The Most Universally Respected Bands (among metalheads)

In that case I respect all bands whose music I've heard, even those who I think suck, due to any of these factors:
I don't understand their music despite numerous attempts to "get" it.
It doesn't do anything for me.
Their music is generic and sounds like a watered-down version of better bands.
I overplayed their music to the point where it became annoying.

Then what is respect? To hold no grudge is to respect their existence.

Yeah, but there's a difference between only a handful of people knowing the band and the ENTIRE contingent of people who listen to metal knowing the band. I never knew Windir existed before someone mentioned it in this thread.

Besides, respecting their existence is not what we, as metalheads, care about, and I would go so far as to say that that point is pretty irrelevant here. As consumers of music, we care more about the bands' music than about them as existing human beings. Respecting the existence of a band (for their influence, ties to other bands, or some other factor) is different from respecting the band for producing music which cannot be annulled by personal bias simply because it encompasses everything a band in a certain style (the fans of which are being directly addressed in the question; hence, metal in this case) should do.

Even if you read the simple question that was asked, it is obvious what is meant by the question.

All I wanna know is... who are the most well-respected metal bands? Metalheads are usually into a ton of more obscure bands, but are there still ones that most people will agree on as being great?

There is a huge difference between respect and a lack of disrespect, specially when that lack of disrespect is based on a lack of exposure or knowledge. Is it really that elusive of a concept? Respect is earned. How can a band most people haven't heard of be respected by most people?

DICTIONARY.COM.
Respect.

3. esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment.
5. the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.
7. favor or partiality.
9. to hold in esteem or honor: I cannot respect a cheat.
10. to show regard or consideration for: to respect someone's rights.

Wow. Such discussion caused over my mention of a band.

So, since I have suggested Windir and seeing as how you folk have spent the past couple days talking about whether or not they qualify, has anyone bothered to check them out? I'm actually rather surprised that people here don't know of them.

I also see that no one has contested my suggestion of Atheist yet, either. You guys know about them, right?

I assure you that Windir is not even close to being one of the most respected bands in Metal.

There is a huge difference between respect and a lack of disrespect, specially when that lack of disrespect is based on a lack of exposure or knowledge. Is it really that elusive of a concept? Respect is earned. How can a band most people haven't heard of be respected by most people?

You see, that's why this is a bit of a tricvk question. A lot of you guys can drop obscure bands all you want in this thread & only a couple of people might comment on, but to find some bands that say 95% of this forum will at least like enough to respect is hard.

I'm flabbergasted that so many people nmentioned Slayer in this thread. I post over at a couple of guitar forums & everyone there hates them for the most part, but probably because they've put out so many terrible solos. That's why I go against the grain & like Seasons best of their work, it's the best constructed & most thought out right behind South of Heaven. I would not say they were one of the most well respected bands in my finds.

The over all band that I think fits this description best just might be Iron Maiden. Bands such as Bathory, Empreror & Suffocation are normally well respected by their peers, but their music did not reach enough people to qualify for this IMO. I'm not saying that these bands are obscure necessarily, but you're hard pressed to find people that are really familiar with all three of these bands.

In the normal world yes, but not for metal heads.

I'm sorry but not every Metal Head is familiar with Bathory & it doesn't mean they've been living under a rock. Of course, technically the same thing could apply to Maiden yet it is much more unlikely.

By your theory here's my list without going too obscure -

Burzum
Emperor
Suffocation
Neurosis
Morbid Angel
Therion (hmmmm, maybe... I haven't heard much shit talk)
Limbonic Art
Atheist
Spiral Architect