Recent influx of new opeth fans

Nuk3m said:
I went to a gig recently, one of those locals band ones plus a few inter-staters and one american band, but to the point ALOT of people where wearing Opeth tops, mainly the aus tour ones and deliverence hoodies, i was glad that i was wearing an emperor shirt because i didnt want to go into the same catagory as the n00bie Opeth fans who think life started at Blackwater Park, dont get me wrong not bad album but there is a leacy b4 that.
I love this logic. Did you know that t-shirts from any Opeth album are widely available through the internet?

That means somebody who has never heard of Opeth until they bought Damnation yesterday could get online and buy an Orchid shirt, making them not a "fanboy" in your eyes apparently, because liking anything past Morningrise obviously means you're a dork.

I love these types of threads, because the people who try to pretend like they are so cool about not being a "fanboy" always blow it. Yer a geek, just like the rest of us. Admit it, and move on. :wave:

People that worry about not being a "fanboy" = fanboys

Demon of the Fall said:
If their music didn't move me, I wouldn't like them as much as I do now. It's kinda irritating. Now I've come to a point that when music doesn't move me, I'm not able to enjoy it that much... And it's hard to find music that moves you :erk:

Eh, the point of music is to move, isn't it ?

I think the "fanboy" battles are funny. its a rediculous word in the first place. like mr. niel said, there is a geek in all of us...it is geeky for all of us to sit here and talk about this shit in the first place. and for those that make fun of fanboys, what the fuck would you be talking about if you weren't making fun of fanboys? there is only so much opeth we can talk about, especially right now. the way i see it, its all in good fun....every single harsh word, slam, or spam.... if every member on this forum all attended an opeth concert together, there wouldn't be a single glare or a cold shoulder....because we all have one thing in common....we love music, and none of us really have any real good reason at all to dislike anyone.

Mr. Niel said:
I love this logic. Did you know that t-shirts from any Opeth album are widely available through the internet?

That means somebody who has never heard of Opeth until they bought Damnation yesterday could get online and buy an Orchid shirt, making them not a "fanboy" in your eyes apparently, because liking anything past Morningrise obviously means you're a dork.

I love these types of threads, because the people who try to pretend like they are so cool about not being a "fanboy" always blow it. Yer a geek, just like the rest of us. Admit it, and move on. :wave:

People that worry about not being a "fanboy" = fanboys

Actually I like all the albums but learn more towards SL, MAYH, and yes morningrise and orchid.

My point in my previous post was to say that Opeth fans were everywhere and the mentality that usually comes with them ( " Shut Up ! Op3th 4|23 teh best band evar!!" ) is causing annoyance in the metal community and with that i dont have this mentality and narrowminded ness AND further more i dislike the people who state that opeth are the best and all that and say all this shit about having complex music and its the best but then like the simpler albums like damnation and deliverance.

When did i state that i wasnt a geek?? lol

Nuk3m said:
Actually I like all the albums but learn more towards SL, MAYH, and yes morningrise and orchid.

My point in my previous post was to say that Opeth fans were everywhere and the mentality that usually comes with them ( " Shut Up ! Op3th 4|23 teh best band evar!!" ) is causing annoyance in the metal community and with that i dont have this mentality and narrowminded ness AND further more i dislike the people who state that opeth are the best and all that and say all this shit about having complex music and its the best but then like the simpler albums like damnation and deliverance.

When did i state that i wasnt a geek?? lol
Dood, c'mon, how are you going to act like you are so much better than these people when:

1) Your avatar displays an obscure reference to Opeth's DVD that only a "fanboy" would refer to

2) You are saying you are not being "narrowminded" by disliking "fanboys," which is pretty much being...narrowminded.

3) By wearing an Emperor T-shirt at a grindcore fest, you are better than people wearing Opeth shirts? That makes zero sense since "tr00 N3kR0s" all agree that Emperor stopped being cool after their second record, much like Opeth's "non-fanboys" think the same thing after their second record.

And you are also pretty much contradicting yerself by saying you like all the albums yet condemn people for liking the "simpler" new (your opinion) albums better than the older ones. Why would that matter, and how can you tell that by what shirt they were wearing? So it seems all this was assumed by the fact that many of these people were wearing Deliverance T-shirts....

So, what you are were implying is that you felt like you needed to impress your internet friends so they wouldn't think you are a fanboy by wearing an Emperor t-shirt to a grindcore concert? How is this not in itself acting like a "fanboy?"

Okay. Let's put this into a whole new perspective now:

Why in the fuck would you care about and assume all these inane details? The last time I checked, you were supposed to go to a concert to enjoy music, not worry about what clothes people are wearing!

