Porcupine Tree - The Incident (2009)

"The centre-piece is the title track, which takes up the whole of the first disc. The 55-minute work is described as "a slightly surreal song cycle about beginnings and endings and the sense that 'after this, things will never be the same again'."

The self-produced album is completed by four standalone compositions that developed out of band writing sessions last December - Flicker, Bonnie The Cat, Black Dahlia, and Remember Me Lover feature on a separate EP length disc to stress their independence from the song cycle."

This gave me the impression that the four tracks are the four parts of the previously mentioned 55 milnute song cycle, but are split in four on another CD to make it more accessible or w/e.

I'm psyched!! I don't care about pretentiousness or pompousness, or any of that bullshit. If it's good music, that's what counts!

...and I don't even know what's meant by "pseudo-metal". In Absentia and Deadwing are virtually flawless. IMO, of course.:saint:

Complicated metaphorical jigsaw lyrics give nothing to me personally, but i'm not saying you shouldn't like lyrics like that either, because i have some distance to myself, i don't tell people what to like and what not to...There are no facts in art, and there is no way you SHOULD do to create something good, that book would have sold billions otherwise.

That. The rest of the opinions are just a big pile of hot steaming bullshit, including this one of mine....:kickass:

ithinkmakingonedisk55minuteslongislikenotusinganykindofpunctuationorspaceswhenwritinhsomethingitsreallyshowingdisregardtowardstheaudiencehowaboutlisteningagaintothepartsthatilikemorethanothersshouldifastforwardalotorbacktrackforacoupleofminutesandrememberthetimestampsordoesstevenwantsmetothinkthathewrotethewholealbuminonesittingwithonestateofmindandthatsitsnotcomprisedofdifferentsegments?

I'm inclined to agree with Guitar-Non-Player on this one too. I appreciate the idea behind a 55-minute song cycle, and I'm looking forward to seeing what P Tree has done with the it, but it will be a lot to take in at once, and finding your favorite parts will probably be a hassle. maybe it'll be broken up similar to Meshuggah's Catch 33...

yeah, im going to download it, hear it once, decide that it's shit, and then skip over it every time it accidentally plays just like the other newer PT albums

yeah, im going to download it, hear it once, decide that it's shit, and then skip over it every time it accidentally plays just like the other newer PT albums

That's a pointless waste of time. Why bother hearing it at all if you know you won't like it? Just so you can ridicule it for the 'benefit' of all the people who do like it?

no. i like the old porcupine tree material enough to listen to the new albums, if only once, just for that slight chance that steven wilson decided to write something good again. but im inclined to believe that just like everything after IA, with the exception of a couple of tracks, it will be a boring pretentia fest

It needs to leak so I can listen to it a shitload and let it sink in before I'm worrying about school.

no. i like the old porcupine tree material enough to listen to the new albums, if only once, just for that slight chance that steven wilson decided to write something good again. but im inclined to believe that just like everything after IA, with the exception of a couple of tracks, it will be a boring pretentia fest

thats a stupid opinion in my opinion.