Should metal bands have samplists?

St. Onan

Onanist
Nov 26, 2007
www.corrupt.org
I saw that CRYPTOPSY now have a keyboardist/samplist added to their lineup. Why bother being metal at all? It seems to me that metal is about finding beauty in heavy sound, not tweaking heavy sound until it's a rock-rap hybrid.

Samples and keyboards can be used for a huge range of sounds. Just because a band happens to use either or both doesn't mean they're going to turn into a rock/rap band.

A samplist brings to mind Slipknot etc, but, If Cryptopsy used it...

Was he a samplist or a keyboardist?or a combination. I could see them needing that for alot of there intros mind you

I dont understand what samples and rap have to do with each other, a sample could be in any kind of music.

But honestly, if it adds to the show, who cares? Im sure they wouldnt have added a samplist if it made them sound anything other then better.

For the most part, artists who are playing large sold out venues have been playing for along time and know exactly what they want to sound like.

Samples can greatly enhance some bands, for example Dripping, but I think that is the exception not the rule

Why would any band be held to rules on how they present them selfs live?

But yes, many bands Im sure could find a way to screw it up. Most of the time I find the keyboards/samples in live shows are not mixed properly and are under or over powered.

My concept of a keyboardist/samplist tends to be a half-assed keyboard job that's only there to make things easier when playing live. Now if they said just keyboardist, I'm more likely to think they might be going somewhere by giving more serious focus to the keys and how they harmonize with the music, whether for effective enhancement or playing a full-time role.

Alright I reopened this due to a plea from a forum member, but it's full of ignorance. Please educate yourselves on the situation of samplers and sequencers used in metal music (live and/or on recording) before posting here to avoid sounding retarded.

I think you miss the point: Mertal is about heaviness and enjoying them, but adding a keyboardist/sampler doesnt even bring them towards rap. You can smaple heavy music. Symphonic sounds played ona keyboard go especially well with Black Metal.
Look at cradle of filth and Rob Zombie.

I think you miss the point: Mertal is about heaviness and enjoying them, but adding a keyboardist/sampler doesnt even bring them towards rap. You can smaple heavy music. Symphonic sounds played ona keyboard go especially well with Black Metal.
Look at cradle of filth and Rob Zombie.

I dont think Cradle Of Filth or Rob Zombie use keyboards in a very interesting way.

Keyboardists are perfectly fine. It's even cool when Keyboardists are in Death Metal bands & can really add to the sound if done right.

Samples are fine to be used in place on an album ONCE IN AWHILE or if it's not done overly cheesey, but to have a dedicated samplist on alive shows is probably not cool.

I don't know why Cryptopsy needs a samplist. They've had a couple of samples on their albums but nothing too crazy or out of place.

Agalloch have proven how to effectively use samples - especially in The Hawthrone Passage, but MOSTLY in Tomorrow Will Never Come.

I wish more bands would embrace electronic music and incorporate it into their music. Too often it's done really badly. There's song on the new Dillinger cd called "When Acting As A Wave" that utilizes electronics extremely well.