The Doom Metal thread

There are a lot of people who don't consider Funeral Doom Metal to be Doom Metal. And I certainly don't think that Mournful Congregation should be in the same subgenre either.

I would not consider Evoken funeral doom, they just don't sound like other bands that I have heard labelled funeral doom. Evoken is one of my favorite bands period and embrace the emptiness is just an amazing album. ETE is very interesting musically for being a slow album. I have heard some bands called funeral doom and just did not like them.

"Funeral Doom" IS NOT Doom Metal. It's not hard to understand. Just because it is slow and heavy doesnt make it Doom Metal. Doom Metal was around a long time ago and whatever weird reason why these bands decided to adopt the term, despite clearly being TOTALLY different is beyond me. A lot of "Funeral Doom" isnt even metal, or even music for that matter...but that is a totally different discussion is open to even more debate.

And dont get me started on drone...thats just noise. But if people enjoy it, all the power to them. Just don't call it Doom Metal.

"Funeral Doom" IS NOT Doom Metal. It's not hard to understand. Just because it is slow and heavy doesnt make it Doom Metal. Doom Metal was around a long time ago and whatever weird reason why these bands decided to adopt the term, despite clearly being TOTALLY different is beyond me. A lot of "Funeral Doom" isnt even metal, or even music for that matter...but that is a totally different discussion is open to even more debate.

And dont get me started on drone...thats just noise. But if people enjoy it, all the power to them. Just don't call it Doom Metal.
I get your point, and I do agree now. Funeral Doom metal is not a subgenre of Doom but a seperate genre in itself. And addressing the second argument, it could be considered metal for primarily two reasons, I believe.

1. The atmosphere, according which most things considered metal get to justify their classification.

2. The 'obscureness'. I'm aware of how strange it sounds to be a criteria but that's how metal itself is viewed from the outside, the notion which apparently affects the community itself on the inside too.

I personally haven't listened to much Doom Metal (or traditional 'doom metal', as some would call it). I do, on the other hand, own quite a large number of funeral doom and drone albums. You're right.. Black Sabbath aren't comparable to Skepticism or Esoteric in any way. The atmospheres generated through their respective music are entirely different, but the approach of both their bands is Doom nevertheless, despite the color in shades.. also reached for in a way different from the other band.

Well, you can only keep stripping away at something before it totally loses it's identity. Right?

Doom Metal is Heavy Metal in it's purest form. For example, the first Metal album was also a Doom Metal album. Although the term didnt really come into fruition until the early 80's.

Back in the mid-90's, labels and promoters were trying to lump in "stoner Rock" bands with Doom Metal and if you do some research on it, you'll see how well that went over. Especially a day in age where downloading wasnt prevalent. Imagine being recommended something that you thought was X and you spend your hard earned money on it, only to find out it sounds absolutely nothing like X.

Im not gonna get to deep into it because it usually brings about knee-jerk reactions from people who have only been listening to, or are familiar with metal from the past 10 years or so. So, that said, I appreciate you putting together a thoughtful response.

Back in the mid-90's, labels and promoters were trying to lump in "stoner Rock" bands with Doom Metal and if you do some research on it, you'll see how well that went over. Especially a day in age where downloading wasnt prevalent. Imagine being recommended something that you thought was X and you spend your hard earned money on it, only to find out it sounds absolutely nothing like X.

Mate, I was a victim of this on more than one occasion, as a student. I couldn't bloody afford to buy utter shit, but thanks to a) crap mags and b) crap interweb reviews, I bought about a dozen fucking half baked Kyuss clones labelled as "doom".

Mind you, given the choice of listening to them or most "Funeral Doom" (most, not all), I'd pick the van driving skateboard crowd any day of the week.

I want to talk about Evoken since they're beyond good. Dario's piano section over the guitars in lost kingdom of darkness is so fucking good it's one of the best sections ever recorded in heavy music period.

Doom metal needs more piano!

Fuck the damn vernacular already; one is going on how Doom metal is a synonym for heavy metal, while others are stating (which is what I have heard almost universally from others as well) that funeral doom (and by extension all other "newer" forms of doom) are merely the after-effects of new artistic innovations.

The point of the lumping of both genre's was due to the lyrical and aural intent dammit! It's a form of progression.

edit:
Doom metal needs more piano!

I agree with this.

You're so tough man. Will you kick my ass while listening to motorhead please.

What if a female was playing the piano in the doom band, say some older widow ?.

I dunno, the fact that it's fucking HORRIBLE? And it's not Doom Metal...it's hardly even music, most of the time. There are the exceptions obviously, like Skepticism's Stormcrowfleet but they are very few & far between. It's incredibly boring and Im not into the defeatist attitude of most of it either.

I, at one time, dug pretty deeply into it and found some goodies but in hindsight, even the goodies are horrible when compared to actual kickass METAL music.

opinions are subjective. I enjoy Thergothon, Worship and Skepticism a lot. but eh, different strokes for different folks, I guess.