The "Deliverance" Thread

I don't view Deliverance or Damnation as separate albums, so I don't think it's right to talk about one and not the other. The way I see it, Deliverance shows the most brutal, lengthy, unpredictable, etc side of 'Peth, while Damnation is almost like a stripped down, short, mellow version. So when I listen to them back to back, it sort of neutralizes itself to just regular old Opeth. Separated, to me, they aren't quite up to scrap with the rest of their work, but when I put them together, they absolutely shine.

You could do that with any albums from Opeth. Deliverance and Damnation ARE seperated and they sounds very different. I don't think we should link them together this way (even if I don't really care). Facts are that Deliverance is one very dark album and Damnation is a mellow album, like you said. I don't like Orchid so much, but I put Orchid and Morningrise together, so now I love Orchid. Erm. :rolleyes:

Wreath > Deliverence > Master's Apprentices > A Fair Judgment > For Absent Friends > By The Pain I See In Others - that's how I rank the songs. 1 and 2 are close, 3 and 4 are close, and 5 and 6 are...way too different to decide.

Wreath and Deliverence are very close I just made that decision because I often find myself fast-forwarding from 11ish to 13 minutes on Deliverence. The outro is fantastic, its just that once you've heard it for a minute....you've heard all there is to hear till that keyboard comes in really.

Facts are that Deliverance is one very dark album and Damnation is a mellow album, like you said.

I consider Damnation being the darker one.

Deliverance was the first Opeth album I bought (I think in early 2003), and from there it has had a heavy influence on my musical taste and also on my drumming. And I will never get the BTPISIO-hate, although that is only a forum thing I believe.

Absolutely love this album!

Wreath is one of the most underrated opeth tracks and it is on one of their most underrated albums. Wreath is probably in my top 3 favorite songs by opeth period. Anyways this album is very solid and is my 2nd favorite behind still life.

Also I dont understand the complaints about BTPISIO being strange... to me it sounds similar to the Lotus Eater as far as strange goes and not too many people complain about that song.

Actually it has been my favorite Opeth-album since I heard it the first time, tho I tend switch it for Still Life in periods. This being said I already owned MAYH and BWP when I heard Deliverance. For some reason, the timing was perfect, I was blown away. An amazing album.

I didn't read the whole thread, but as for my 2 cents:

I LOVE Deliverance and i'd say it is my favorite Opeth-Album, definitely. Apart from the obvious heaviness and brutality mixed with beautiful mellow parts (as they always do) this record has a certain atmosphere that i actually can't describe. I'm not sure if it's because Steven Wilson was involved, but especially that Album has kinda "radioactive vibe" that i totally dig. Some Porcupine Tree-records have that as well... anyway, that mixed with the typical Opeth-Trademarks makes Deliverance really unique and special to me.

This could be called "another Opeth album", except that it's not exactly, though it is anyway. :lol:

I mean, it's pretty similar to Orchid, except that there's no song with only clean singing, and it's got one more instrumental...and Deliverance doensn't have a version with a bonus track, which is wonderfull. :)

I think that this album didn't get its time to be written and stuff, everything was so quick ! I believe it could be better if they wrote everything and rehearsed before getting in the studio !
I started listening from Orchid till Ghost Reverie when i first got Opeth Discography (as with any other band ) and i felt Deliverance was kinda step back, if you listen to albums like SL and BWP and then Deliverance ! It's good tho

This could be called "another Opeth album", except that it's not exactly, though it is anyway. :lol:

I mean, it's pretty similar to Orchid, except that there's no song with only clean singing, and it's got one more instrumental...and Deliverance doensn't have a version with a bonus track, which is wonderfull. :)

o_O I was pretty sure there was an only clean vocal track on both Orchid and Deliverance...

after 7 years or smth of being an opeth fan, i've pretty much settled on this as my favorite of their albums fwiw