The "Deliverance" Thread

Dec 27, 2006
In the last week or so, this has overtaken Still Life as my favourite Opeth album, and as I'm listening to it at the moment, and am in audio nirvana (as I always am when I listen to the 'peth) I thought I'd start a thread solely dedicated to this dark, brutal, yet immensely beautiful (and it seems, slightly under-rated) album. I'm actually a little disappointed no tracks from this album will be on the RT.

Favourite songs/parts? Discuss

Personally, I think you can't beat the outro riff on the title track. The rythm is just so gorgeous, can't get enough of it.

the songs aren't really that strong on this album apart from the title track. not a favorite album.

There are definitely parts of all the songs that are awesome; but as a whole, it's just not as good as some of their other releases imo. I'm not trying to bash on Opeth, but some of their most bland riffs are on this album; but they work in most cases. Overall, I still love this album. I especially love the weird little "circus" part of BtPISIO.

My favorite album by them by a relatively large margin. Dark, unpredictable, brutal. I don't give a shit if people keep saying some of the songs stretch on for too long or if the riffs aren't "strong enough"; I think it's an incredibly solid album. Deliverance and Master's Apprentices are my two favorite tracks off of it.

it's my favourite album as well ... perhaps it differs too much from the atmosphere of other albums, so a lot of people like it less, I don't know, but I love that album. the dark, chilling atmosphere, the amazingly beautiful interludes, the incredibly pounding rythms, ... oh well :)
like I said before, and a lot of people agree of course, the last song BTPISIO should have been worked out a bit better. but other than that, I love everything about Deliverance.

my favourite parts:
- of course the outro of Deliverance (the song)
- that part starting on 7:36 of the song Deliverance, very hypnotizing
- the way how A Fair Judgement en For Absent Friends really fit as a mellow interlude and the way in which we are trown in to the most evil part Opeth ever wrote with the start of Master's Apprentices right after that beautiful interlude.
- the very dark production
- the fact that there are only 6 songs on the album but almost all of them last about 12 minutes!!
- the unpredictability of the songs and sudden brutal parts, which also contributes to the evil feel the album has, it is like watching a chilling horror movie! (for which Damnation is a very good counterpart actually, also a soundtrack to a horror movie imo)

amazing album, perhaps the difficulties during recording and writing it worked inspiring somehow for the evil and dark sounding music on that album. if so, than I truely hope that Opeth will have one hell of a horrible time recording the next album :p

edit: but I don't mind that on RT there won't be songs of the album (although Deliverance will be on it I think?), because we had the Lamentations DVD which included 3 songs out of it.

I've said it a million times, but I think the production is sterile-sounding. And a tad bit too much SW vocals for my taste.

It has great moments, though. The title track destroys, although I sort of wish it didn't go so quickly into the mellow part (same criticism of the title track on BWP, actually).

Lopez's drumming is a definite highlight. Great balance of musicality and brutality.

edit: but I don't mind that on RT there won't be songs of the album (although Deliverance will be on it I think?), because we had the Lamentations DVD which included 3 songs out of it.

That's a good point, that I remembered soon as I posted this, but I only got around to ordering the DVD the other day, and havent got it yet (I know, sacrilage!) Just had another look at the RT tracklist, no Deliverance.

1 - When
2 - Ghost Of Perdition
3 - Under The Weeping Moon
4 - Bleak
5 - Face Of Melinda
6 - The Night And the Silent Water
7 - Windowpane
8 - Blackwater Park
9 - Demon Of The Fall

The title track and Master's Apprentices stand among my personal favourites from Opeth. For the rest, I think the album is not as solid as other Opeth releases. BTPISIO contains some cool moments but the whole song doesn't sound cohesive, the song structure is pretty bad imo. Yet, it's a really good album as a whole, just not as good for Opeth standards.

It's not that Deliverance is a bad Opeth album. There's no such thing. It's just that it's not as good as, say, Still Life or Blackwater Park are. Deliverance and Master's Apprentices are most definitely awesome, and A Fair Judgement is probably my favorite song ever, but the album as a whole feels a bit overlong and man, is the last track BTPISIO disappointing!

As stated before, by know means Opeths best work, Even MIke admits this, as they were so rushed in the studio from recording two albums for the price of one type thing. Anyone who thinks this is their best work has issues or just hasn't listened to the rest of the catalogue enough:p

And a tad bit too much SW vocals for my taste.

The only part I know of is the "aaah" part i MA :err:

I think Wreath and Deliverance are the best tracks on the album. When I started listening to Deliverance I thought MA and AFJ was the best ones, but now I think MA is a bit boring sometimes... AFJ is of course still one hell of a song, the outro-riff is so fucking evil :kickass: