Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Most of it is

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Most of it isn't

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
Darkthrone is probably the best example of the poor production aesthetic because they're literally went backwards from what they achieved with Soulside Journey. Before that I can't think of a single example where poor production was intentional rather than just a product of mere circumstance.

To be fair, Mayhem had those "Kill Scott Burns!" etc messages on their albums. Though DMDS is still far better produced than a lot of lo-fi shit.

Reactions: CiG
We weren't talking about first-wave, Hamburgayboy, first wave is irrelevant to the conversation at hand since we should all be able to agree that it's black metal.

We were strictly talking second-wave, since that brings into context the main point which is later black/thrash.

You are the master of bringing irrelevant information to debates to make your points appear more legitimate than they actually are, and it legitimately causes me physical pain to continue to devolve myself to arguing with someone of such low intelligence.

@HamburgerBoy And there's no blatant example of Mayhem actually regressing, where you can witness an unambiguous desire to have worse production. Though it wouldn't be controversial to assume they internationally didn't seek out better production jobs.

We weren't talking about first-wave, Hamburgayboy, first wave is irrelevant to the conversation at hand since we should all be able to agree that it's black metal.

We were strictly talking second-wave, since that brings into context the main point which is later black/thrash.

You are the master of bringing irrelevant information to debates to make your points appear more legitimate than they actually are, and it legitimately causes me physical pain to continue to devolve myself to arguing with someone of such low intelligence.

How are you defining second-wave? If your definition is "whatever Mayhem/Burzum/Darkthrone says is the word of god" then fine, but none of those bands played black/thrash, and most black/thrash bands don't take audible influence from them. Bands like Witchaven are trying to be Endless Pain, not Transylvanian Hunger.

But they take the production and vocal styles which were a big part of second wave. It's not a difficult concept to grasp for anyone with two brain cells to rub together.

@HamburgerBoy And there's no blatant example of Mayhem actually regressing, where you can witness an unambiguous desire to have worse production. Though it wouldn't be controversial to assume they internationally didn't seek out better production jobs.

Well, the promotion of Live in Leipzig and whatnot hints at a regression. Deathcrush is actually pretty clean if anything compared to what one can find from up to DMDS. I'm pretty sure Euronymous, the primary brainchild of the Norwegian sound, said something about intentionally seeking out a shit sound, though I'd have to find a quote.

But they take the production and vocal styles which were a big part of second wave. It's not a difficult concept to grasp for anyone with two brain cells to rub together.

No they don't. The production and vocal styles of your average black/thrash band is far closer to a first-wave black metal band or even just straight-up thrash than to Transylvanian Hunger.

Listen to those three songs and tell me which of the last two better resembles the first.