Should metal bands have samplists?

I wish more bands would embrace electronic music and incorporate it into their music. Too often it's done really badly. There's song on the new Dillinger cd called "When Acting As A Wave" that utilizes electronics extremely well.

Agreed. I see such a potential for this especially in black metal. There aren't enough bands out there like Aborym who incorporate electronic music into the remarkably malleable black metal framework.

St. Onan said:
I saw that CRYPTOPSY now have a keyboardist/samplist added to their lineup. Why bother being metal at all? It seems to me that metal is about finding beauty in heavy sound, not tweaking heavy sound until it's a rock-rap hybrid.
What a close-minded view. A lot of metal bands have samplists. I don't see how having one automatically makes Cryptopsy "not metal".

Zephyrous said:
My concept of a keyboardist/samplist tends to be a half-assed keyboard job that's only there to make things easier when playing live. Now if they said just keyboardist, I'm more likely to think they might be going somewhere by giving more serious focus to the keys and how they harmonize with the music, whether for effective enhancement or playing a full-time role.

Without a samplist, bands like Rammstein wouldn't be able to play live (well, not without having 3 or 4 keyboardists). It would be humanly impossible.

As far as Cryptopsy goes, I believe Flo used to do most of the samples with an electronic drum pad he had by his set. I know thats how they do the "sucking in air noise" in We Bleed (right very near the end of the song) b/c you can see him hit the pad on the live video. Perhaps it just got to be too much for him to have to concentrate on besides drumming at a live show?

Alright I reopened this due to a plea from a forum member, but it's full of ignorance. Please educate yourselves on the situation of samplers and sequencers used in metal music (live and/or on recording) before posting here to avoid sounding retarded.

Good, I was about to send you a message telling you how ridiculous it was to close the thread for your opinion.

Anyway, I think anything can happen in metal. That's what makes it so great; there's so much room for experimentation. I would have despised sampling but I heard a little album called Endtroducing and it totally changed my outlook on the subject. DJ Shadow made what is quite possibly the only pseudo-metal song with only samples and his drum machine. It's quite incredible really. It's called Stem/Long Stem/Transmission 2. It's atmosphere is on par with Black Metal.

So all in all, if used tastefully and innovatively I think there could be a spot in metal for a samplist, albeit a small spot. I have faith in Cryptopsy though.

I seriously recommend you guys check out the song:
DJ Shadow - Stem/Long Stem/Transmission 2

I really think you will enjoy (particularly Black Metal fans?).

There is a band now called Ted Maul from the UK who are like death metal/deathcore crossed with breakcore, it's pretty fucking phenomenal.

I should be checking that Shadow song soon.

I enjoy well-done samples in metal. A few albums in which I enjoy the samples are:

Adversary - The Winter's Harvest (This death metal album has a VERY effective atmosphere of gloom and despair and everyone should hear it. GO!)

Inner Thought - Perspectives and Worldly Separation

Skinless - Forshadowing (most of em)

I'll check out that Adversary album soon...I have to think of some good sample uses in death metal...I know there are plenty. The one that immediately comes to mind is Sickening Horror - When Landscapes Bled Backwards.