Porcupine Tree - The Incident (2009)

no, I dont have any agenda against them. "I was born in 67, the year of sgt pepper"? are you shitting me? this is worse than the lyrics for foabp, which were pretty abysmal

wilson needs to stop trying to be metal and go back to writing either

a) good songs in the vein of stupid dream/lightbulb sun/half of in absentia/arriving somewhere not here
or b) really long psychedelic rock songs

cos no matter what he does, his little meshuggah "influence adding" sounds trite and forced. the part at 6min into that clip is a straight meshuggah ripoff, right down to the djent of digital modeler tone.
You know, there is a lot of validity to the above statements. I know some musicians who feel the same way, that Wilson is "forcing" metal into the composition. The lyrics are just flat-out ridiculous. Seems like Mr. Wilson is a pretty down to earth guy in interviews, but is all together different in the recording studio. A huge ego can do that. Maybe he's reading all the positive press about himself, and thinks as a songwriter he can do no wrong. Just sayin' man.

If you don't like the music, don't listen to it, just shut the fuck up already.

I'll probably do the same thing phil said - download it, give it a listen once to see how ridiculous this one is, and delete it. But someone blindly praising Wilson for throwing in a Meshuggah riff is kinda stupid. Those people need to, as you so eloquently put it, shut the fuck up.

I don't have anything against the man himself - in all the interviews I've seen and read, he seems pretty down to earth. But if someone can't discern the difference between "change" and "throwing in a ripoff of a Meshuggah riff from obZen" and between "good lyrics about reality" and "xbox is a god to me" then you need your ears checked.

I'll probably do the same thing phil said - download it, give it a listen once to see how ridiculous this one is, and delete it. But someone blindly praising Wilson for throwing in a Meshuggah riff is kinda stupid. Those people need to, as you so eloquently put it, shut the fuck up.

I don't have anything against the man himself - in all the interviews I've seen and read, he seems pretty down to earth. But if someone can't discern the difference between "change" and "throwing in a ripoff of a Meshuggah riff from obZen" and between "good lyrics about reality" and "xbox is a god to me" then you need your ears checked.

yeah go listen to some quality music like in flames

lol his lyrics never fit with the music thats a fact. shoving in things from modern culture has never worked in music without it sounding bullshit. no need to put stuff like, prada shoes, xbox, ipod, etc etc into music that is supposed to be taken in a non-literal way. its almost like some sort of terrible attempt at juxtaposition. absolutely horrific

You not liking his straight forward style to write doesn't make it a fucking fact you idiot.

lol how many times is this "omg u once listened to in flames" shit going to be used as an excuse for stupidity.

Some of Wilson's lyrics are pretty bad, but overall it doesn't really bother me or ruin the song. I don't listen to PT songs lyric by lyric, since most of the songs don't speak to me, but I do like a lot of their music. PT is one of those bands where the lyrics are not as important to me.

YES! A 55 minute song!

YES! It sounds like Fear Of A Blank Blanet!

YES! It has Meshuggah elements!

YES! It will have lyrics that aren't the greatest, but that definitly works in the context and fits the melodies and are good to sing along to!

YES! I don't find anything bad about this album at all!

YES! I do like In Flames! (awaits shitstorm ov doom)

Steven has plenty of awesome lyrics, everything on stupid dream, lightbulb sun and IA.
But I hated every minute
I was waiting for your email
And each day that you forgot to call
Just made me feel so low
So low

Christmas 1998
I tried to call
I just couldn't wait
And your message was out of date
So I left my voice on your machine
But you did not respond
OK OK OK you've won