the true mean/meaning of things are.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnXxbI5ylyw&feature=related[/ame]
Every word that he says is so completely true, you not sharing the same interest in this subject is another thing. It's become nothing but a fucking trend to hate FoaBP because everyone does.

that sample sounds atrociously bad... honestly...

i swear i just heard one of the lyrics as "i was born in '67, the same year as sgt. peppers and are you experienced"

lmao, i guess we can drop the bad lyrics argument now

Bring up one of your own lyrics and then we'll talk.
How can you be judging something written by someone else with completely different values, views, opinions, experiences, lifesights, paths, ways??
You can't judge others thoughts...the only thoughts you can judge are your own, you choose over your own life, values and what to strive for.

lol his lyrics never fit with the music thats a fact. shoving in things from modern culture has never worked in music without it sounding bullshit. no need to put stuff like, prada shoes, xbox, ipod, etc etc into music that is supposed to be taken in a non-literal way. its almost like some sort of terrible attempt at juxtaposition. absolutely horrific

Why are you guys defending Wilson from some guy who, according to his signature (it may be a little outdated but the fact remains), pretty much likes the latest IF album? :p

number one that sig is like 6 months old and I don't "like" the latest IF album, I was giving it a listen you dolt

So as I said, you seem to be pissed off that they changed, and now you have to use every opportunity to knock them down a peg, using made up BS as facts to why Steven is a tool, boo hoo.

jesus christ do you not get it, it's not that I don't like the new albums because "they changed." plenty of bands change. I enjoy all works from deathspell omega, for example, who made a drastic change from 02-04. I enjoy all works from metallica, for example, who made that ever-so-talked-about change from metal to fucking country rock. change isn't the problem.

it's the fact that it's so forced that it comes off as trite and just stupid. I mean I dont know about you but that riff that comes in around ~5:46 sounds like a straight rip-off of "dancers to a discordant system." what the fuck are you talking about.

I can't see how you can think wilsons lyrics are shallow nor pretentious, they are about reality and everything he says makes so much sense, but ofcourse people who don't experience these kinds of aspects in their lives they really can't share the same emotions about it...
I think a 10 year old kid who's drugged up on thorazine could write better lyrics about their life than wilson did. so what are you talking about "they're about reality"?

clearly wilson doesn't have any clue about a 10 year old who's drugged up cos I dont know many 10 year olds who are saying that sex is fun, I don't know any 10 year olds who even have sex - simply because at the age of 10, 99% of males (and females) aren't even developed enough to have sex.

still think it's about reality?

jesus christ some people just dont get it

Rofl, hey we all should just don't listen to the music instead of making comments about anything, because it's not like this place is for comments or music discussions.