Romeo or Petrucci?

I am sooo sorry I posted this thread. Romeo and Petrucci are entirely different, so I can't compare. But they are both my favorite guitar players. I have only seen Petrucci live, so, again I can't really compare. I am a new member to this forum, and I'm sorry if I pissed anyone off. I just thought I'd post my thoughts on an argument that I have with my only 2 or 3 true metal-heads. I didn't realize that this had been brought up before.

Originally posted by BastrdDrmr
how can you possibly associate Dream Theater with metal when you don't associate Symphony X with metal? Symphony X consistently has heavy riffs in just about every song.

have you seen the DT DVD? he completely misses the sweeps during the Fatal Tragedy solo... and no... that wasn't a one time thing...
ok well I do associate Symphony X with metal...And yes I have seen the DVD where he misses the sweep...but live in Toronto at the Docks he did it perfectly...So maybe Romeo does have Petrucci's number in the sweeping area and the tapping area. But every guitarist has their faults, I'm just not sure what Romeo's is...If he has any.....

Originally posted by ShredManWalking
I am sooo sorry I posted this thread. Romeo and Petrucci are entirely different, so I can't compare. But they are both my favorite guitar players. I have only seen Petrucci live, so, again I can't really compare. I am a new member to this forum, and I'm sorry if I pissed anyone off. I just thought I'd post my thoughts on an argument that I have with my only 2 or 3 true metal-heads. I didn't realize that this had been brought up before.

Hey don't worry :) I can't see why anyone would get pissed at this pool anyway, this is the first time anyone has done a poll (MJR vs JP) on this forum (that I can remember :lol: ) besides I like this kind of polls better than the crap that some people post on other boards :D

Guitar players of Korn? Better than Romeo and Petrucci?!
*Snicker*
Better at sounding like crap

You got that right :lol:

I think that Romeo can play any Dream Theater song on his guitar, and Petrucci can play any Symphony X song on his guitar.
They are both fantastic guitar players, there are many great guitar players in the world, but many of them just don't want to show their whole potencial, I'm glad that Petrucci and Romeo are not that kind of musicians, they're both doing their job the best they can.

Personaly, my favourite guitar players are Becker and Gilbert

Originally posted by Asmodeus
I think that Romeo can play any Dream Theater song on his guitar, and Petrucci can play any Symphony X song on his guitar.
They are both fantastic guitar players, there are many great guitar players in the world, but many of them just don't want to show their whole potencial, I'm glad that Petrucci and Romeo are not that kind of musicians, they're both doing their job the best they can.

Personaly, my favourite guitar players are Becker and Gilbert

Ehm, Im gonna dissagree with you there. I certainly dont think Petrucci can play any SyX song, a lot of the techniques ROmeo does the most Petrucci doesnt have that well of a grasp on (sweeping, tapping, legato). On the other hand, its possible Romeo could play a lot of DT stuff but at the same time, Ive never really heard him do some of the longer alt picking runs, such as the ending of Erotomania, so I cant say how Romeo could hold up doing that, though Im sure he could get it.

Both guys are VERY different. Romeo is more of the super shredhead metal kind of guitarist while Petrucci is more like a Vai or Morse.

Originally posted by Draconian Demon
Romeo by a longshot...I personally think DT is overrated. I do not feel emotion in their music. One big technical mass. No emotion.

Well I can accept that someone doesn't like DT....but for someone to say DT has no emotion must not know what it is...or have lost the sense inside themselves.

I think they are both phenomal players, but Petrucci definitely gets my vote. He's just done a whole lot more on Dream Theater albums than Romeo ever has. Petrucci has played just about every style and shown than he can do it well, while Michael Romeo, up until The Odyssey, seemed to be in a creative straightjacket. Romeo's style in general just gets a little too chaotic and unnecessary a lot of the time, and to be honest he's recorded some not-so-great solos. Riff wise Petrucci also has a lot more variety, while with Symphony X you pretty much know what to expect riff-wise. So my vote goes to Petrucci, although I still havent heard him write anything like "The Odyssey", so Romeo is definitely a better composer. That song is godly.

Hey Yngvai X !

I agree with some things, but don't get me wrong, what I was trying to say is that they're both musicians with schools and probably they all played all possible styles, but music which they're making today is what they personally like the best, that's just my personal opinion :)

Man, I love that chaotic style that MJR has.

To me its like this: everything Petrucci plays makes perfect sense, musically, in every way. Eventually, this becomes a limiting factor.

Romeo on the other hand, will kick down the doors of music theory and go off, like the solo in King of Terrors, he reminds me of Jason Becker and Cacophony somewhat, but more daring. He will push the envelope further, and he does it at the right time, which makes him a fantastic musician and creative force.

Originally posted by Yngvai X
WELL you know I think that the shreditude of the player is equally proportionate to the poofitude of the hair so the answer is obviously Vinnie Moore circa 1986

LOL!
That hair still gives me nightmares since I saw his Advanced Lead Guitar Techniques video... :lol:

m2460202-9759.jpg

m2460208-3077.jpg

Originally posted by the_satanic_rabbit
To me its like this: everything Petrucci plays makes perfect sense, musically, in every way. Eventually, this becomes a limiting factor.

No...see a lot of things that Petrucci does are very wild....Beyond This Life solo.....And anything from LTE...actually I think MJR would have trouble with LTE stuff..particularly the whammy bar tricks in Acid Rain that I never hear MJR do at all.

Originally posted by mark_bwaite
No...see a lot of things that Petrucci does are very wild....Beyond This Life solo.....And anything from LTE...actually I think MJR would have trouble with LTE stuff..particularly the whammy bar tricks in Acid Rain that I never hear MJR do at all.

Actually thats not that hard, those are done with a whammy pedal, which Romeo doesnt use...hence why you've never heard him do that. As far as Romeos ability with the bar...I think he uses it very expressively, though a guy like Vai probably has the most control over that than anyone I can think of.

Well I can accept that someone doesn't like DT....but for someone to say DT has no emotion must not know what it is...or have lost the sense inside themselves.

Agreed on that. Listen to "Learning to Live", "Scarred" or "Lifting Shadows off a Dream", or even better, the "Goodnight kiss" solo and tell me you don't find any emotion in that. Most of the people who say that have just not heard enough of DT to judge properly. They're IMHO the only band on the same plane as SymX, but it seems it has become the trend lately to bash them as they're becoming quite popular and their latest album was mediocre.

Back to the issue at hand. It's a tight match. I agree with the comment regarding that they can both play anything off each others recordings: that we haven't seen them do certain techniques doesn't mean they can't or that they couldn't nail them down with little practice. Petrucci can sweep very nicely, listen to the "Fatal Tragedy" solo. Listen to some of his improvised solos for some nice tapping too and don't tell me doesn't have a good legato technique. I'm also sure Romeo could play "Erotomania". Both are excellent technical players; about that I don't think anyone can disagree. What I think Petrucci does better is creating variety; Romeo is definitely "the riffmaster", but he does stick too much to the same style for my tastes, while Petrucci has explored more ground throughout the DT discography. I don't think I can say one > other. Hard question to ask.

My 2 cents. Cheers.