The DEATH METAL Thread

IMO Wintersun is a mix of melodic death metal and powermetal. There are melodicdeath elements, and there are powermetal elements.

Generally speaking, people tend to label everything which is melodic and has growling as "melo-death". Which is quite silly. If all the powermetal bands started to growl, would they automatically be melodic death metal? No.

IMO it's the general thing. F.e. for me the main thing that keeps COB out of the Melodic Death Metal tag (at least in the early days, now they're more thrashy) is the drumming, that has always been more powermetalesque. Even though he has the skills, Jaska's never used half of them for COB music. He does some fills and some beats, but never anything too extreme or too DM.

Now you can start flaming me and telling me that OMGNOOB COB ARE POWER METULZ N HAVE ALWAYS BEEN!!!11!!11!1!!1!!

wintersun is folk death. Metal archives call it "Epic Melodic Death Metal"

Wintersun = Melodic Death Metal? lol.
More like Dragonforce feat. Shagrath :)

True Melodic Death Metal you find in Gothenburg:
Dark Tranquillity
At the Gates
In Flames

Who cares?

The CareBears care!

carebears4.jpg

Are you people totally fucking oblivious to the fact that THE MAIN characteristic of Power Metal is powerful, clean, and usually high pitched singing? Wintersun cannot really be classified to one specific genre, but "Epic Melodic Death Metal" sounds about right to me, and it certainly is not fucking Power Metal.

On topic, you guys should try The Monolith Deathcult. I only know their last album but it is AWESOME.

Last edited by a moderator:
metal archives says wintersun is Epic Melodic Death Metal, and if we can't believe in metal archives, what can we believe in?

and i've never heard of Monolith Deathcult, i'm going to have to check out more of their stuff

I haven't seen the following bands in this thread yet...

Impaled:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rj-DbgtSe4&feature=related[/ame]

Origin:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIMW0aHN0ks&feature=related[/ame]

Kronos:

And of course, Hypocrisy. Couldn't find a normal video for this song, so here's an interpretation:lol::

i don't like orgin for the same reason why i don't like arsis. however, hypocrisy is pure sex

speaking of zyklon, zyklon is awsome