Why can't you just be secure in the fact that you don't like what other people like and and that goes for other people as well? Why must you ridicule others for being goofy and silly and having fun when bitching at them is just as irritating and divisive as acting like a "fanboy"?

Repeat to yourself:

It's all about the music. It's all about the music.

Mr. Niel said:
Dood, c'mon, how are you going to act like you are so much better than these people when:

1) Your avatar displays an obscure reference to Opeth's DVD that only a "fanboy" would refer to

2) You are saying you are not being "narrowminded" by disliking "fanboys," which is pretty much being...narrowminded.

3) By wearing an Emperor T-shirt at a grindcore fest, you are better than people wearing Opeth shirts? That makes zero sense since "tr00 N3kR0s" all agree that Emperor stopped being cool after their second record, much like Opeth's "non-fanboys" think the same thing after their second record.

And you are also pretty much contradicting yerself by saying you like all the albums yet condemn people for liking the "simpler" new (your opinion) albums better than the older ones. Why would that matter, and how can you tell that by what shirt they were wearing? So it seems all this was assumed by the fact that many of these people were wearing Deliverance T-shirts....

So, what you are were implying is that you felt like you needed to impress your internet friends so they wouldn't think you are a fanboy by wearing an Emperor t-shirt to a grindcore concert? How is this not in itself acting like a "fanboy?"

Okay. Let's put this into a whole new perspective now:

Why in the fuck would you care about and assume all these inane details? The last time I checked, you were supposed to go to a concert to enjoy music, not worry about what clothes people are wearing!

Why can't you just be secure in the fact that you don't like what other people like and and that goes for other people as well? Why must you ridicule others for being goofy and silly and having fun when bitching at them is just as irritating and divisive as acting like a "fanboy"?

Repeat to yourself:

It's all about the music. It's all about the music.

Ok enough now your just asuming by saying that i ridecule people for being silly and so forth.

I never called anyone a fan boy and it seems you the only one fucking labeling people with shit. I really dont see the point of your arguing this.

Sorry forgot to put in, in regards to the avitar, its a picture of me with mendez with a sign i took to a gig, the band absolutly loved the sign and so did i, so if some guy trying to label me is going to complain about it feel free.

Heh.

<3 Jester.

I got into Opeth from Blackwater Park. I have bought all of their CDs and loved them all. They're definitly one of my favourite bands, but I don't have the "OMG THEY'RE THE BEST LOLZ! BETTER THEN ALL THE REST!" mentality.

Nice. I managed to "L337ify" a Tina Turner song for my first post in an Opeth forum. :D

Nuk3m said:
I really dont see the point of your arguing this.
YOU are condemning fanboys when YOU are indeed...

A FANBOY.

Does that make sense to you? The irony was just begging me to reply about it. It seems to be going over your head though. Keep in mind this is not a judgement, just an observation.

Nuk3m said:
I never called anyone a fan boy and it seems you the only one fucking labeling people with shit.

Nuk3m said:
i was glad that i was wearing an emperor shirt because i didnt want to go into the same catagory as the n00bie Opeth fans who think life started at Blackwater Park

As usual, it seems that Niel is the only one making sense in the discussion.

He's making sense, but there shouldn't even be an argument. Think about what you're arguing about :erk:

Always read the main Opeth page for the past few years... but never signed up for forums until today, mainly cause I was too lazy.

I've been an Opeth fan since My Arms, Your Hearse (bought it when it came out, due to an online buddy of mine that suggested them) -- within the month I believe I had ordered Morningrise and Orchid. They were the first "Death metal" I'd ever heard in my life... but now I can't get enough of this stuff.

Opeth opened the door for me into the "darker" side of music

Thanks for making some sense, Mr. Niel. I should also add...it's pretty ridiculous to fault people just for liking Deliverance/Damnation or for being at an earlier stage in their journey into Opeth's music. Didn't we all start somewhere? And does it really matter if someone starts at a different place than another? I will be totally honest--one of the reasons I think so highly of Damnation is because it's more the kind of music I've been accustomed to listening to for most of my life...and in my opinion it is done extremely well. I really think that people have no right to criticize others for what they do or don't like. I can see why Damnation might not fly with some of the people who aren't normally into that style, but to tell people, whose musical backgrounds may be entirely different than theirs, that there's something wrong with them for enjoying one aspect or another of a band's music really is ridiculous. Incidentally, my other favorite, and possibly all-time favorite is MAYH, but there is no way I will ever give up my enjoyment of Damnation.