The "Deliverance" Thread

I like all the songs including BTPISIO, but why does it have that weird voice effect at the end? I've always wondered what the idea behind it was...

Deliverence was the first Opeth CD I got, so it's kind of special to me. Definetely among my top three favorite Opeth albums. The best guitar solos is on that album in my opinion. A Fair Judgement is probably my favorite no-growl Opeth song of all. And the dark atmosphere through the whole album is just lovely... The only thing I don't like about it is the rather dry sounding growl vocals. Mike has done better both before and after that record, but in any other way I think Deliverence owns.

I don't really get why so many people don't like By The Pain I See In Others. I think it's rules. Probably the most horrormovie soundtrack like track on the album. Those nasty effect vocals at the beginning and the wierd tivoli music. Just brilliant...

wtf is with all the musical snobbery? go to some shred guitar forums if you want to argue all that bullshit, opeth's music is all about the beauty of their brutal/mellow dynamics and you can't really objectively measure such a thing...
anyways deliverance is definitely one of my favorites though it's one of the few opeth albums where i'll skip a song or two

Does the waltz part with the lyric "nothing ever changes" from BTPISIO remind anyone else of Faith No More? I love that part, and the whole album.

Deliverence as an album is actually pretty fucking good imo not as good as morningrise though i kinda prefer it to blackwater park atm but then again thats just what i like more at the moment. Deliverence is one of the best songs opeth have ever recorded and thats saying alot and the there is one of my favourite songs all time a fair judgement and of course Masters apprentices and Wreath i even like for absent friends :D. although by the pain i see in others isnt very well conrstructed a really is a cut below the rest which is rare for Opeth but it is still a good song.:Smokin:

Deliverance is a great album. It has really good atmosphere, soul. The songs are interesting and weird and cool.
Wreath is a strange case, it basically repeats the whole thing again and again for 11 minutes, but the song never seems to get old. There is something hypnotic in it.

Hmmmm I can't put my finger on it, it's just the way his voice sounds along with the whole vibe of the waltz part. I'll have to check on that... it has to be something off of Angel Dust or The Real thing... or maybe it's Album of the Year. I'll check. BTW, Angel Dust is an excellent album.

I just listened to BTPISIO again and specifically it's when Mike's sing's "changes" and his voice dips down to a pretty low note for him.

I love the Deliverance album. Is it my favorite Opeth album, no... But it does contain one of my favorite Opeth songs - A Fair Judgment. I know a few others on this thread have mentioned this song.

This entire album is worth its weight in gold solely for the folky/classical guitar interlude that starts @ 3:45, flows into the awesome "Lost track of time, In a flurry of smoke" line, then followed up with that smooth solo and additional rad solo and outro. Tasty!

I agree about Wreath, Deliverance and Master's Apprentice as well. This album was a gateway album for a few of my friends, along with Damnation.

I just noticed an error in the title track. There's some CLUNK-noise thingie at around point of 13.16-13-17. Can you hear it? Or is it just my copy? Have a listen guys.

Wreath is one of the most brutal and yet most beautiful songs I know of.
Deliverance is one of the most brutal and yet most beautiful songs I know of.
Master's Apprentice is one of the most brutal and yet most beautiful songs I know of.

A fair judgement got great solos and cool acoustic but sort of boring in its entirety (Opeth standards).
I'm not a big fan of interlude tracks (I prefer them inside other tracks, not as separate ones), but For absent friends is actually kinda cool. Hmm, what have we got left? Oh, BTPISIO... \m/

I'd say that Deliverance is my third favourite Opeth record after GR and SL.

I don't view Deliverance or Damnation as separate albums, so I don't think it's right to talk about one and not the other. The way I see it, Deliverance shows the most brutal, lengthy, unpredictable, etc side of 'Peth, while Damnation is almost like a stripped down, short, mellow version. So when I listen to them back to back, it sort of neutralizes itself to just regular old Opeth. Separated, to me, they aren't quite up to scrap with the rest of their work, but when I put them together, they absolutely shine.

Deliverance is my favorite album for many reasons other people mentioned here already. it was one of the first opeth records I heard and well, deliverance was the first song I ever heard so the whole album more or less holds a special place in my heart :)