The Doom Metal thread

I'm no huge Doom fan, but I like early Paradise Lost (Gothic especially), My Dying Bride and early Cathedral. The British generally do it best I think.

Also, Disembowelment were awesome for their time.

I have Candlemass's discog, two Cathedral albums and some Black Sabbath discs.

I know I could probably turn my head and find fifty more bands like these, but how does some trad candlemass-esque doom sound? Thanks.

As far as Epic Doom Metal, you cant go wrong with:

Solitude Aeturnus
Isole
Heathendom
All Soul's Day
Thunderstorm
Last Chapter
Well of Souls

those fit into that Candlemass-esque mold

whats wrong with Funeral Doom? thats one of the best subgenres of doom there is.

I dunno, the fact that it's fucking HORRIBLE? And it's not Doom Metal...it's hardly even music, most of the time. There are the exceptions obviously, like Skepticism's Stormcrowfleet but they are very few & far between. It's incredibly boring and Im not into the defeatist attitude of most of it either.

I, at one time, dug pretty deeply into it and found some goodies but in hindsight, even the goodies are horrible when compared to actual kickass METAL music.

Funeral Doom is something that I have to be in the mood for. I can't just pop on Skepticism when I'm doing the dishes or driving to work. I prefer it to be really late at night and certainly sobriety is out of the question. I generally tend to listen to other styles of doom more than funeral doom, such as doom death or romantic doom. I wouldn't say it was horrible though. Just extremely specific which is a limitation but also fulfills something that not many other styles of music can fulfill.

I'm new to this genre and I kinda like the slow-tempo chug aspects of this genre but could anybody tell me any bands I should check out?

I prefer the sound of Bathory's Nordland where its slow-tempo and full of heaviness but long, you know? I seemingly get the idea doom metal is kinda like this. What do you think?

I dunno, the fact that it's fucking HORRIBLE? And it's not Doom Metal...it's hardly even music, most of the time. There are the exceptions obviously, like Skepticism's Stormcrowfleet but they are very few & far between. It's incredibly boring and Im not into the defeatist attitude of most of it either.

I, at one time, dug pretty deeply into it and found some goodies but in hindsight, even the goodies are horrible when compared to actual kickass METAL music.

Wow! You fucking suck.

Try an Australian doom band called Mournful Congregation.
They're kind of an essential funeral doom. I already have all Mournful Congregation.

You don't do much justice to your username, sir.

That's pretty hilarious considering your last.fm list clearly visible in your signature with Black Sabbath, Warning, Pentagram, and Against Nature (and Cirith Ungol, Pagan Altar, and Upwards Of Endtime). :lol: But of course apparently Traditional Doom is no longer Doom Metal...I guess it's not slow enough.

You'd hardly think that saying that good funeral doom is EXTREMELY hard to come by was such a stretch... The only funeral doom I like is Skepticism, Thergothon and some Evoken, actually...

That's pretty hilarious considering your last.fm list clearly visible in your signature with Black Sabbath, Warning, Pentagram, and Against Nature (and Cirith Ungol, Pagan Altar, and Upwards Of Endtime). :lol: But of course apparently Traditional Doom is no longer Doom Metal...I guess it's not slow enough.
The argument was based on funeral doom metal. Funeral doom metal IS doom metal, which is the only point I'm trying to make, Doomcifer. Funeral and Drone take one extreme metal subgenre and take it one step further to being more extreme. I respect everybody's taste as everything, but funeral doom not being doom at all is a notion I can't be supportive much of.