THE band recommendations thread. THE.

BIATCH!!! Get maudlin of the Well's three cd's NOW!! It is essential that you do this!!! They play self-described "astral metal." Lots of jazz parts, acoustics, ambientness, just super mad crazy-prettiness with saxophones, violins, trumpets, etc. which are fucking awesome, plus traditional metal instruments. Also check Agoraphobic Nosebleed. Mad crazy grind action with INSANE drum programming.

Manditory, they're from Texas but don't let it throw you off, they aren't country-western sludge metal!!

This is what new Metallica should sound like dammit, check their website to hear some songs.

Manditory

The Sound Gardener said:
BIATCH!!! Get maudlin of the Well's three cd's NOW!! It is essential that you do this!!! They play self-described "astral metal." Lots of jazz parts, acoustics, ambientness, just super mad crazy-prettiness with saxophones, violins, trumpets, etc. which are fucking awesome, plus traditional metal instruments. Also check Agoraphobic Nosebleed. Mad crazy grind action with INSANE drum programming.
Judging from that description Maudlin of the Well can lick my sack, and so can any band that doesn't have the decency to get a real drummer.

TrevJ said:
Wow, this stuff is great. Good thing you recommended it. :)
:)

Other unique and totally radical bands!:

Arcturus
Trikster G is the sheet!
Recomended: La Masquerade Infernale

Solefald
Dark, Atmospheric, Left-field, Red Music with black tinges
Recomended: The Linear Scaffold

Cynic
Brutal Death turned prog. Textures :loco:
Recomended: Focus (they only have one Full length :erk: )

Finntroll
Some say its folky polka metal, I say its awesome
Recomended: Jaktens Tid

ERrrr Maudlin of the Well is a lot like Godspeed You Black Emperor; They are both entirely about atmosphere. They are both meant for listening on headphones and not the car stereo.

However Maudlin of the Well has the most annoying vocalist I have ever heard (even worse than Dream Theatre's castrated man-girl vocals). The music is fantastic but the vocals just ruin it for me. I have yet to hear annoying vocals from Godspeed You Black Emperor and therefore I can enjoy the mood and atmosphere so much more :).

Some porcupine tree is similar in a lot of ways too..

Eno_Mun said:
ERrrr Maudlin of the Well is a lot like Godspeed You Black Emperor; They are both entirely about atmosphere. They are both meant for listening on headphones and not the car stereo.

However Maudlin of the Well has the most annoying vocalist I have ever heard (even worse than Dream Theatre's castrated man-girl vocals). The music is fantastic but the vocals just ruin it for me. I have yet to hear annoying vocals from Godspeed You Black Emperor and therefore I can enjoy the mood and atmosphere so much more :).

I'm guessing that you haven't listened to Isis yet. By far the worst vocalist that I have in my collection!

Eno_Mun said:
However Maudlin of the Well has the most annoying vocalist I have ever heard (even worse than Dream Theatre's castrated man-girl vocals

I disagree. I'm new to Maudlin (just received Leaving Your Body Map), but I like his singing. It's so fruity :p.

Eno_Mun said:

Personally I love the vocals, especially the dual vocals they have going with the guy and the girl, like in the song "Girl With A Watering Can".

Supermoi said:
DarknessEternal: Shut up, let people make the threads they want and if you aren't happy with it, stay away.

shut up you idiot, he's my friend, we're having a laugh

I forgot to mention OSI!

www.osiband.com

Prog/Industrial music

The band consists of...
Kevin Moore - x-Dream Theater, Chroma Key
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater
Jim Matheos - Fates Warning
Sean Malone - Gordian Knot

and Steven Wilson sings one of the tracks.

thanks to Lion in a Cage for the Litham reccomendation, i listened to the samples at the page and they sound really good. any ideas on where to get the cd besides mailorder?

I totally felt in love with DREDG and their album El Cielo... It's more pop/rock than metal, but I was really amazed by all these great songs... Please check it out !!

Dredg is amazing! El Cielos lyrics blew me away. They take on a project with the eyes of visionaries. I was so eager to get my hands on El Cielo, wondering to myself if it was musically possible to improve after Leitmotif. They surpassed all of my expectations. Listening to their music is almost like living in a parallell universe of what things should be like.

All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood,
In a modest town where honest people dwell.
Making the cleanest energy,
For the cleanest plants to grow,

In the richest soil that is drenched,
With the freshest rain,

Then you should sit in your backyard,
Watch clouds peak over the tallest mountain tops,
Because they unveil honest opinions about the stars.

All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood

When I read the above lyric excerpt, I got a sudden, nearly overwhelming urge to cry. I have to force the tears back down. That passage is so achingly beautiful...a sort of nostalgia-in- reverse: that description is a crystal clear vision of how things should be by now, as the 21st century dawns.
~It stabs me right through the heart~

On a brighter note, I'd recommend Deadboy and the Elephant Men. Dax Riggs is the man! Such a vivid singer/songwriter. I plan on going to Lousiana (he only plays there!), sitting in some dirty bar, and enjoying Deadboy with a cold beer in my hand some day in the near future. :)