The hockey thread

He is so anti-clutch, I'm not sure what to think. He was ok his first year with the team, but three consecutive years of terrible performances against Chicago, and an embarassing performance against Boston last year in the finals.

And just when you think he's got everything together, he let 3 goals in on 7 shots against Buffalo the other night. Schneider isn't prone to poor/inconsistent play and has performed well against those aforementioned teams this season. Luongo didn't play against those teams for obvious reasons, regardless of whatever excuse the team gave.

Schneider, as any backup, still benefits from playing so few games. Look at Tukka Rask's stats in Boston this season, those would go down if he was their first goalie.

Regarding Crosby, I hope he doesn't reach that insane level of play again this season, what with Malkin also being so good right now. I don't know if any team could stop the Penguins in that case.

Schneider, as any backup, still benefits from playing so few games. Look at Tukka Rask's stats in Boston this season, those would go down if he was their first goalie.

Regarding Crosby, I hope he doesn't reach that insane level of play again this season, what with Malkin also being so good right now. I don't know if any team could stop the Penguins in that case.

I'm not even looking at their statistics though, I'm critiquing their game-by-game performances and Schneider has proven to be the better, more reliable goaltender in the last couple of years. And moving closer towards the playoffs, Schneider is a proven clutch performer, while Luongo is far from it.

And I would argue that backups are actually at a disadvantage by not playing routinely so it may harder for them to get back into their groove. However, backups typically don't get the call to play the big games. But for example: earlier this year in Boston when the Bruins were on a hot streak, tearing up the league & winning 9-0 games, Schneider apparently got the call on the basis that he was from Boston. Did anyone actually believe that was the real reason?

And is just me, or does Malkin seem to play a lot better whenever there's no Crosby around? Last time Crosby was gone for a while, he won the scoring title, and he might win it again this year.

Am I the only one who thought last year's Stanley Cup sucked? NYR would be cool, and the Blues because that turnaround is remarkable

Yes, you are the only one!

Last years Cup was outstanding...everything playoff hockey is and should be. The nastiness that was on display and created between the two teams kind of came out of knowhere and it just grew. Made for an intense grueling series. There was enough skill on display as well and you witnessed one of the greatest runs from a goaltender ever in the history of the NHL.

Outstanding? Every home team won in a beatdown until game 7 when the Bruins took out the Canucks..I think you're biased here man

3 of the games were decided by 1 goal...far from beatdowns. Sure there were a couple of Boston blowouts but those scores were secondary to the nastiness and intensity that I eluded to. You had the bigtime Horton hit / injury, as well as some neat little storylines developing. Maybe I'm being biased and the fact that the Bruins had 2 exciting 7-game series prior to the Finals added to it...made for a one hell of a ride! Maybe the finals were'nt outstanding but they sure didn't suck as you put it.

Without being biased and on a side note for the hell of it. I don't know how many saw it?...but last years (1-0) Bos v TB series game-7 was one of the best games ever seen. That one out of the entire playoffs really stood out for me. Extremely well-played and both goaltenders were insane!

Montreal is far from being potentially great...lol (sys riff). The fact that they are in the position they're in...a non-factor...is a major embarassment. Very amusing!

You would know this how? Let me just freshen your mind here we've been playing the majority of the season with a defensive line-up of consisted of rookies...Our only vet on the Blue-line before we acquired Kaberle was Hal Gill and he had more games played then our other 5 D-Men combined...

The problem has been this all season, lack of scoring and burying chances which we've had alot of and the lack of playing a full 60 minutes it was always a 3rd period collapse... Not to mention the horrible Powerplay.

I will guarantee you Montreal finishes in the top 5 next season in the East. I'm not saying this because I'm cocky. I'm a saying this from a the bigger picture this team this season underachieved big time. And I'm sorry if you fail to see it.

Oh believe me I see it...no problem there lol. Its just imo this type of franchise should never see the bottom of the barrel...no excuses! Sure teams have thier dips and moments but I'd say the same if this was Detroit, Boston, Pens or other sports teams like the Yankees, Celtics, Lakers, Steelers etc.

Oh believe me I see it...no problem there lol. Its just imo this type of franchise should never see the bottom of the barrel...no excuses! Sure teams have thier dips and moments but I'd say the same if this was Detroit, Boston, Pens or other sports teams like the Yankees, Celtics, Lakers, Steelers etc.

I agree with you. But at the same time, you can't expect to finish in the playoffs every year, things change over time. But whatever.

I think removing Jacques Martin as head coach was a bad move, they were only 2 points out of a playoff spot before they dismissed him. Now look what has happened since.

The nice thing is we have 2 guys who are approaching 30 goals on the season.

I agree with you. But at the same time, you can't expect to finish in the playoffs every year, things change over time. But whatever.

I think removing Jacques Martin as head coach was a bad move, they were only 2 points out of a playoff spot before they dismissed him. Now look what has happened since.

The nice thing is we have 2 guys who are approaching 30 goals on the season.

Woah dude...its your Montreal Canadiens! You have to expect to make the playoffs every year! That was kind of my point. Hell, last year they took the Stanley Cup Bruins to seven games and had chances to win that series. Atleast (even in a down year) get in the top eight and take your chances...you never know.

I will say that in todays NHL success seems to be the combination of good goaltending (of course), discipline, grit and especially the ability of rolling out four real competative lines. Its the teams that play that "heavy" game. Yes, this can even work in the playoffs against teams with 1 or 2 superstar lines as we have seen. Maybe Montreal has simply had a hard time developing or somehow figuring this out?

Woah dude...its your Montreal Canadiens! You have to expect to make the playoffs every year! That was kind of my point. Hell, last year they took the Stanley Cup Bruins to seven games and had chances to win that series. Atleast (even in a down year) get in the top eight and take your chances...you never know.

I will say that in todays NHL success seems to be the combination of good goaltending (of course), discipline, grit and especially the ability of rolling out four real competative lines. Its the teams that play that "heavy" game. Yes, this can even work in the playoffs against teams with 1 or 2 superstar lines as we have seen. Maybe Montreal has simply had a hard time developing or somehow figuring this out?

I have the expectation of making the playoffs every year, but it's just bound to happen where you won't make it.

I'm loving what I've seen from the Landeskog kid. Before this season I thought he'd pan out as a well-rounded 20 goal 50-60 point player, but now I'd rather say that he'll be averaging 30 goals and 80 points once he's reached that plateau. What's more; without even having seen it I know he's going to be a great player in any type of playoffs. He'll captain Sweden to Olympic gold in 2018.