Tech metal bands

Death (Newer era, Human to TSOP)
Atheist
Pestilence (Testimony Of The Ancients and onwards)
Spastic Ink (this is instrumental music, though)
Candiria (they are a mix of NY hardcore, rap, jazz and some other genres)
Ephel Duath

Oh and if you're into more intense death metal check out:

Cryptopsy
Decapitated
Origin

well, I dont think you can get much more technical than bands like Adagio and Luca Turilli, and everything Arjen Anthony Lucassen did is pritty damn sweet too...., BTW just picked up Prophet of the last Eclipse by Luca, all I can say is OMFG hes amazing..I never really cared for Spastic..

RobbM said:
well, I dont think you can get much more technical than bands like Adagio and Luca Turilli, and everything Arjen Anthony Lucassen did is pritty damn sweet too...., BTW just picked up Prophet of the last Eclipse by Luca, all I can say is OMFG hes amazing..I never really cared for Spastic..

Ahh! You like Luca Turilli ... you're a killer dude then! :worship:

I don't know any other Technical Metal groups than the ones already listed although Origin and Zero Hero are definitely worth checking out.

Ultimate Symphony gave a pretty good list. Atheist is crucial. Check out Gordian Knot too. If you're looking for something a bit jazzier try the albums Frank Gambale, Stu Hamm, and Steve Smith did together. If you want something more intense, check out Necrophagist, Decapitated, Spawn of Possession, Monstrosity, and Dying Fetus.

Though I hesitate to call them "tech-metal" (because that usually conjures up thoughts of Watchtower and Spiral Architect), Into Eternity may fulfill your desire for extremely technical metal. Check out their new album, "Buried In Oblivion", which is absolutely stunning. It's very musical too.

Sieges Even is a fantastic band that is popular in tech-metal circles, though most of their material is not very metallic. Their first (and worst) album, "Life Cycle", may get your heart pumping if you can't get enough Watchtower. But I would suggest later material, especially their masterwork: 1991's "A Sense of Change". This album is far from metal... it's extremely technical and extremely musical prog-rock. It's very warm and lush.

OfSinsAndShred said:
I've only heard some of Luca's stuff, so I don't know how technical it is, but I can tell you it's awesome, if that counts for anything.

you should pick up Prophet of the Last Eclipse then. He uses no less that 4 different choirs and a Icelantic Opera singer, just to start to give you a idea on Complexity..