The "Deliverance" Thread

I like Deliverance, by no means my favourite Opeth release, but I still throw it on every now and again, so it is not as if it is a redundant album. My favourite songs from the album would definitely be 'A Fair Judgement' and 'Master's Apprentice'.

I do like 'Deliverance', but I have heard that song so many times and it has perhaps lost a bit of its impact for me (in saying that it isn't like it is at 'Enter Sandman' levels yet :loco: hehe). 'Wreath' is a cool opening track and I like it because it is a bit different.

I don't mind 'By The Pain I See In Others' as it is different and with so many people discounting it (I imagine because Mike has rubbished it) it feels like a long-lost Opeth song to me, and it is so out there and abstract. I know people have complained about the flow of the song and it is a bit cut-and-paste - arrangement wise - but the actual parts are quality, and it is not as if, say 'Black Rose Immortal' isn't far worse in this aspect, yet it is highly regarded amongst some people.

While I would agree that Deliverance is not their strongest album, it still kicks arse!!

I do love all of the tracks, especially title track (with an excellent solo after an awesome build-up!) By The Pain I See in Others is a great track with a very creepy fade-out.

I liken this album to Morningrise, an album of brutality and depth.

SW is a great producer, his vocals and input have helped the band move forward from being 'just' a death metal band, they have improved immensely with each album since Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries is proof of that with Watershed being an evolution of all things - great music, vocals and performance.

Very simple song writing. Just compared the bland nature of Deliverance to Still Life after reading this. Still Life owns it. My top 4 Opeth Cds were all released in order, starting with Orchid ^_^
But yeah maybe you guys need a better sound system? : D

"without warning" loooool
and its hard to believe someone can say Opeths darkest hour is on this album...i dont feel like scrolling up to quote.
that part on Master's is really catchy and neat... that's all. the vocals at the 7 40ish mark dont even explode very well. I wish they could remaster reproduce this album with TIME

I wish they could remaster reproduce this album with TIME

See, I think the production of Deliverance is way better than on Still Life, mainly because of the drums, which are drowned in reverb + I find the drums to be rather boring, because they mostly play along to the track rather than accentuate different parts like on Deliverance.

But to each his own, I'm not a big fan of Still Life anyway :p

/\/\/\/\/\ Well, to be truthful the drum sound on both Still Life and Deliverance aren't that great, in my opinion. As in the above post, on Still Life they are drowned in a bit too much reverb (although the 5.1 SE went a long way to rectifying this, as most of the album, especially vocals and acoustic guitars had waaay too much reverb), and the Deliverance drum sound is just a bit flat and lifeless (almost the extreme opposite) and just aren't as in your face as they should be for a 'death metal' album - not enough forcefullness in the kick sound (although granted few metal bands seem to get this right and have too much of a clicky sound), and the guitar sound doesn't bite enough on that release for me - unlike, say, how it does on 'Heir Apparent' for example.

To Bid You Farewell?

My favorite on Morningrise!!

Opeth does that to me though. I think at one point, Deliverance was my favorite album, but it constantly changes. Recently my favorite has actually been Watershed. The last album I've listened to was Orchid. The Apostle in Triumph (or maybe Forest of October) is my favorite at this time.

...then again, Under the Weeping Moon blows me away on the Roundhouse Tapes. Shit, I can't decide.....:zombie:

after 7 years or smth of being an opeth fan, i've pretty much settled on this as my favorite of their albums fwiw

pretty much. morningrise is the only other one than comes close, but imo this album has not one flawless track. btpisio is probably actually my favorite off this album.

This was the album that knocked BWP from the top spot for me and it is still my favorite today. All the songs in it are awesome and I find it hard to pick a song from the other albums that tops the likes of Wreath, Deliverance and Master's Apprentices in particular. Those songs just annihilate, specially Wreath. By The Pain I see in Others is a very good experimental track which I find myself listening to quite often. If there is something negative that I could say about this album, it is that hard as I have tried to like it, the ending riff of A Fair Judgement just doesn't do it for me. I think the song is great without it. I also like for Absent Friends but I wish they would have done a bit more with it. Other than that, I think this album is a perfect 10.