Power Metal is not gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then maybe the other guitarist is the gay one. Have you seen the picture of them advertising some strings or some shit in Guitar World? The guy jumping the air is striking a pretty gay pose, and he even has one of those Hot Topic studded belts, lol.

He must really be doing a good job of hiding the fact that he's had a girlfriend for the past 8 years.

What? Therion aren't Power Metal...

edit: And just because something's been around for a while does'nt make it bad. Death vocals have been around since the 80's too remember. Hell, metal itself was conceived in the 80s. And singing...well.....that's about as old as the human race itself. Your argument isn't very strong.

And "clean high vocals" that you're referring to, is it falsettos you're talking about?

Arguement? No arguement, I just hate power metal vocals. You can't argue with an opinion.

Ok yes, Therion isn't powermetal, my mistake.

The vocals I'm referring to are power metal vocals ala Sonata Arctica.

Man Sonata Arctica music fucking owns, but damn the vocals >.<

I like Power Metal, but I also listen to some Death/Black Metal stuff. As far as stereotypes go, here's the deal. Number One, People say Power Metal vocals suck. Well, I don't think so, since I am comfortable with ANY kind of vocals, clean, high, growling, screeching, etc. To a Black Metal fan, Screeching vocals are the way to go,(although some BM bands use clean vocals too) but a Power Metal fan thinks its just noise, which isn't true. They are both good and suit their respective genres.

Number Two, the myth that Power Metal is Dungeons and Dragons stuff. No, although bands like Rhapsody use those themes, you have bands like Iced Earth, Gamma Ray, Edguy, Sonata Arctica, Grave Digger who don't use it. Neither do Prog Power bands like Symphony X, Angra, Kamelot, Evergrey. Its like generalizing that Black metal and Death Metal are all about Satan and Corpses, which isn't true either. Face it, every genre has a stereotype and only those who listen to everything know it.

Besides, even if the bands do sing about warriors and dragons, what's the matter? Its just lyrics. If I listen to Burzum, that doesn't mean I agree with Varg's philosophies, similarly, I find Rhapsody a very good Neoclassical/Power Metal band, yet I don't fantasize putting on warrior makeup and slaying dragons.

Number Three, All Power Metal bands sound the same. Nope, there is Thrashy Power Metal, Speed/Power Metal, Heavy/Traditional Power metal, Symphonic Power Metal, Progressive Power Metal, and some maverick bands like Nevermore and Children of Bodom use Power Metal elements as well. Power Metal, just like any other genre of Metal, has several subgenres.

Number Four, Dragonforce is NOT the typical Power Metal band. They are generic and shitty, and give Power Metal a bad name. Finis.

I am a fan of Metal in general, although PM is my favorite genre. So yeah.

Number Two, the myth that Power Metal is Dungeons and Dragons stuff. No, although bands like Rhapsody use those themes, you have bands like Iced Earth, Gamma Ray, Edguy, Sonata Arctica, Grave Digger who don't use it. Neither do Prog Power bands like Symphony X, Angra, Kamelot, Evergrey. Its like generalizing that Black metal and Death Metal are all about Satan and Corpses, which isn't true either. Face it, every genre has a stereotype and only those who listen to everything know it.

Besides, even if the bands do sing about warriors and dragons, what's the matter? Its just lyrics. If I listen to Burzum, that doesn't mean I agree with Varg's philosophies, similarly, I find Rhapsody a very good Neoclassical/Power Metal band, yet I don't fantasize putting on warrior makeup and slaying dragons.

I never understood the image of power metal as a "nerdy" genre

black metal fans (that I have seen) are 10000000000000000000000x bigger nerds than power metal fans

Ill start by saying that this narrow-minded douchebag behind the counter at my local discount record store is a power-metal poopdicker.HAS TO comment on everything i buy and when you ask him advice he just says buy some stratovarius or sonata arctica.He told one of my buddies "DOKKEN OWNS YOU".LMAO
Everytime im in there he has some of this dungeons & dragon wanker ass hi-pitched music on that i would like to call...POWER METAL

I like Power Metal, but I also listen to some Death/Black Metal stuff. As far as stereotypes go, here's the deal. Number One, People say Power Metal vocals suck. Well, I don't think so, since I am comfortable with ANY kind of vocals, clean, high, growling, screeching, etc. To a Black Metal fan, Screeching vocals are the way to go,(although some BM bands use clean vocals too) but a Power Metal fan thinks its just noise, which isn't true. They are both good and suit their respective genres.

Number Three, All Power Metal bands sound the same. Nope, there is Thrashy Power Metal, Speed/Power Metal, Heavy/Traditional Power metal, Symphonic Power Metal, Progressive Power Metal, and some maverick bands like Nevermore and Children of Bodom use Power Metal elements as well. Power Metal, just like any other genre of Metal, has several subgenres.

Number Four, Dragonforce is NOT the typical Power Metal band. They are generic and shitty, and give Power Metal a bad name. Finis.

I am a fan of Metal in general, although PM is my favorite genre. So yeah.

Excellent post. +1 imaginary rep.

Men who sit to pee.... That's just about the biggest turn off ever.

not to mention demasculinizing (im pretty sure i just made that up). even if your piss ass drunk and have no aim, you gotta try anyways. siting means youve given up!
~gR~

Status
Not open for further replies.